1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Double Secret Banned
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every class has a “That Guy” (and you don’t want to be him). This thread might be a place to discuss his antics. Here are a few I’ve seen:

- Instructor yells for the class to form a line at 10 yards. TG is at 8.

- TG keeps shooting after everybody else heard and heeded a “Cease Fire” command.

- TG starts shooting while the drill is still being discussed or after the “Standby” call.

- TG shoots the wrong target, making his neighbor’s group look like hot garbage.

- TG argues with the instructor. The entire class paid to listen to one guy and it wasn’t “That Guy”.

Fortunately, TG is usually gone after the first day. What TG stunts have you seen?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Y'mean like sitting in a class where everyone has been told that ALL guns must be - and remain in - a holster.....and they pull it out of their pocket an' start waving it around?

After a 5-minute dissertation by an instructor that called TG's familial heritage into serious question, he was booted from the class.

Good times!

Oh - and, yeah - it was loaded.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a lot of TG stories regarding rifle ranges and gunshops. Some downright frightening. I won't go into any details but suffice to say whether we like it or not, there are gun owners that definitely DON'T help the cause. As far has handguns go, I am about to take my first class. I am going into it with the attitude of keep my eyes and ears WIDE open and my mouth shut. Looking forward to learning and working hard at not being TG.

·
Registered
823 Posts
A long time ago while taking the required 2 day class for concealed carry permit. A TG (which happened to be a lady) was having issues with the cheap .357 revolver she had been advised to purchase. RO asked the class if anyone had a spare pistol she could use. I said yes, she can use an extra revolver I brought a "Python 6" barrel" Well in front of God and everyone asked "is it a good gun that's accurate and I won't have any problems with?"
RO told her it was very generous of me to let her use this fine revolver and if she couldn't fire a passing core with this revolver she didn't need a permit anyway!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Y'mean like sitting in a class where everyone has been told that ALL guns must be - and remain in - a holster.....and they pull it out of their pocket an' start waving it around?

After a 5-minute dissertation by an instructor that called TG's familial heritage into serious question, he was booted from the class.

Good times!

Oh - and, yeah - it was loaded.
This is the best reason to train with no-nonsense instructors. If you can educate ignorance, kick out stupid!

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is why I despise “amateur ranges.” We all have to learn somewhere and I’m certainly not “God’s greatest gift to firearms.”

Just a few weeks of shooting with someone good and safe makes all the difference. Good habits become clear very quickly.

It is so great to shoot at a range with others who are safe and knowledgeable, to chat a bit, and maybe have the opportunity to try each other’s guns and learn something.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I tend to have a string personality and enjoy talking and joking or busting some ones chops.

But when it comes time to train or learn I keep my mouth shut and sink into the crowed.

“That guy” always comes forward.

The only time I’ve questioned an instructor is when they wanted us to practice reholstering without looking at your holster. He tried over and over to demonstrate but the sweat shield on his CrossBread holster was so worn out it was flopping down over the top of his holster and he was muzzling himself to try and flip the top of the holster up with the end of the slide.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
The only time I’ve questioned and instructor is when the wanted us to practice reholstering without looking at your holster. He tried over and over to demonstrate but the sweat shield on his CrossBread holster was so worn out it was flopping down over the top of his holster and he was muzzling himself to try and flip the top of the holster up with the end of the slide.
It's called Law of Natural Selection. Just stand back and let it work.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
If you ever want to see TG's in their natural habitat, go to one of the Pennsylvania State Games Lands target ranges on a Friday evening or weekend. You'll see them standing at the firing line doing mag dumps with a random collection of guns into the berm. When you finally have a chance to call a cease fire so that you can put up a target, you can count on them to be fiddling with their guns while you're down range.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
TG was in the shop yesterday and really wanted to show me the long trigger on his SW Bodyguard, even though I assured him I was familiar with them. At one point he tried pulling it from his pocket. I didn’t let him pull it out as I have no interest in TG demonstrating anything at the gun counter, with a loaded gun

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Not a class but several years ago my wife and I had gone to an indoor range. TG in the lane beside me somehow put a round into the ceiling. We immediately left.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am That Guy at the range that YELLS "Please don't handle fire arms when a man is down range" I am then treated like an a hole.
Another time I returned from down range. A rifle was on a bench pointing down range with the bolt closed. I stopped everyone and said who owns this rifle? I found the owner (there were about 10 people there) and asked him to read rule 8 which was posted right above his rifle. Guns were supposed to be in the rack action open. He said "Who the F are YOU?" I said no one. I packed my stuff and left. I turned him to the safety officer and after a few missed chances to re take the safety program he was relieved of his membership.
Usually when I speak to some one about handling a fire arm when some one is down range, I get the response "Its not loaded"

"Stand behind the yellow line while people are down range"
"Don't load your fire arm until you are on the firing line"
I am THAT GUY

David

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Reactions: xerts1191

·
Registered
914 Posts
"Stand behind the yellow line while people are down range"
"Don't load your fire arm until you are on the firing line"
I am THAT GUY
Having been raised in a family of hunters/shooters, gun safety was drilled into my head by my grandparents on down, so I'm not even slightly bashful at a range. If it's relatively minor, I try to use some humor (sure hope ya don't blow a hole in the roof with that thing rather than keeping it pointed down range) to:

"CLEAR YOUR WEAPON AND GET THE HELL AWAY FROM THE LINE!"

Some guys weren't raised around guns - I get it. But their mistake can cost someone ELSE their life - and that's nothing to be "polite" about.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I saw a guy one time remove the magazine and clear his pistol, then pull the trigger after the instructor called “hammers down”. He did all that to lower the hammer. It was terrifying.
@Mtek I have very little experience with outdoor ranges and only three (recent) years back into shooting so I guess I have to be TG on this thread. If I was on the firing line and someone said “hammers down”, if my 1911 was in condition 1, I think I’d do the same thing unless someone told me to do differently. SSS Sorry So Stupid. I have a lot to learn and would appreciate it if you guys could teach me here so I don’t pi$$ anyone off at a range. Thanks and again SSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Like the kid at the CCW class I took who came day 1 with a loaded concealed firearm?
and then..
wait for it....
In the middle of the class he asked the instructor if there was any other way to get his CCW besides going to the Sheriffs office. Why? - because he had a warrant out for his arrest!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts