1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 01911 Carbonia blue which has been shot and is not a perfect NIB collector piece. I shoot it a couple times a year because I like to shoot everything but it is not in the regular rotation. I still have the outer box and the blue custom shop box so long term there is some collector value I guess.

I am looking at building a Retro sleeper 1911 for my next build. Something like this. I was considering a new 01911C with the new rollmarks and NM barrel but I keep thinking the Carbonia blue would be even more special. Am I crazy to use the somewhat collectible O1911 Carbonia?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve seen about a dozen builds using these are base guns
I know Yost and Burton liked to use them for builds but this was when they were $900 NIB guns.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I just finished cleaning one of the new C models, it's a 38 superb and am pleased with what I got for the money spent. If I were considering such a project I would leave the CS gun alone and use one of newer products. But that's just what I would do, it's your money and your guns so do what tickles your fancy

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I would build what you have now, you enjoy shooting it why not make it better.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they are still only selling for $1200-1400. Decent sir a grail gun custom build
Yeah I agree when you think about it vs the overall build it is not that bad but the gun looks great as it is. I am torn.

Reactions: KS95B40

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Beautiful gun as is as well. Pretty cool finish? Is it durable?

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,499 Posts
IMO, the Carbonia guns are a bad option for a base gun since you lose the premium you paid for the finish if the gun gets cut on at all. There are only a handful of shops that can do it. You are better off starting with a black oxide gun that can usually be found cheaper and having it finished in carbonia/charcoal blue after the work is complete if thats the look you prefer

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beautiful gun as is as well. Pretty cool finish? Is it durable?
This is one of the big down falls of the carbonia blue in my experience. It is not very durable. It is harder to maintain than a standard blue which is hard enough on a gun that gets shot often which this gun will. There are only a handful of people who still do it.

IMO, the Carbonia guns are a bad option for a base gun since you lose the premium you paid for the finish if the gun gets cut on at all. There are only a handful of shops that can do it. You are better off starting with a black oxide gun that can usually be found cheaper and having it finished in carbonia/charcoal blue after the work is complete if thats the look you prefer
Yeah I have been looking for a WWI Black Army from the same timeframe. I don't like the new ones because they lack the pony and some of the rollmarks are in the wrong place but the ones I have seen all end up being $1300+.

Reactions: Usp45ct

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,499 Posts
This is one of the big down falls of the carbonia blue IMHO. It i not very durable. It is harder to maintain than a standard blue which is hard enough on a gun that gets shot often which this gun will.

Yeah I have been looking for a WWI Black Army from the same timeframe. I don't like the new ones because they lack the pony and some of the rollmarks are in the wrong place but the ones I have seen all end up being $1300+.

Yes-i wasn't disparaging the gun-they are beautiful but if you are paying for a carbonia repro, it doesnt make sense to cut it up and oxide blue it...just find an oxide gun!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes-i wasn't disparaging the gun-they are beautiful but if you are paying for a carbonia repro, it doesnt make sense to cut it up and oxide blue it...just find an oxide gun!
If I was going to do the custom work on it I would most likely refinish in carbonia blue. The other part is that unlike a Black Army I already have one in my possession.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts