1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the chance to get to the range today…

For the last year, I’ve shot the majority 9mm out of double stack guns with Dots. Well, ammo is getting a bit low and SPP are also getting a bit low.

Seeing that I am a bit low for my comfort level with 9, I certainly have a ton of 45 laying around. Today I got a chance to shoot about 200-250 rounds at the range. I played around shooting fast at 10 yards and the pistol rang em right up! That said, 30 feet is not something that takes much effort these days.

Most who know me will tell you I am a B8 at 25 yard guy… and that’s pretty much what I train on. When shooting 9’s, I really do try to shoot these under 20 seconds…. That’s not what I did today. Most was slower fore working on cadence and focusing on my front sight while not “squeezing”’tonmuch with my shooting hand. I’ve developed a minor bad habit of this which I’m shooting sloghtly left or 9 o’clock. You will not see much evidence of this here, but it’s because I was conscious of it, and working hard to overcome it.

That’s another reason 25 yard B8’s is so effective… it amplifies mistakes in a big way.

I will gladly admit, the gun performed perfectly! Not a single issue in terms of function! It also shoots soooonsoft! And, the thing is a laser beam… literally!

Trigger Air gun Font Gun barrel Material property

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Font Gun accessory

Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Material property

Font Circle Science Terrestrial plant Soil

Font Circle Science Terrestrial plant Logo

Terrestrial plant Book Font Circle Science

·
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice shooting, mate...and a beautiful pistol to boot!!
Thanks man! Appreciate the compliment!

At 25 yards and 45. You make it look like 22 at 10 yards. Great shooting and omg your guns are in a league of their own.
I use to dream about beautiful women and fast cars.................not anymore. 💤Bob Marvel 💤Bob Marvel💤Bob Marvel 💤
😂🤣. You’re comments are classic man.:(. Appreciate it and thanks:)

Reactions: FJ1911

·
born in the wrong century
7,026 Posts
Good grief.......I've never....ever....not one time....ever shot anything that well at such distance.

Huge respect for your skills.

Very sweet pistol, too.

Damn.

Just damn.

·
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good grief.......I've never....ever....not one time....ever shot anything that well at such distance.

Huge respect for your skills.

Very sweet pistol, too.

Damn.

Just damn.
Thanks man! Appreciate the comment and you checking out the post!!

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,505 Posts
You don't see many Marvels and that's a very nice example. One thing about an accurate gun is that it is easier to shoot well, a gun that is as mechanically accurate as your Marvel takes it out of the shooting equation, and allows you to focus on improving your skills. If you're not hitting your targets its your fault, not the guns. That said, you clearly know how to run that beauty, nice shooting!

·
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You don't see many Marvels and that's a very nice example. One thing about an accurate gun is that it is easier to shoot well, a gun that is as mechanically accurate as your Marvel takes it out of the shooting equation, and allows you to focus on improving your skills. If you're not hitting your targets its your fault, not the guns. That said, you clearly know how to run that beauty, nice shooting!
I’ve said this for years… I was actually just thinking through this earlier today.

I was at the range a few days ago, and was shooting a handful of guns a friend had. Although I’ve shot them and even owned these same guns, I just couldn’t do what I can with the guns I own.

Meaning if I can consistently shoot 90+ with 45acp 1911’s (with irons) I own, and 95+ on 9mm 2011/1911’s I own (with dots), why I am shooting worse with other 45’s and other 9mm’s?

The two questions I have to ask myself is this…
1. Is it me or the gun? Is it familiarity with sights and triggers, is it the grip angles, is it the different recoil impulses… is it the gun?

2. Does it matter? If I’m not going to own those guns, or train with those gun, does it matter how I perform with those guns? Realistically I would say, no… it doesn’t matter at all. I enjoy the hobby, I pride myself in being a decent shot, and it bothers me that I’m not shooting up to par with other guns that I dont own or shoot regularly. That said, stacking up shots in the 9-10 ring at 30 feet/10 yards is not a problem regardless of the gun… so maybe I’m being a bit over critical.

I have said and thought for a long time, I am lucky and fortunate to own many of the finest guns this world has ever seen. I shoot them all! I train with what I own… but at the end of the day, I really do believe in mechanical advantage, and I always want every advantage (even if it’s small) in a situation that required making an extreme decision.

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
2,546 Posts
All true. Shooting B8's at 25 is a great way to get more accurate and see what you and your guns can do.

Shooting B8's at 25 using par times is the next level.
Once you can reliably shoot a 90 at 25 (with 10 shots), start putting the timer on it.

Start with 20 seconds. That's the "Defoor" hat drill. In his class, you get a hat if you can do it under 20.

A 90 under 10 seconds including the draw is the ultimate goal. That's master-level shooting, especially with irons.

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, Shadow Hawk, G21 and 19X
8,101 Posts
Nice shooting bud!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts