Colt 1910's G.I. Model Questions

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by richierich33, Jul 14, 2020.

1. richierich33

richierich33 New Member

Jul 14, 2020
    This is an old handgun that has been passed down in my family from my great-great-grandfather who was a Marine during WW1. I'm not sure if this was a pistol he received in the service, but as far as I have found it was manufactured around that time.

As you can you the serial number is c114277; the serial number looks a bit funny to me. Almost like the first 1 was added later. It could just be typical of the print quality in that time period, but questions like that are why I'm here.

I've used several resources to try and locate the year that this gun was issued and from whom it was issued, but I haven't found a source or explanation that convinces me.

If anybody has more credible resources and explanations for the origin of this gun, please send it my way.

It has some checking on the front, which my family assumes is a "body count" from my great-great-grandfather's days in the mafia (true story), but I imagine it was really just a bad attempt to enhance the grip. The original grips have been misplaced since it was in gggdad's possession, and has had faux-ivory grips on it ever since.

Does anybody know any information about this: what this may be worth, how to increase or maintain it's value, or it's origin?

Attached Files:

Colorado Sonny, gps man and nikerret like this.
  2. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    I don’t know anything, except, it’s cool.

3. LEO918

LEO918 Death Valley, Arizona.

Jun 7, 2020
    Commercial Government Model from 1919. The custom work and lack of original grips really hurts the value. Maybe right place right time $1000.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum.

Colorado Sonny and gps man like this.
  4. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Early front strap checkering. Nice!

FWoo45 likes this.
  5. richierich33

richierich33 New Member

Jul 14, 2020
    Where did you find that out? I've used Colt's serial number lookup, and a couple of years ago it claimed it was a 1915 model, but now it claims 1919.

Other sources show that that 1919 model serial numbers only ranged in the upper 500,000's to 800,000's. While the 1915 models ranged from 107,000's to 125,000's.

In that year Colt manufactured 1911's with serial numbers from 107,597 to 113,496 and Springfield picked it up from 113,497 to 120,566.

To me, it seems like that's right where my serial number should fit, but some manufacturer records seem untrustworthy.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  6. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Colt's ser # records are about the only thing they're (pretty) good at these days. I'm no historian though.

I think the "body count" checkering word go great with the new roll marks on the royal blue guns.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Somehow I doubt that's "body count" checkering.

8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    It was a joke Bob.

I like the way FWoo thinks . . . .

yoda-lift-ZOID-output.jpg

9. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    The C prefix on the serial number indicates "Commercial", and as indicated above the serial number is a Government Model, not a Model 1911.

The Government Model was not made or shipped in numerical serial number order, and only a Colt factory letter will give the actual date of shipment. More than likely shipped in 1919, but could be as late as 1920.

LEO918 likes this.
  10. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Surprising enough, C #s prior and after that one were shipped to S. Bryan at the US Naval Academy Annapolis Md. May 22 1919
    Goddard book of serial recordings show #114244 to USN Academy and #1144400 Going to Ed McGivern And then #144700 going to USN Academy again.
    Also FYI: Many guns close to that # were shipped originally from Colt’s Factory with ivory grips.
    34D5AE13-7289-4760-8A5E-565CB826BCF2.jpeg

Colorado Sonny and LEO918 like this.
  11. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Goddard cherry picked the serial numbers with interesting ship to's or features. Those shipped to uninteresting places didn't make the list. Close to doesn't count.

M1911info likes this.
  12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Thanks Z.

13. richierich33

richierich33 New Member

Jul 14, 2020
    This is something I'd like to know more about. Where is that record from? The 1911 has always had ivory-looking grips, but I always discounted them as being unoriginal. I still have them, but I don't keep them on the gun.

Could you cite that book or source so I can look into it?

14. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    Sure
    They are not easy to come by but you may locate one if your patient. I was lucky and acquired this one on eBay.
    FE85AF5F-4804-4DFA-A678-D46ADCBA550F.jpeg 7F341265-BBCC-4C3D-A28F-59832A72A012.jpeg

Colorado Sonny, rmac and ZoidMeister like this.
  15. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    Sorry for the blurry photo.
    Here is another.
    13A7977B-010D-49D6-AA8A-FDCC34C35827.jpeg

rmac and ZoidMeister like this.
  16. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    To get the information on your Colt you will need to get a letter from the Colt Historical Department. $100 and about a 3-4 month wait.

Uncle Bob and M1911info like this.
  17. Jennifers

Jennifers Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    OK, not 1911 expert, but the S# looks odd. The first three are nice and clean and deep, the last three are washed out and shallow. Might be light too. Still, does not look my 1914. Of course mine came with Hitlery Klinton/Janet Reno ugly plastic pearl grips! Probably why no one else would buy it! The guy I got it from thought they were great! I threaten the kids with putting them back on the 1911 and leaving it to them that way in my will if they don't shape up! Several 1911 S# lists out there.

18. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Interesting, it has the "heart shaped" cutouts like the late war 1911s. A leftover frame moved from Army to commercial, or they just left the machine set up that way for a while, who knows?

Funny numbers are not uncommon in that era, I think the serial number is legit.

Jim Milks could weld in a new front strap but there would be no way to match the finish which is otherwise in very good condition. Why can't they polish and blue them with nice even roll marks like that any more? Best just to consider the grooving part of GGGrandpa's Legacy.

19. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    The military was pushing Colt to speed up production, and leaving the heart shaped cutout in the grip did away with additional machining operations, speeding up production. When the military pistol contract was cancelled Colt continued to use frames, as well as other parts, already made.

Same thing after WWII. To get back in .45 pistol production after WWII Colt used left over military contract parts. They removed any military markings, and gave them a commercial serial number.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  20. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    The serial numbers were applied by a die that advanced one digit each time it applied a serial number, and it is normal for one or more digits to be lighter or deeper than others. Typically the 1 applied deeper than a more complex digit like an 8.

As to the Goddard book, you won't find any information on your particular pistol. You will need the Colt letter to tell when your Colt was shipped, and what if anything was extra.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted