1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Glock 20 for use as a "woods gun." Bottom line -- I am interested in recommendations for a commercial load for protection against 4-legged critters I may come across in CONUS. I have been looking at Buffalo Bore 190 gr "Dangerous Game", and Underwood 140 gr "Xtreme Penetrator." Any recommendations/thoughts for loads specific to the Glock 20? As usual, reliability is foremost. Thanks ahead of time for your inputs.

·
Turgid member
603 Posts
I decided on Underwood 200 gr HC last year. I have read of admittedly rare instances of 220 & 230 gr HC having feed issues. Rare but with the 200 and 220 having such similar ballistics 200 was my choice.
I'll let someone else beta test the Penetrator series.

Reactions: SLAM37

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,234 Posts
I don't know much about 10mm but since I just bought a Delta Elite I was looking a ammo earlier this evening and found that Grab-A-Gun has a good variety and $12.99 flat rate shipping. Bud's Gun Shop also has a lot of different choices. I ended up ordering 7 boxes of S&B 180gr JHP from Bud's so I have something to try in the gun when it gets here, it sounds like a good general use round.
The Hornady 180gr and 155gr XTP rounds look great on paper and pretty hot, the 155gr has a muzzle velocity of 1410fps and the 180gr is 1275fps. I think I'll be ordering some of the 155s to try. Since I didn't have one I've never paid much attention to the 10mm, there are some pretty stout loads out there.

Reactions: SLAM37 and gps man

·
Turgid member
603 Posts
I like Hornady's products, both those rounds have enough velocity to make the XTP bullet really excel.
You'll see a lot of watered down 10mm ammo out there which is fine for most shooting.

·
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today
3,280 Posts
I believe the intent of the Extreme Penetrator is to have excellent performance going through barriers while retaining terminal ballistics. Not so much penetrating your target made of meat.

I am not an expert, but I would suggest using a much heavier slug against large critters. The Extreme series is light for caliber.

·
Turgid member
603 Posts
A number of the boutique ammo makers went (are going through?) a phase where their real ammo velocity was not meeting the makers claims.
Underwood has maintained a good reputation through this and could very well be correct recommending the EP for bear defense. As stated above I'll defer being their beta tester.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
For factory----mid power l use Silvertips. Not the most powerful but very accurate in everyone of my pistols I tried it in. full power for hunting or outside carry like the 180 XTP Underwood load. Accurate and full power.

It is my hope that as the 10mm keeps gaining in popularity after falling off in the last 20 years that more manufacturers will see fit to load more full pressure ammunition.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I’m using the 200gr hardcast from Underwood in my G20, and the 220’s in my GP100. Those are my mountain insurance when I don’t carry my M69. A 12ga with slugs stays in camp. Check Midway USA when they have their free shipping over $49 offers, Underwood and Buffalo Bore are on sale a lot, so extra savings adds up in that caliber, unless you reload. Once I come up with a cast load that matches Underwood reliability and accuracy, I’ll use them.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I will also add for a nice middle of the road round Silvertips,
Mild practice plinking PPU, brass is so so for reloading,
Armscor medium load, decent and at times a reasonably priced
Sig 10mm warmer, But a nice round same as Armscor look for it on sale.

If you can source some new old stock, master cartridge, Norma, Remington, 10 mil
Just fun.

I’ll add if you ever thought of reloading, this is the round to do it with, very milder and medium
Loads are just fun, The hot rod stuff I leave for factory and the Boutique companies.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Not to derail,

I’m using the 200gr hardcast from Underwood in my G20, and the 220’s in my GP100. Those are my mountain insurance when I don’t carry my M69. A 12ga with slugs stays in camp. Check Midway USA when they have their free shipping over $49 offers, Underwood and Buffalo Bore are on sale a lot, so extra savings adds up in that caliber, unless you reload. Once I come up with a cast load that matches Underwood reliability and accuracy, I’ll use them.
How are you liking the GP100 10? Some Info & Review in the revolver section would be awesome
TY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts