10mm heavy loads out of a commander?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by nmiller08, May 31, 2019.

1. nmiller08

nmiller08 Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Hey all, it's been awhile since I've been on here. I'm contemplating a 10mm for awhile, and while I generally prefer a commander 45 I don't want to have a gun built that won't reliably handle the heavy 10mm hardcast loads and am open to a 5" gun. I've heard (read) reports of erratic speeds due to premature breech opening, and occasional mentions of short-stroking ftf. Some seem to say a heavier spring ensures full burn and fixes it, others not so much. Any of you 10mm commander owners shooting a heavy critter defense load? Chrono'd them thoroughly? Any thoughts?

Thanks! And if there's any DW or GI 10mm owners who want to sell, let me know, lol!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    You really want a 5 or 6 inch barrel for full power 10.

simonp, SparkyAZ and Kip like this.

3. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If you really wan to launch hot loads in 10mm then get a Ruger Blackhawk in 10mm/40 S&W convertible. You can even take the second 40 S&W cylinder hand have it bored out to 10mm mag. Here with a Ruger SR1911-10 Granted there are only a couple companies that sell ammo for the 10mm Mag, but Starline sells the brass.

[​IMG]

In 1911 land I have four variants that shoot 10mm. My only Commander size is a DW Classic. Nice all steel pistol. I am not going to be stupid about the rounds I shoot out of it.

[​IMG]

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. nmiller08

nmiller08 Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks, I’m full up on heavy shooting revolvers, specifically have an itch for a 10mm auto. I’ll likely heed Brian’s advice and stay with a 5”

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  5. Acroyer

Acroyer Off my meds Supporting Addict

Dec 16, 2015
    I haven't shot the bear-stopper loads out of my commander, but will put some of the hotter Underwood defensive rounds through it. Common modifications to prevent the FTF issue include a heavier main spring and a flat bottom firing pin stop. Both work to slow the slide down without having to go to a heavier recoil spring. You should roam around http://10mm-firearms.com/ to get all kinds of info about 10mm.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  6. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I want a GI NN commander in 10mm!

RatBikeRod likes this.
  7. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    Just order two and send me the second, please.

Hardball and Babboonbobo like this.
  8. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I have 4 Commander sized 10mm pistols. All were built by the makers to handle full power not the lighter loads mainly sold on the commercial market loads only because that is all I shoot. All throw empties about as far as the bullet travels lol... When you have it built make sure you specify that it is for full power ammo if that is what you intend on shooting because the recoil is not insignificant.

Might try a NHC in the Marvel. I also have a Cabot but good luck getting Rob to build another one :). The Cabot is my favorite and shoots lights out. All of them shoot well actually just think about what level of ammo you want to use because it will require different RS and MS setup.

9. nmiller08

nmiller08 Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks, wasn’t aware of that forum.

Thanks Busa Dave, glad to hear they’ve been reliable for you. . . since it’s strictly a woods gun I’m pretty much decided the balance of a commander isn’t worth the worry and probably going for a govt. out of curiosity though, have you chrono’d those same loads out of a 5” and a 4.25? Curious what you lose, and if there’s a difference in consistency

10. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    No I have not. Reason is my Commanders are for CC or shooting for fun. If I am hunting with the 10mm I carry a full size. Either the Clone of the Cabot Commander but in a full size (Rob built them both at the same time) or this one from Gemini Custom. The Gemini is my favorite of all of my 1911's took me almost 10 years to talk Marc @ Gemini out of this one! It was the only 10mm he ever did and he built it for himself. The entire barrel and full length GR are fluted. Shoots bug holes! 10mm Gemini Customs.jpg

Acroyer likes this.
  11. uncommonsense

uncommonsense Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    If it's not for concealed carry and it's for outdoors, isn't a long slide 10mm the best choice (for a 1911, that is)? Or are they more for target shooting?

12. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    Yes, a 6" 1911 is "better" for a 10mm field tool.

uncommonsense likes this.
  13. nmiller08

nmiller08 Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think from a pure performance/aiming/accuracy perspective yes. I have only owned one longslide (45) and never felt right with it but I shoot 5” and 4.25” much more so I’m sure that has something to do with it.
    I honestly never holstered that 6”, but I think there’s a holster-clearing factor that is different for a woods defense gun than a pure hunting gun. Anyway, long way of saying the 5” is feeling like a better compromise of factors “for me” anyway

14. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I have 10mm 1911 variants in 4.25 inch (already shown), 5 inch and 6 inch (DW Bruin). Now my 1990 Delta Gold Cup is sort of collectible and does not have a fully supported barrel, so I do not shoot real hot rounds through it.

[​IMG]

If one reloads at home then one can tailor the load as in powder type to the shorter 4.25 inch barrel. If I was going to carry the Bruin in the field then I would probably look at an across the chest holster.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted