1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=97065&gonew=1#UNREAD

10-8 Consulting will be conducting a 2-day Duty 1911 Course on Saturday and Sunday, November 12-13, 2011, at the Sig Sauer Academy in New Hampshire. This course is based on a comprehensive transition course taught to law enforcement personnel intending to carry the 1911 for duty use.

The 1911 platform requires a more sophisticated end user to properly operate and maintain than typical modern service pistols. With that in mind, this course is specifically designed educate the student on operational theory of the 1911, helping the student avoid reliability pitfalls of the 1911, as well as diagnose and rectify problems as they appear.

The live fire portion of the course will focus on 1911 specific manipulations, such as proper usage of the mechanical safety, slide stop, and malfunction clearances.

As time allows, minor reliability tuning of student's pistols may be performed by instructional staff.

Topics covered include (but are not limited to):

Basic care and feeding
Full detail stripping and reassembly
Proper maintenance, lubrication
Pros and Cons of firing pin safeties
Safety checks
The cycle of operation as it pertains to the 1911
Diagnosing reliability issues
Extractor issues, basic tensioning and head geometry
Inspection points for reliability
Basic modifications that can be done by the end user to maximize reliability
Test fire protocols to ensure that your 1911 is fit for duty
Pros and cons of current commercially available 1911s
Pros and cons of popular modifications and aftermarket parts
Other equipment selection

Marksmanship Fundamentals
Presentation
Grip and Recoil Management as it pertains to the 1911
Support Gear Selection
Safety Manipulation
Tactical vs. Emergency Reloads
Malfunction Clearances
Drills specifically tailored to address controls of the 1911

Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance will be on site to help diagnose pistol problems and perform minor gunsmithing work as needed.

WHEN: November 12-13, 2011 (8:30am-5pm)

WHERE: Sig Sauer Academy, 233 Exeter Road, Epping, New Hampshire 03042

COST: $425 (Includes Range Fees, 10-8 Performance Armorer Block and Tool)

To register, download our REGISTRATION FORM and return with payment to the address listed on the form or email me directly at TIM AT 10-8CONSULTING DOT COM

EQUIPMENT LIST:

1911 Pistol with minimum 3 magazines (Preferably full sized, steel framed Government Model chambered in 45 ACP)
Belt Holster with Mag Pouch
Gun Belt such as Wilderness Instructor Belt
Minimum 300 rounds practice ammunition
Minimum 50 rounds duty/carry ammunition for test fire
Eye and Ear Protection
Baseball style cap is recommended
Screwdriver to remove grip screws
3/32" pin punch (Brownells P/N 827-525-790)
Basic gun cleaning equipment (rod, brush, M16 cleaning toothbrush, etc.)
Rag or towel to place on table for gun maintenance
Snacks
Water

·
Forum Sponsor
517 Posts

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bobby, let me know of the places, i'll see what he needs and try to get him up here next year.

I've done it before when I got one of the top Subaru tuner's to fly into town to tune cars on a regular basis.

·
Forum Sponsor
517 Posts
Bobby, let me know of the places, i'll see what he needs and try to get him up here next year.

I've done it before when I got one of the top Subaru tuner's to fly into town to tune cars on a regular basis.
A 1911 Addicts Weekend Class? How cool would that be? You could count me in!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
^ Can I rent one of your 1911s?

[/Allen vouches for Don's ability to bring in top-flight tuners to a small local club.]

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure. If I make it to the class next weekend, i'll bring a spare 1911 for you to use :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sure. If I make it to the class next weekend, i'll bring a spare 1911 for you to use :)
Oh hecks no! :grin: I need to stick with my (your) XDm9, as I wouldn't have the presence-of-mind, with Bill's class being my first at the "intermediate" level, to work the thumb-safety on the 1911. I think that the combination of the two would be a huge fail, for me. :lol:

I'm excited that you may be able to come, Don!

·
Registered
484 Posts

They are private gun clubs and the other is a paving company and private. The paving co is where all of the federal guys around here go and it is a pretty wide area. Lawrence county sportsman's assoc in wampum, PA would be the best for props and steel because they have action pistol there or Beaver valley pistol& rifle. That is where i just took a class with LAV at

·
Hmmm...
27 Posts
I took the class in TX last weekend and it was well worth it. Hilton will retension and/or hand file your extractor for you on the spot if the geometry or tension is off. He was also staking plunger tubes and doing other work for pistols that needed it either during inspection on the class day or during the range session.

It says you need a minimum of 50 rounds of duty ammo, but their function check actually uses 56, so plan accordingly. The function check will expose borderline problems that don't always show up in standard range practice.

We were able to do some of the pistol drills Quack posted in the other thread on steel targets, including the 8-8-8 drill. Hilton gave a demo of his substantial skill shooting that drill - very impressive.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I took the class in TX last weekend and it was well worth it. Hilton will retension and/or hand file your extractor for you on the spot if the geometry or tension is off. He was also staking plunger tubes and doing other work for pistols that needed it either during inspection on the class day or during the range session.

It says you need a minimum of 50 rounds of duty ammo, but their function check actually uses 56, so plan accordingly. The function check will expose borderline problems that don't always show up in standard range practice.

We were able to do some of the pistol drills Quack posted in the other thread on steel targets, including the 8-8-8 drill. Hilton gave a demo of his substantial skill shooting that drill - very impressive.
Hey man. Glad to see you finally make it over here. :thumb:

·
Hmmm...
27 Posts
One more thing, he shows lots of examples and explains the reasons behind things very well instead of just saying that's the way you should do it. Tim Lau actually led the class because Dean Caputo had to back out unexpectedly, and Hilton frequently interjected or presented portions of the classroom sessions. Tim is also very knowledgeable and did a great job as lead presenter.

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice!!!!

was talking to bobby about getting them up here next year. since bobby doesn't know if he'll be in town (relocation) he wasn't going to host it.
He told me that if i want to host it, he could get a range to use for the class.

·
Hmmm...
27 Posts
Definitely set it up if you can. We had to bail from our scheduled outdoor range to the Austin PD covered range when we got five inches of rain on the day we were shooting. Big thanks to APD for letting us use their range at the last minute. :thumb: We shot in their covered section most of the day, then moved to the outdoor SWAT range to practice on steel.

Hilton discussing malfunction drills.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hilton was talking about it on his FB page, about the rain and all. Didn't realize you were at that class. That would be awesome if they came up here for a class. There is a bunch of us that would definitely do it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts