1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my addict friends,

I have a question that may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyhow for you knowledgeable 1911 addicts.

Can a 10mm 1911 be made into a convertible 10mm/357 Sig? I've never heard about this so the answer is probably no. But I was just curious if a 357 Sig barrel could be fitted to a 10mm gun giving me a lot more shooting with it.

I love the 357 Sig cartridge and would love to have a semi custom 1911 in that caliber.

Sorry if this is a dumb*** question. Thanks.

"Have a Blessed Weekend"

Jim D. - BCD 45

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just get a barrel and fit it to your slide. 10mm/40/357sig all share the same breech face

·
The Tinker
3,378 Posts
I personally have not done this, but as the case is basically the same for 40/10mm/357 Sig I certainly don't see why not. And you won't even have to fiddle with the extractor like those with the 9mm/38 Super combos. :)

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A-P,
I understand where you're coming from but I'd really like to use a custom or semi-custom that I already have. Which gunsmith would you recommend speaking to about this idea? Thanks.

Jim D.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yes
I have a Colt gov.t frame gun with a W/N cut for the ramped bbls.
I have a Colt Gov't slide that we opened up from 38 super (the same year the delta elite came out , but could by a slide)
It was originally made as a 10mm
Then a 40 S&W bbl was fitted.
Last fall I fitted a 38 Super Bbl to it and reamed it to 357 SIG. Because I had the bbl. IF I didn't I would have got Barsto or Nowlin to make a 357 bbl for me.

All the bbl.'s shoot great and they all feed out of Wilson 10mm mags.

It's a great range toy for me , but I would be confident to use as a carry gun in any of the calibers. I have a .180H frt. sight and an original Bomar rear sight. Original build was the same year the 10mm cartridge was announced and Norma was making ammo.
Still have the original RCBS dies I had to have them make for me.
If I waited a year the whole endeavor would have been a whole lot cheaper LOL!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts