1911 Firearm Addicts banner

181 - 184 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
What a silly thread!!!!! Have any of you other than a few ever killed anything other than a robin with your BB gun when you were 12??

It takes time to die when shot by ANYTHING most times. I've killed 100+ deer, bears, elk, coyotes, bobcats, and MANY other smaller animals. MOST of the time it takes a few seconds for something to die. And since I'm talking rifle calibers which dwarf most pistol calibers in energy and destruction of the vitals. ... Now I will admit they weren't really going anywhere after the first shot but they very well could have done damage to ya had ya been right on top of them.

You have to shut down the central nervous system to kill something and that can take time. Hydro static shock is your friend and MOST pistols just don't really have much if any at all.
I have never directly killed a human (that I know of), but I have killed many other things, including a lot of deer and other animals. The largest being a rodeo bull. I'll second your post, in regard to time to fully expire.

In regard to the subject in question, namely, the guy shot a bunch of times, I think we can all agree there was something amiss. Humans of sound mind do not continue to advance on being actively fired upon unless they intend to kill their attacker. He just kept walking, being a bullet sponge, with no regard for his own safety. Don't confuse this with soldiers or others defending themselves in a firefight. They are still trying to survive. This guy had zero survival instinct. That, alone, shows he is not of sound mind. From drugs or an emotional breakdown or whatever, we don't yet know and may never know.

From the data I've seen, the majority of firearms encounters are ended psychologically, often, by the mere presence of a firearm. Most people who stop fighting, after being shot are still capable of fighting, physically, but chose to stop. A few fight until they no longer can. When faced with life threatening response, a very great number choose to flee instead of risk their health.

Really, the same can be said of every species of the animal kingdom (which we are part of). How many healthy deer stand there and let you shoot them multiple times (when they can see you)? None. At the first sign of perceived danger, they bolt, if they are physically capable. One night, someone collided with a large buck, on the Interstate. When another Deputy and I got there, it was still trying to flee. It was in two pieces. The front legs and head were in the median and the rear legs were in the ditch. That buck was scared and still dragging itself away, with its front legs. When we got close enough to finish it off, it freaked out and tried to attack us by swinging its head and kicking at us with its front legs. It, too, would not have survived, but the instinct was there to try. On the other side, I have seen deer hit in the spine with a hunting rifle caliber and drop them DRT (dead right there).

I have killed a lot of deer with caliber .40 S&W (it was what I was always issued). It's underwhelming, the vast majority of the time.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,939 Posts
No problem OldC%nt. Just people like you don't have a clue about guns and killing power. When someone tries to educate ya you show your total ignorance.
Hope you know I was just funnin with you! You seemed sorta ill by snapping at everyone so I just could not resist. I always was a trouble maker.

I know what you meant. And as far as killing something you have no idea of what anyone in this forum has done. You might be very surprised. So just cool down. We are all buds here I hope and if you dish it out be prepared to receive the same sometimes. I just could not resist. Don't hate me. But if you do, I'm pretty sure you're not alone. Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our department does train in the failure drill every range session and will as long as I am Chief. History is full of instances where handguns (and rifles) fail to stop attackers with multiple rounds. I have and will always carry a 45 acp handgun both on and off duty. It does not guarantee a quick end to hostilities but does produce better results in rapid end to hostilities in my experiences. Granted I only have 40 years on the job but that is my opinion based on my experiences.

181 - 184 of 184 Posts