1911 Firearm Addicts banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,493 Posts
I see his obit has no mention of having served in the military.

And per all the "second guessing" that was taking place in a previous linked thread, as to him being in special ops, you can buy those t-shirts online in any size you want!

I do note his obit mentions his great sense of humor.... wonder where it had gone on that day?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
The guy we see in the video and the guy described in the obituary seem like two completely different people. I wonder what made him go off the deep end.

·
Registered
86 Posts
But for the most part that paycheck is not that great. So it’s better if you are called to it or just stumble in and like it. I know I could’ve picked something that paid better for less hours but then I would’ve had to attend all those birthdays, anniversaries, baseball games, football games etc. At the end of the day I agree it is a calling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe that 💯

I have seen in the friends and family I have that serve, it’s not what they do. It’s who they are.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Chuck, in the midst of their reasons to become an Officer, I can accept wanting to change the world and their community for the better, but when it is go time, sitting on your butt while kids get murdered in a school because you don't like guns or shooting needs to be addressed before that becomes reality. They don't have to like it, but they better be good at it, and ready to rock in roll when that radio is telling them stuff is going down.

When I talk to people that tell me they want to be a cop I ask them to honestly think of this.

"You are in a room with doors on opposite ends with 15 other people. The door to your left opens up and a person tells everyone that there is a man with a gun at the other door and is going to kill everyone in the room in 2 minutes. Which door do go out of, one door leads to safety, and you get to see your family again. The other door puts you in immediate harms way and you are going to die."
I don't ask them to tell me their answer. It is for them alone to answer
I don’t know that anyone (of us non LEO) can predict what they’d do when they hear something like that about to go down, but I can tell you my knee jerk reaction when hearing the choices from a safe, no stress, place... I’m effing out of there. No joke. Ima NOPE the eff out that safe door.

On the one hand, that’s incredibly embarrassing to admit. On the other, it’s smart thinking on my part because I’d be exactly that yahoo who’d get taken in a hostage situation and prevent actual heroes from dropping a maniac pronto, toot sweet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don’t know that anyone (of us non LEO) can predict what they’d do when they hear something like that about to go down, but I can tell you my knee jerk reaction when hearing the choices from a safe, no stress, place... I’m effing out of there. No joke. Ima NOPE the eff out that safe door.

On the one hand, that’s incredibly embarrassing to admit. On the other, it’s smart thinking on my part because I’d be exactly that yahoo who’d get taken in a hostage situation and prevent actual heroes from dropping a maniac pronto, toot sweet.
I recognize that it would be difficult and possibly embarrassing to answer that type of question. When I pose similar questions to folks considering the job, I don't have them answer out loud to me, but to honestly think about it to themselves and weigh their thoughts/answers in the calculations.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For sure. It’s one thing if it’s a “him or me”, but purposely heading into a dangerous situation to save lives? Of people you’ve never met? Your question is a good one for people to ask themselves before making that scenario their daily 9 to 5.

There’s a lot of discussion around how this deputy handled this shooting. What is not up for debate, is that he was driving down the road one morning enjoying his morning coffee, saw a violent situation, and abruptly put himself directly between that offender and the strangers endangered by him.

It’s amazing to see that story of someone who answered your question without his words, but rather his actions.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I think the deputy did what he had to do, and did a good job. That guy has to either be on something or wearing a vest. Some of those shots are well placed.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,925 Posts
By the way he acted I'd say he was on something. Or had some kind of mental issue at the time.
As for the ghetto dude recording, he is one stupid dumb ass.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Maybe he just felt like his life was falling apart, or had fallen apart. It's easy to act civilized when life is going good, or when there is at least some hope that there are better days ahead. But when a person slips into that dark psychological corner where they see nothing but a hopelessly unfair and punishing future, or perhaps looks into the past and see too many times where they've been cheated by society (or God, Universe, whatever), that's when a person can snap. That's when, for some people, they become so consumed by resentment and anger that the veil of civilization falls down and primal rage takes over.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,712 Posts
Maybe he just felt like his life was falling apart, or had fallen apart. It's easy to act civilized when life is going good, or when there is at least some hope that there are better days ahead. But when a person slips into that dark psychological corner where they see nothing but a hopelessly unfair and punishing future, or perhaps looks into the past and see too many times where they've been cheated by society (or God, Universe, whatever), that's when a person can snap. That's when, for some people, they become so consumed by resentment and anger that the veil of civilization falls down and primal rage takes over.
Never underestimate the human animal's capacity for violence or stupidity.

·
Pulling my hair.
27,892 Posts
What a silly thread!!!!! Have any of you other than a few ever killed anything other than a robin with your BB gun when you were 12??

It takes time to die when shot by ANYTHING most times. I've killed 100+ deer, bears, elk, coyotes, bobcats, and MANY other smaller animals. MOST of the time it takes a few seconds for something to die. And since I'm talking rifle calibers which dwarf most pistol calibers in energy and destruction of the vitals. Case in point: my youngest son shot a small doe with a 6.5x55 139 grain SP at an angle. Passed through one lung, passed through the back of the other lung and clipped the liver. Had a exit wound bigger than a softball. We trailed that deer almost 200 yards and found its stomach on a limb at 150 yards where it crossed a downed tree. And y'all think a PUNY 9mm or a PUNY .45 is gonna have more energy than that 6.5x55. That is just one example. Most heart shot animals take off on a death run and "live" a few seconds which can be enough time for someone to kill ya with knife if right on top of you. Had to shoot two bears twice before they quit moving. Shot a cow elk 4 times with a .308 180 grain bullet before she fell. Now I will admit they weren't really going anywhere after the first shot but they very well could have done damage to ya had ya been right on top of them.

You have to shut down the central nervous system to kill something and that can take time. Hydro static shock is your friend and MOST pistols just don't really have much if any at all.

I apologize to y'all who understand what I said. @Busa Dave and @WWB and @WC145

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,925 Posts
Whatever, I've killed many a 6-pack and a few cases also. And yeah, it took a few seconds. Killed more than my fair share of a** too. That took a good while though, on purpose. 😉

Lighten up limpkiller.

Reactions: limbkiller

·
Pulling my hair.
27,892 Posts
Whatever, I've killed many a 6-pack and a few cases also. And yeah, it took a few seconds. Killed more than my fair share of a** too. That took a good while though, on purpose. 😉

Lighten up limpkiller.
What you quoted has nothing to with killing live things. And I'm sure I have killed WAY more beer and whiskey than you have unless you average a gallon of whiskey and a couple cases a beer a week for the last 40+ years.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,925 Posts
What you quoted has nothing to with killing live things. And I'm sure I have killed WAY more beer and whiskey than you have unless you average a gallon of whiskey and a couple cases a beer a week for the last 40+ years.
I'm sure me or anyone for that matter can match your MANLINESS limpkiller. So I will bow out now. Lol, you must be having a bad day. It's really not that serious. You know stress can kill you right? So drink a couple of gallons of whiskey and 5 or 6 cases of beer and chill out.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Maybe it's time to switch to chamomile tea, or maybe a nice rooibos.

Reactions: OldCuz
161 - 180 of 184 Posts