1911 357 Sig

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Old Rooster, Jul 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Old Rooster

Old Rooster Active Member

May 17, 2020
    Just a general question from someone with wayward brain cells - has anyone besides Sig done this chambering in a 1911? It’s a helluva cartridge. It’s a more Super Super. I picked up an exc ++ G 32 a few years ago and would love to have 1 working 1911 in that chambering.

2. Snakebill

Snakebill Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2018
    I’m sure someone else has but I haven’t come across them. Oddly enough a friend and I were talking about 357 sig the other day and I was thinking about fitting a fusion barrel into my colt delta. I already used their 40sw barrel in it. Thinking triple caliber?

wrmiller and Old Rooster like this.

3. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    If you can run 40 you can run 357. Go for it. I just never was smitten with the Sig platform.

Snakebill likes this.
  4. Stumpnav

Stumpnav Member

Aug 18, 2019
    I love the cartridge....it’s a pain to reload though which means factory Ammo which tends to be expensive. If someone was buying my Ammo for me it would be high on my list.

Dub, Old Rooster, tac45 and 1 other person like this.
  5. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    I asked the same question to a well-known pistolsmith thinking the shape of the bottleneck cartridge would feed well. He said it is quite the opposite, that feeding both the bullet and the shoulder of the case causes issues. I do love the round.

Acroyer and Old Rooster like this.
  6. Ned Christiansen

Ned Christiansen Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2013
    I did a custom 1911 in .357 SIG maybe 5 years ago but I don't think it makes the most sense unless you are sitting on a lot of free ammo. If I wanted those ballistics, for myself I would go with 9X23 and load it down to .357 SIG levels. .357 SIG runs at 40K PSI max where 9X23 is at 55K. 9X23 has about 100 FPS on .357 SIG (comparing 124's). Not sure at what pressure 9X23 would come down to .357 SIG external ballistics.... I'm not an internal ballistics expert at all but something tells me it's still going to be more than 40K. In other words it seems to me like loading 9X23 down 15,000 PSI would have to give up more than 100 FPS.....?

More bullets with 9X23 too. But I'm not a fan. Factory ammo is tremendously hot-- lots of recoil and lots of loudness. I recently shot one and alternated 9X23 with .38 Super +P in the mag. The .38 Supers seemed almost like .22's by comparison!

Fred_G, wrmiller, TSean and 6 others like this.
  7. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I have given this some thought as well. But I'm not currently set up for reloading. Is this round available commercially?

8. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    I agree about reloading it. I figured it would feed well. Huh. I have a friend who runs 9x23 as well as Super. I think he has a couple of pistols set up for it but I haven’t shot that cartridge. Maybe I’d best be content with properly loaded Super in my 1911s and just run the 357 in my Glock. It is a hiccup free good shooter.

9. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    Yes. Not hard to find. Priced about like 40 is. As we all know prices at present are stupid. But my personal cheapazz opinion is that it is a superior cartridge, especially for a carry or duty round. The drawback for service pistols is ammunition cost compared to 9mm. There’s no real reason for that kind of difference.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  10. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    What little I read about the 357 Sig is that it didn't penetrate as well as the heavier 40s, but I've not done my own testing to verify or disprove this. I'm not a 9mm fan, but that's just me. ;)

As for functioning, well, I can make it reliable. And that's all that matters to me about that. :)

I like the idea of the 357 Sig as it will work in my 40s or 10mms with a simple barrel and magazine change. But, as I already have 40 and 10mm is the Sig just a solution looking for a problem? (in my particular case) I honestly don't know.

11. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Nineteen-ElevenObsession Active Member

Jun 21, 2020
    For many years, I have wanted a high-end 1911 in 357 Sig. They only places I've found that will do it are Fusion and SVI(I'm sure there are handful of others). CK Arms will do it in double stack gun. Might end up going that way. This round takes a lot of tuning to run right in the platform.

KKM makes barrels as well as Fusion. I may just build one myself using a JEM full length dustcover frame and monolithic slide.

Snakebill and Old Rooster like this.
  12. Ned Christiansen

Mar 27, 2013
    Here's the one and only .357 SIG 1911 I've done, as mentioned above. The customer's specs were a little on the wild side (including the caliber).... titanium frame Damascus slide and compensator.... but it turned out very likeable, other than being a little loud.

The compensator. The customer sent me a block of Damascus steel and I whittled this out of it. Shown with slide partly retracted so you can see the recoil spring plunger I made. The Commander-length slide was shortened a bit to keep overall length down; customer requested standard G-model length, which he got. But I hate a short recoil spring, so I made the comp and spring plug so the plug telescopes into the comp, allowing the use of standard G-model springs. Trying to keep things light so as to maximize the slight weight advantage gained with the Ti, I Skeletored the comp a little. Recoil spring plug is chromed, as are the hammer and barrel, by Chris at Metaloy.... great job Chris!
    7828 [​IMG]

Comp from the top. Grooves cut to match those that were already in the slide. Lots of work into this gun.
    7820 [​IMG]

The comp from the front. The holes are again, to get some weight out and for styling. They emulate my '90's bowling pin guns, where the front baffle was screwed in and had multiple holes for a custom spanner. The front face is polished so you can see the grain of the Damascus if you look closely.
    7821 [​IMG]

Fred_G, wrmiller, TSean and 17 others like this.
  13. Ned Christiansen

Mar 27, 2013
  14. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    :eek1:

15. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    Holy cow! What a masterful piece of work! Ned, was the 357 Cartridge a booger to get to feed and cycle properly?

16. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel ISO The Very Best 1911's Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2019
    My experience with 357 SIG in 1911 and BHP are as follows.

Most factory ammo has low neck tension and a flat nose to shorten the round enough to fit in the magazine. These are obstacles to perfect reliability in a single stack.

In a BHP, 40 mags have to be modified (opened) to get the nose higher or else the ammo starts nosing down too much by rd 7 in the mag.

In 1911, you will need to use 8rd 10mm magazines to get the best feeding as the 9rd 40/10mm mags typically have a hard time feeding round #1 when fully loaded. I guess you could download them..Some folks use .45 mags which will work OK until the lips spread.

I bet it would be far easier to build a 357 2011, based on the feed characteristics of the mags.

When you compare to a 9x23/9mm/38 Super/38 Supercomp, there is no comparison when it comes to versatility and reliability in a single stack 1911.

I agree with Ned that 9x23 as load by Win. is too hot for most non comped guns. It can be done but you see primer spread and pressure issues and it's 10 pounds of sugar in a 5 pound bag.

What I prefer is a 38 Super comp (rimless) loaded to about 1350 with a 125-grain bullet. That's just perfect. 9mm para barrel for practice. Works great.

Old Rooster likes this.
  17. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    I’m thinking the 1911 feeding geometry is quite different than the Glock. I run both 357 & 40 mags in the 32 without a hiccup.

18. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel ISO The Very Best 1911's Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2019
    You think?

Dub and Old Rooster like this.
  19. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    Just a wee bit

20. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    That’s actually beautiful in a wonderfully chaotic way. Have pics of the entire gun? The owner is a lucky man. Great job!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJP likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted