close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tags:
  1. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    In celebration of my upcoming birthday in 10 days on the 15th, I bring you 10 days of pro tips from Chambers Custom Pistols as a gift to you. Hopefully you will find these tips I've learned over the years helpful and if not helpful, perhaps humorous...

Pro Tip #1:
    Want to prevent looking like an ignoramus when you post pics of your 1911 on the interwebs showing the vaunted and loathed idiot scratch on your 1911? It's pretty simple really. Buy a Pachmyer Widget Tool and always install your thumb safety after you install the slide stop. No, really, it is just that easy. You see, the thumb safety applies pressure to the plunger tube assembly which applies pressure to the slide stop. If there is no pressure on the slide stop from the plunger assembly you would have to be a REAL idiot to scratch the frame. Yes, it really is just that simple.

Pro Tip #2:
    In my experience, the vast majority of factory, semi-custom and even many custom guns do not have their chambers properly finish reamed. If you want the gun to function correctly the barrel must be finish reamed to the proper depth and diameter. Over the years I have fixed countless guns that were malfunctioning by simply finish reaming and polishing the chamber properly. If you can't do it yourself, find someone who can do it for you properly. Often times it will make a world of difference.

Pro Tip #3:
    Bushing comps are dumb, there, I said it. A compensator does very little, if anything, on a gun chambered in .45 Auto. Secondly, If the through hole is .45 caliber and you are using it on a 9mm or other smaller round you loose nearly all of the advantages of a comp immediately. Plus they increase your gun length unnecessarily. If you have problems with recoil try adjusting the spring set up in your gun for the ammo which you desire to shoot. For example, all full size 1911's in .45 that I build come standard with a 23# mainspring and 18-18.5# recoil spring. This allows the shooter to enjoy hot ammo as well as soft ammo with limited muzzle flip, among other mechanical advantages. But at the same time it doesn't look dumb like a bushing comp and it isn't too difficult to rack the slide like with a small base firing pin stop.

Pro Tip #4

Barrel bump is real and does affect the function and accuracy of your 1911 style pistol. It is rare that I see a stock, semi-custom or high end one man shop custom 1911 that does not have barrel bump. Yes, even some of the biggest named shops apparently either don't know what it is, don't know how to get rid of it, or don't give a flying fishstick flip about barrel bump. The truth of the matter though is that eventually, hopefully before something breaks, your gun will beat itself into submission. And all the while you will get to enjoy inaccuracy and functioning problems while it "auto adjusts". So maybe it doesn't really matter...just kidding...it matters a lot.

Pro Tip#5:

Earl, lube, snake snot, The Juice, oil, go fluid, smoother upper, Eds Red, many names for basically the same thing. Over the past 10 years I've literally tried dozens of makes, mixtures and formulas. I always come back to one for the purpose of lubricating the barrel, slide, bushing, cone areas of my custom built 1911's...MFR-7. It just plain works. Hot or cold, clean or dirty, muddy or dusty, MFR-7 oil has never let me down. Many oils may work and there are a few others out there that I like as a second or third choice but now you know what and why this one oil always has a place on my bench.

~Jc

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM
  2. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012

3. salelcid

salelcid Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 28, 2015
    Thanks and look forward to reading all the tips.

And hope you have a Great Birthday!

4. sparky.0

sparky.0 Dry heat... yea right Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Signed up for this one... legend style sticky!
    Happy Birthday Joe!

Mike A, Joe C, boatdoc and 2 others like this.
  5. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 18, 2016
  6. wheelieg

wheelieg Christ is my front sight.

Apr 29, 2016
    Thank you for doing this. It really is much appreciated. Happy birthday as well!

7. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Following along, Joe! Some of the best advise I received long ago was "listen fast and talk slow." I'm listening.

Happy Birthday!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    ZoidMeister, Mike A, Joe C and 6 others like this.
  8. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Watching for future edification

Mike A, Joe C and Sneaky One like this.
  9. jakebrake

jakebrake middle aged white guy Supporting Addict

Mar 27, 2013
  10. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Dec 21, 2014
    Thank you for starting a great thread.

Mike A, Joe C, limbkiller and 3 others like this.
  11. william adams

william adams Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    First, Happy Birthday Joe.

Second, thanks for the "gift" to us. Very good of you.

Mike A, ronin11, Joe C and 5 others like this.
  12. FWoo45

FWoo45 The whole world is about three drinks behind. Supporting Addict

Jan 13, 2017
    Tagged! Thanks Joe and happy birthday.

13. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015
    happy BD
    thanks for this thread

when I first started stripping my 1911s, I used a small piece of cardboard or a playing card placed carefully below the idiot scratch zone. after I lined up the slide stop and pushe d it in a bit, I pulled the card..done deal

Mike A, Joe C and Sneaky One like this.
  14. crayj46

crayj46 Cite This LOL Supporting Addict

Aug 12, 2017
  15. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 14, 2016
    Happy birthday Joe. In the words of Ross Perot, I'm all ears !

Mike A, Joe C, boatdoc and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bugs

Bugs Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2011
  17. Weiker

Weiker Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Thank you . an old man told me God gave 1 mouth and 2 ears so we could listen more than we speak. i'm listening. Happy Birthday

Mike A, blitz45, Joe C and 3 others like this.
  18. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire Supporting Addict

Apr 12, 2016
    I will try to be teachable....
    I see 10 days of "oops,too late" for me:oops:

Mike A, Joe C, boatdoc and 1 other person like this.
  19. mikemac

mikemac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 22, 2017
    I am in. Knowledge, knowledge=better and better. Thank you for doing this.

Mike A, Joe C and boatdoc like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted