1911-22, Mark VI, or...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by DMiller, Mar 19, 2019.

1. DMiller

DMiller Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    I just found out that my local range lowered their age requirements, meaning my soon to be 11 year old can go shoot with me. I’m considering the Browning 1911-22 Black Label Medallion (compact) and the Ruger Mark IV Standard with the 4.75” barrel.

I really like the looks of the Browning. I handled one at Cabela’s, and it was nice, but the Ruger has been around forever, and seems to have the same controls and grip angle as a 1911.

I’ve also considered a Ruger Single Six. I kinda like the idea of a single action as a first handgun. Take the time to cock the hammer, then fire. Not just be able to send lead down range as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Anyone with both, or all three? Plus or minus to any of them, or am I good to go either way? Should I be considering something else?

Thanks!

2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    When my kids reached age 10 I put them on to handguns. We had a Ruger Mk III, a Colt Frontier Scout (like a single six)and a Beretta Neos, later on we added an early version of the Browning 1911-22. They all (3 of them) gravitated to the Neos. They all claimed they liked the grip, the lightness and they said it was easy to tell it was empty, plus they seemed to shoot it best...best being paper plates at 5, 10 and later 15 yards off a bench.

We'd load 5 rounds in magazines.

After each shooting session they disassembled their gun and cleaned it...this to may have been a factor as to what gun they favored.

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I'd mention the Browning Buckmark. They're similar to the Ruger, yet much more user friendly.

The Ruger MK1-3 is a great shooter, but a bear to takedown for maintenance! MK IV seems to be much easier, but I haven't had the chance to mess with one yet.

Ruger Single Six is one of my favorites, and are very durable single actions! I have a convertible model, and have used the .22 WMR cylinder quite a bit, and like the option. Don't forget the little Bearcat too! Super handy little .22 revolver, although it is not user friendly for those of us with larger hands! LOL
    As far as 1911-22's go, I can't comment on them.
    The main thing is your taking your son, and sharing your love of shooting. More fathers need to do that with their kids, and I feel like the world would be a better place.
    Just my .02, good luck, and stay safe!

DMiller likes this.
  4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I'll add this, if I could only have one, I'd pick the Ruger Single Six. Reason is they're built like tanks, user friendly, very accurate if the shooter does his or her part, and they're timeless pieces of shooting history in my eyes. I've seen some that are truly heirloom quality, with very fine grips, and engraving etc. so the aftermarket options, and several variations are out there for them. I also feel like the action itself is far more robust than most of the competition.
    Let us know what you end up with!

DMiller likes this.
  5. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    The Ruger Mk IV standard version doesn't have the same grip angle as a 1911. Maybe you were looking at the Ruger 22/45?

Anyhow, I would get the Single Six, and then later graduate to the 22/45. I have both, although my 22/45 is a MkII.
    The Single Six should last forever, and I'm with you on a single action revolver as a first handgun so there isn't the itch to just blast away. The .22 wmr is a great bonus to mix it up a little.
    That black label does look nice, though.

DMiller likes this.
  6. DMiller

Apr 29, 2012
    You are correct. Only the 22/45 has the same grip angle as a 1911. The standard does not. I misread the information in an article.

7. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I have had both a buckmark field target and a Ruger Mark IV Hunter. I like both of them. The Buckmark feels better in the hand to me, and I shoot it a little better. But the grips on the mark IV might better suit the kids. I think the trigger out of the box is better on the buckmark, but for $100, I put a Volquartsen accurizing kit in the Ruger that made it a nicer trigger than th BM.

I think both are really good guns and enjoyed them for a long time before selling them off.

IDK if the single six is better or not for the kids. I thought about one for the same reasons as you. But instead, I just put one round in the mag for them and got them to understand the semi auto. After they proved to me they had mastered the controls, I slowly increased the round count. I must say I think I would have felt more comfortable with a revolver. I can't really pinpoint a good reason for it other than I believe it is simpler to understand, and I believe cocking the hammer brings an obvious indicator that the gun is hot. One could really make arguments either way.

Harleyvato and DMiller like this.
  8. DMiller

Apr 29, 2012
    Still going back and forth on these. There really isn’t a bad one of the bunch. Not having handed any of them, he likes the looks of the Mark IV the best, so that’s probably what I’ll go with. I’m still going try find a local stores with them in stock. See if he still feels the same way.

9. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Just to sweeten the pot for the 22/45, suppressor ready. ;)
    Screenshot_20190223-085541_Gallery.jpg

DMiller and Badabing11 like this.
  10. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    LOL, when I was a kid, I saved and saved for my first shotgun. I went out with my dad at a place that would let you try before buying. It was between a Browning A5, and a Beretta BL3 Over and under. I hit 5 of 5 with the Browning, and 2 of 5 with the Beretta. Which one did I choose? The Beretta.. it looked cooler. I eventually figured out how to shoot it.

My bet though is the Ruger Mark will feel very good to him... and they do look cool

DMiller likes this.
  11. DMiller

Apr 29, 2012
    I have to admit, I like the way the Mark looks too. Kinda like a Luger- one of my Grail Guns.

12. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    No where near it. The grip and frame angles are all 1911, controls too. You want a 1911 shooter in 22lr, its all there in the 22/45. As i said before supressor ready!

13. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I have the Ruger Mark what ever Bull Barrel.....Like how can you not own one of those things. Had I known what the Ruger 22/45 was at the time I would have opted for that.

I also have the Browning 1911-22 Compact and I will say what a woot that is to shoot and break out at the range. Never had an issue with it with what ever ammo and it is accurate.

I would think for smaller hands the Browning what be the way to go to get them hooked on the 1911.....That is if you let him have range time with it.

Browning is on the top in the picture.

[​IMG]

Karsten

14. DSTallguy

DSTallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    Agreed! Take them shooting and teach them safety, respect and enjoyment. Both my boys and daughter have been shooting since they were 6.

15. DSTallguy

DSTallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    Agreed! Take them shooting and teach them safety, respect and enjoyment. Both my boys and daughter have been shooting since they were 6.

16. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    A1124E9F-DB5F-4824-8ABB-7FCCE2F36A1E.jpeg I just got this and love it. Mark IV 22/45 Lite. The factory trigger sucked, but I knew that going in. Now it’s got a full VQ kit in it along with a Tandemkross trigger. I am not a fan of the TRS-25 dot. I pulled it off of an air pistol just to make do. It’s getting a Vortex Venom tomorrow. For a new junior shooter I would let them shoot the base pistol with open sights and no upgrades. This thing is really fun to shoot and I’ve got 600-700 rounds of about 7 different kinds of ammo through it. Fabulous beginner gun, lots of options for upgrading and introduces them to the joys of the 1911.
    Jeff

DMiller likes this.
  17. Cat Herder

Cat Herder New Member

Jan 3, 2019
    I have a "full size" Browning Black Label Medallion with the threaded barrel. Runs OK with a suppressor - I get FTEs with some brands of full power 22 lr rounds - but the pistol being 85% the size of a "real" 1911 makes it too small for my hands. It is an excellent first pistol for a shooter with smaller hands as the controls mimic the larger 1911s we all shoot. I've had a Ruger Mark II for thirty years and liked it but have recently picked up a Browning Buckmark and enjoy shooting it immensely. I like the size of the grip and it has run flawlessly with the TacSol threaded barrel I installed. Hope this note isn't too late to be useful!

DMiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted