07-present Chevy Silverado gas owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1911fanatic, Apr 29, 2019.

1. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I own a 2014 Silverado 1500. It is equipped with the 5.3L gen5 V8. This engine is has a really retarded “feature” , I call it a curse, known as active fuel management (AFM) for short.

This system is ecu controlled and it shuts 4 cylinders off to “improve” mpg. This nonsense leads to collapsed lifters/valve train issues.

Now, to my question/plan:
    I’ve been looking at the range technology AFM disabler. It plugs into the OBD II port. What it does, is, it does not allow the ecu to command 4 cylinder mode. No tuning required.

Does anybody have experience with one of these? The reviews that I’ve seen/read have been 90% positive. Cost is $200 from range-technology.

Anyway, any feedback is welcome. I really hate this system. I bought a V8 truck and I don’t give a rats ass about mpg, if I did, I would have purchased a car.

The alternative is to buy and have installed, an afm elimination kit, which consists of a new cam, lifers, gaskets etc. the catch? Its really not that expensive, 375-500 bucks. The real catch is I’d have to pay someone to do this job, since it is beyond my capabilities. So the range device seems to be the way to go. At least, until a lifter does fail.

Thoughts?

Rangetechnology.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock2740 likes this.
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The programmers work well. My brother in law has ran his Silverado 80k miles with the disabler in place. No issues to date. He is getting 21mpg if he drives 65ish

KS95B40 and 1911fanatic like this.

3. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Well I on all of my gas Chevy and GMC trucks (2014 6.2 Denali last GM) use a tuner that disables that feature and adds performance. They work great but do not know anyone who just did the AFM disable feature know they exist but are not very cost effective.

4. 1911fanatic

Nov 27, 2011
    Thanks fellas. @busadave, why are they not cost effective?

I’d probably go with a custom tune to rid myself of afm, but with the upcoming expenditure for the wet basement, the disabler will have to due.

Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming! Oh and feel free to add pics.

5. dougwtx

dougwtx Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
    First thing I did when I had my 2015 lease Sierra was disable the DoD/4 cylinder mode via a Diablo iTune and used their canned tunes. When I turned the lease in and purchased a 2018 Sierra, I used Diablew and had him do a custom tune. The 4cyl mode is deactivated. Its amazing how much extra power these engines have using custom tunes and gas mileage is hardly affected. I've actually got better mileage using the tunes.

6. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018

See the post above. That is what I am saying. You don't get much for your money with the route you are taking imho.

1911fanatic likes this.
  7. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    A programmer can allow the user to update settings for tire size changes, performance characteristics and reprogram transmission shifts. Then there is towing modes and gas mileage improvement modes. The disabler is a one-trick pony. A programmer is a much more versatile tool.

8. blue steel 55

blue steel 55 Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Also look into replacing the driver side valve cover with an aftermarket version that has the PCV moved to a new placement. My Silverado was using a over a quart of oil every thousand miles. Oil consumption has ceased. A lot of good videos on You Tube concerning these issues. I was told that I needed a $8500.00 engine replacement. Turned out to be number 7 spark plug was toast due to valve cover/PCV issue.

KS95B40 and 1911fanatic like this.
  9. 1911fanatic

Nov 27, 2011
    I agree with you, as I said, I have about 5 grand worth of basement repair that is going to be done soon (previous owner covered it up). If money were available, I’d go the cam kit route and just physically get rid of it and have a custom tune done at the same time.

What year is your truck?

10. blue steel 55

blue steel 55 Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2015
  11. TexasBB

TexasBB Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 23, 2014
    I have a 2017 and had no idea there were issues with the 4cyl mode. I can’t tell when it goes to 4 unless I have that specific screen that has an indicator, and one fifty mike stretch I got almost 26 mpg. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed in newer models or is it still an issue?

Glock2740 likes this.
  12. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    I had the Range that disabled V4. It worked great. I no longer have a GM with AFM, so I would sell you my Range, if you’re interested.

Mine was on a 2013, from late 2013/early 2014 until December 2017, when I traded it in.

13. 1911fanatic

Nov 27, 2011
    The afm/dod has been known to cause lifters to get stuck in the collapsed position. When the ecu/ecm commands v4 mode, solenoids activate and use high pressure oil to collapse the inside of the lifter while the outside, which has the roller continues to follow the cam. It’s hard to explain. They are like a sleeve inside another sleeve that has pins that move back and forth to lock the 2 sleeves together.

These pins can break and cause the lifter to get stuck on the collapsed position. When this happens, you will hear lifter/rocket tap.

That being said, a poorly timed v4 event can result in lifter failure.
    I can’t speak to the 16 and up trucks, having not driven one. But I think they are probably the same as mine.

All I want to do at this time is disable the afm/v4 mode as cheaply as I can at this time. I’m not looking to add a bunch of power. I feel the truck is adequate ( I use this term loosely).

I recommend that you do that too. There are other ways to improve mpg. But gm does one thing really well, they come out with an absolute bad ass v8 and the shoot themselves in the foot by putting this crap on it, making it, IMO, less reliable in the long term.
    If you leave your truck alone, change the oil every 5k or sooner. I think it’s important to keep the piling system and valve train clean.

Glock2740 and TexasBB like this.
  14. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    Hate to open this can of worms but it is too late for a 14 but the DI motors need a catch can. Used them for years and have one on my modified C7 Z06--will not believe what comes out of them! Oil, water Yuck!!!

1911fanatic and FWoo45 like this.
  15. TexasBB

TexasBB Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 23, 2014
    Thanks. I own mine but wondering if it will void the warranty.....

Glock2740 likes this.
  16. nikerret

Mar 2, 2019
    I had mine on through the warranty period and had it in the dealer a few times. If you remove the Range, I don’t believe they can see it was on there, at least that’s what they said. What it will do is make V4 less likely to kick in, when you take the Range off, since it looks at past history to make decisions for current driving settings.

1911fanatic, FWoo45 and Glock2740 like this.
  17. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I have a 2018 Z71 with this silliness on it.
    Obviously, I’m sure I’ll have to get past warranty before I can install one of these, but this sounds like a definite plan for sure.
    I also saw in a previous post in this thread about being able to dial it in with oversized tires and that’s one of the first things I did to it the first week I bought it.

18. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
  19. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    Open your manual electronically and read the part about modifications---it covers everything. You agreed to all of the terms when you took delivery. Very very specific.

20. nikerret

Mar 2, 2019

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted