close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10-8 Performance 1911 Course - Nov 12-13

Discussion in 'Training' started by Quack, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=97065&gonew=1#UNREAD

2. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011

3. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
  4. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Bobby, let me know of the places, i'll see what he needs and try to get him up here next year.

I've done it before when I got one of the top Subaru tuner's to fly into town to tune cars on a regular basis.

5. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    A 1911 Addicts Weekend Class? How cool would that be? You could count me in!!

6. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    that's what i was thinking :nod:

7. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ Can I rent one of your 1911s?

[/Allen vouches for Don's ability to bring in top-flight tuners to a small local club.]

8. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Sure. If I make it to the class next weekend, i'll bring a spare 1911 for you to use :)

9. Bender

Bender Meh...... Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    1st Class Addicts,......hell, I may be very down for that! :whoo:

10. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Oh hecks no! :grin: I need to stick with my (your) XDm9, as I wouldn't have the presence-of-mind, with Bill's class being my first at the "intermediate" level, to work the thumb-safety on the 1911. I think that the combination of the two would be a huge fail, for me. :lol:

I'm excited that you may be able to come, Don!

11. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    They are private gun clubs and the other is a paving company and private. The paving co is where all of the federal guys around here go and it is a pretty wide area. Lawrence county sportsman's assoc in wampum, PA would be the best for props and steel because they have action pistol there or Beaver valley pistol& rifle. That is where i just took a class with LAV at

12. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    cool. i'll see what i can do.

13. G27RR

G27RR Hmmm...

Oct 11, 2011
    I took the class in TX last weekend and it was well worth it. Hilton will retension and/or hand file your extractor for you on the spot if the geometry or tension is off. He was also staking plunger tubes and doing other work for pistols that needed it either during inspection on the class day or during the range session.

It says you need a minimum of 50 rounds of duty ammo, but their function check actually uses 56, so plan accordingly. The function check will expose borderline problems that don't always show up in standard range practice.

We were able to do some of the pistol drills Quack posted in the other thread on steel targets, including the 8-8-8 drill. Hilton gave a demo of his substantial skill shooting that drill - very impressive.

14. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Hey man. Glad to see you finally make it over here. :thumb:

15. G27RR

G27RR Hmmm...

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks, I meant to get over here sooner.

Here's some pictures of Hilton at work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. G27RR

G27RR Hmmm...

Oct 11, 2011
    One more thing, he shows lots of examples and explains the reasons behind things very well instead of just saying that's the way you should do it. Tim Lau actually led the class because Dean Caputo had to back out unexpectedly, and Hilton frequently interjected or presented portions of the classroom sessions. Tim is also very knowledgeable and did a great job as lead presenter.

17. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Nice!!!!

was talking to bobby about getting them up here next year. since bobby doesn't know if he'll be in town (relocation) he wasn't going to host it.
    He told me that if i want to host it, he could get a range to use for the class.

18. G27RR

G27RR Hmmm...

Oct 11, 2011
    Definitely set it up if you can. We had to bail from our scheduled outdoor range to the Austin PD covered range when we got five inches of rain on the day we were shooting. Big thanks to APD for letting us use their range at the last minute. :thumb: We shot in their covered section most of the day, then moved to the outdoor SWAT range to practice on steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hilton discussing malfunction drills.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  19. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Hilton was talking about it on his FB page, about the rain and all. Didn't realize you were at that class. That would be awesome if they came up here for a class. There is a bunch of us that would definitely do it.

20. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    I would probably fly up there if you guys could set something up for after the holidays

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted