103 years old and still fierce

Discussion in 'Range Trips & Reviews' started by monadh, Oct 22, 2020.

1. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    It has been roughly 8 weeks since I had surgery, and I felt like going to the range. After reading @Sergeant Major 's post about his old 1911A1, I decided to take my father's 103 year old 1911 Colt to the range.

A little over 2 years ago, I took it by John Hammond's house for him to fix a few things on it. While it was there, he fitted a new Colt barrel to it. I had taken it to the range only once since then, but today was the day.

I set up cardboard on an almost brand new frame at 15 yards and shot it off hand at first, and then moved to shooting from a rest. Even at 103 years old, I am the limiting factor for this pistol. The target on the right was the second group shot, and the one on the left was the third and last group shot.

[​IMG]

For those who may not know, the first 1911s made did not have fixed sights like the later models did. The early 1911s came with fixed suggestions, and if you have ever shot one, you will know what I am talking about. The fixed suggestions will let the shooter know that he is pointing the pistol somewhere in the direction of the target, and when that happens, you then treat the trigger like it is an anvil, your finger is the hammer, and you are a blacksmith. Once you get the routine down, you're good to go.

When I was younger I shot this pistol a lot since it was the only one I owned. My father gave it to me when I was about 14, and I did not feel the need for anything else for a long time. Shooting it today for about 15 rounds reminded me of some good times that pistol and I had together...

[​IMG]

Then I brought out the Zev OZ9. I had gotten the RMR right before surgery and only performed a quick zero of it. I wanted to confirm how well it had been done.

From the first rounds, I could tell that elevation of the RMR was where I wanted it, but the windage needed to be shifted to the left. The targets are numbered in chronological order.

[​IMG]

The last target, the one farthest to the right, was shot off hand at 10 yards, one round per second. I think that the pistol is fairly zeroed. The RMR makes a world of difference.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Mike Meints, Dwe, Dub and 21 others like this.
  2. Dave W.

Dave W. Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2019
    Looks like you had fun! Keep enjoying it.

monadh likes this.

3. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    So jealous of these historical guns. Thank you for sharing!

monadh likes this.
  4. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    “Fixed suggestions” haha - love it!

Dub, OneEyedTanker and monadh like this.
  5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    A wonderful outing......thanks for sharing

monadh likes this.
  6. taurn7

taurn7 Active Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Very nice, always cool to see these old pistols at work. Just a bit envious you got a 1911 at 14 years old.

OldCuz and monadh like this.
  7. OldCuz

OldCuz FREEDOM IS NOT FREE Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    I like it! Thanks for sharing this. Hopefully my son's will appreciate the one's that I leave them.

switchback likes this.
  8. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Fixed suggestions is appropriate. Thanks for sharing, and happy you are recovering from your surgery.

Dub likes this.
  9. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Post screams of awesomeness in every sentence!!!

Well done.

Heal up and enjoy that fine American piece of your family history.

Outstanding!!!!!

OldCuz likes this.
  10. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    You need to buy some more guns if each kid gets one!:D

OldCuz and Greg M. like this.
  11. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020

Kenny I’m glad you beat me to it.

OldCuz likes this.
  12. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    Interesting thread! Thank you.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted