1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After posting the SR1911 10MM Unboxing video
the emails started to come in asking about chamber support.

Being curious myself I decided to compare 4 10MM 1911's,
Colt Delta Elite
Ruger SR1911
Para Elite Hunter
Kimber Camp Guard 10

Here in this video

I do not have the best of camera gear but hope this helps.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Nicely done!! Big surprise. It is interesting to see that the Kimber has the most thorough chamber support of the bunch. reloaders take note. If you want hot loads, the Kimber seems to be the safest bet. Since I have no experience with 10mm, or Kimber, I can not personally comment on the gun.

Mr. revolver guy, thank you so much for your efforts. I am sure we all are glad you are here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I will get better at this video stuff LOL. I should have mentioned they all will be safe with factory loads even hot reloads within SAAMI spec. I have fired Corbon and Underwood 10MM ammo out of the Colt Delta Elite and it was safe as well as there was no bulged brass. The only bad thing I had to chase the underwood brass into the other county. WOW was it throwing brass really far.

·
Registered
812 Posts
In 1911 form, I have three Delta Elites, the Kimber Eclipse, the DW Valor, and a Nighthawk longslide. The Kimber has the best chamber support of those guns as well. I've run Buffalo Bore Heavy 10 through it with no particular issues, although I've probably only run 50-60 of them through it, versus 2k+ of more conventional loadings.

Of the other non-1911s I have, the Sig 220 comes in a close 2nd for chamber support. I will be curious to see how the Ruger treats you, Mr. Revolverguy. I think very highly of my Kimber, despite not being particularly attracted to the aesthetics and knowing that it is chock-full of MIM. I often tell people it is one of the best values for the money, and an excellent entry point into 10mm. I may have to consider the Ruger if it works well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great great thread and thanks. I know you said Kimber has the best support, out of the ones you tested. Are there any anecdotal reports that you are aware of that have similar support? I mean besides a Kimber.

·
Registered
812 Posts
In terms of pure chamber support, nothing I own comes close to the stock Kimber barrel. However, the Dan Wesson and the Nighthawk barrels have excellent chamber support, and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot full power loads through them.

Dan Wesson VBOB 10mm:

Group Shot:

It wouldn't be easy to find a barrel with less case support and a wider throat then the new production Delta. Colt seems to feel they don't need it to run SAAMI spec ammo, and I assume that is a decision vetted by both lawyers and accountants. Not exactly kind to your brass, though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JohnnyEgo,

Nice collection of 10MM's, very nice. I only run SAAMI spec ammunition, and have still had a few pieces of bulged brass that I had to trash, just this weekend. Though I believe this was from soft brass. As I have loaded up some 200grain that were hotter than the federal factory and had no bulge. Though I love 10MM if I need something hotter than SAAMI spec time to go up in caliber :). I just don't want to beat my prized (to me) 1911's to death :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm right there with you. I find that 'can do a thing' is not always the same as 'should do a thing'. I usually top out at Sig's V-crown, which pushes a 180gr bullet to around 1250 FPS, which is close to Norma Spec. Most of my guns could handle a stouter loading just fine for an occasional magazine or two, but I am not particularly interested in putting the wear on them or my wrists. I most often shoot the inexpensive Privi loading that moves along at a pokey 1050 FPS, and puts a lot less wear on my frame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm very interested In getting a Valor 10mm, is it worth the money? Can it handle any load made or should I get a different 1911 10mm? Thanks guys

·
Registered
812 Posts
It's a fine choice. It has a well supported ramped barrel and can handle any load within the SAAMI spec just fine. There is a very wide range of loading possibilities available within spec, from very mild to damn, this hurts. The Valor should be able to handle all of them.

·
"Death Waits in the Dark"
43 Posts
I just wanted to ask you guys what your recommendations would be for a first 10mm? I have a few 1911's, Colt gov't mod. .38 Super, Springfield RO Champion .45acp, RIA 1911FS that I got very cheap to practice smithing on 1911's and an older Kimber Pro Carry II both of those in .45acp. I have been wanting a 10mm for awhile just not sure which way to go? Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts