1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Double Secret Banned
2,173 Posts
Where's the line? Do you believe that oversized safety levers, beavertail grip safeties, 21st century sights (or red dot optics), beveled edges, grip checkering, and high cut front strap, with practice are not needed also?
Needed for running the gun fast?
oversized safety levers = nope (but helpful)
beavertail = nope
good sights = yep
beveled edges = yep
front strap checkering = nope
high cut front strap = nope

Practice is the most important.

·
Premium Member
17,751 Posts
Where's the line?
Well Balls, Do you see anyone here telling you you HAVE to do something their way?

Do you believe that oversized safety levers,
Thumb safety Perhaps? Never seen a lever on a 1911.

For me and a lot of the folks I shot with for years, it was always the Swenson safety, they were never oversized (Fairly thin in reality), but they were quality and Ambi. At my age, I am thinking about going with one of the newer lower thumb safeties. But I still don't need big flappy paddles.

beavertail grip safeties,
All my competition pistols never had a beavertail on them. I did that for one reason, people didn't ask to borrow my pistols since my triggers were very light and the hammer bit.

21st century sights (or red dot optics),
Well what do you consider a 21st century sight?

Most of us have always used high vis fixed sights or BoMar style adjustable.

However we did things (and some of us still do) which included shooting at night with light, low light, no light except a strobe, or no light with flashlights and slide shooting. You won't get me to put a red dot on anything.

[
beveled edges
Hey if that winds your watch, great. None of mine have ever been and never will be.

grip checkering,
All my pistols are checkered except a 1911A1NM which was military stippled, a Range Officer I haven't gotten around to and a LWC I'm deciding what I want to do with it. I've been shooting the new LWC as much as weather permits (roughly around 750 rounds so far the past 4-5 weeks) and I'm not so sure I'll checker it. First time I've owned a 9mm in 42 years and I'm having a ball with it.

I do have the front of my trigger guard checkered too.

and high cut front strap,
Haven't yet, but I may consider it for a new Range officer I still haven't gotten around to doing anything with in future. I just got a great price and it's put away for the meantime.

with practice are not needed also?
Look, from my point of view some of what people are doing is really great and some are trying to be really good without the work (we had them way back then too). I honestly don't know what you do or don't do.

At my age, I still dry fire, I still come out of the holster 98% of the time when I dry fire and I still practice mag changes.. it's maintaining a skill set. I can take that old 1911A1 out and shoot 100 yards with it. I don't hit 100 % of the time, it I wanted to I'd have a lot better barrel in it. That 1911A1 doesn't have anything really special about it, No it's a genuine Colt 1911A1! No beavertail, no 21st century sights, no trick firing mechanism in it, but it works the way it should.

Winter Personal protective equipment Freezing Bag Geological phenomenon

·
Premium Member
17,751 Posts
Needed for running the gun fast?
oversized safety levers = nope (but helpful)
beavertail = nope
good sights = yep
beveled edges = yep
front strap checkering = nope
high cut front strap = nope

Practice is the most important.
Well said

However some people need checkering for one reason, the 1911 in 45acp is notorious for squirming around in the hand. Since I just got a 9mm and am having a ball with it, checkering maybe not. I'll still want to shoot it in the summer when the weather is different both hotter and more humid.

·
Premium Member
17,751 Posts
Well, that was a reasoned response Unc. I'll take yours and Hilton's experience to heart. Thanks!
Anytime.

Edit, can't say I think much of the 10-8 videos, but I understand his position about things when he does them. We were a fairly tough group about skill sets and what we were doing. It's why we were burning 2-3000 rounds a month

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.