10mm mags hanging up going in.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by cas, Mar 11, 2019.

1. cas

cas Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Throwing this out there as it's new to me, both the gun and the problem.
    It's a used DW RZ-10. Ed Brown branded 9 round mags.

When I insert them the rim of the top round catches in the frame. I've never run into this before, though I've only owned one other 10mm.

Wondering... is this a "common" problem?
    Is this a 10mm thing?
    A Dan Wesson thing?
    An Ed Brown thing? (or whomever really makes the mag)
    A 9 round mag thing?
    Just my frame?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"An Ed Brown thing? "
    I'm starting to lean this way as I just realized the one magazine does it a good deal more than the other.

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I would say that's a considerable amout. I'm wondering if something on the frame isn't out of spec. Hard to tell with pictures but is the mag catch really stiff? You bought the pistol used from someone?

3. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I do know that there tends to be more problems with anything more than a standard capacity magazine in just about any 1911. For instance the 45 was originally designed around a 7 round mag and often times an 8 round mag can be more trouble than its worth. Just saying
    Not that they can't be made to run its just that there is always less chance for problems with a standard 7 round mag.

4. cas

cas Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    It does it with the mag catch out, assuming you angle the mag slightly rearward.
    The catch must push the mag reward ever so slightly. When it first happened I assumed it was a mag release issue. Pushing the release in half way alleviated the problem. But all that was really happening was with the gun muzzle down, release half way in, the mag moved forward a hair and passes by the lip.

5. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I have not seen this before.
    Although I have heard sketchy reports of it.
    Sorry for not being of any help.

Steve Owens likes this.
  6. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Have any 45ACP mags? They do tend to work better with 10mm

7. cas

cas Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    It's actually worse with 45 mags.

8. cas

cas Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I may have fixed it. Just a couple very gentle love taps in a few places with a brass bunch. :confused:

And I do mean gentle. By a couple, I mean two. I'm kind of shocked at how soft the frame is.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    The reason I asked about the mag catch was because I just had one in here where the mags were actually hanging up and were very hard to insert, and come to find out it had a really heavy mag catch spring so instead of giving ever so slightly for the mag insertion is was actually binding up the magazine.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted