1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of the several 1911 80% frame milling fixtures do you guys recommend?

Reactions: HOGRIDER

·
The Tinker
3,340 Posts
I don't remember if you have a mill or not Bob, but if you do, I just took a piece of ground plate, drilled and tapped some holes for hold-down clamps. Clamp the frame to the plate and then stick it in the mill vise. :)

·
Premium Member
598 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't remember if you have a mill or not Bob, but if you do, I just took a piece of ground plate, drilled and tapped some holes for hold-down clamps. Clamp the frame to the plate and then stick it in the mill vise. :)
I do have a mill and I like the convenience/accuracy of the fixtures that make it easier to get the decking and rails cut level and square. The guides for the sear and hammer pin holes are a nice bonus.

·
Banned
824 Posts
I definitely recommend the 1911 Builders/Matrix Precision jig, they are the same I believe. I used the Stealth Arms jig, and while it's decent, it will not work with steel frames. The 1911 builders jig will work just fine with steel and is easier to use.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely recommend the 1911 Builders/Matrix Precision jig, they are the same I believe. I used the Stealth Arms jig, and while it's decent, it will not work with steel frames. The 1911 builders jig will work just fine with steel and is easier to use.
I'm not looking form a rail cutting jig, I have a mill for that. I'm looking for a fixture to hold the frame in a mill vice and deck, cut rails, drill holes, etc.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I'm not looking form a rail cutting jig, I have a mill for that. I'm looking for a fixture to hold the frame in a mill vice and deck, cut rails, drill holes, etc.
Sorry about the misunderstanding. I don't think that anything from 1911builders will work, as most of their options expect that you're going to be using their decking jig and rail cutting jig.

CC

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: Crewchief

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,
No, but an E-Mail to EGW would probably work...
They have fantastic customer service!
https://www.egwguns.com/contact/index/
I did hear back from EGW quickly and they sent along the instructions (attached). It's not clear to me how all the smaller holes on the reverse side of the plate are used to position the frame and they are looking into answering that, too.

Attachments

Reactions: seagiant

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hi,
Well....I'm sure if George Smith has anything to do with it, it probably works!
Just sayin!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hi
The other thing you can do is just buy a piece of 1" thick steel.
Then drill/tap holes that match your hold down set for your mill.
You can hold it upright in your vise.
It depends how you want to go.
Living in Florida, I'm probably going to be Gunkoting shop made jigs as much as pistols, this year! (humidity/rust!)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi
Living in Florida, I'm probably going to be Gunkoting shop made jigs as much as pistols, this year! (humidity/rust!)
That certainly is possible. Building my own fixture to fit what I'll work on with the equipment I'll use has advantages. The "good part" of the pre-made fixtures is that they have a built-in locating system (usually of pins) to repeatably position the frame accurately. The EGW plate has the potential added benefit of working with slides.

I know the humidity feeling. My shop is indoors, at least, but in coastal Georgia we have plenty of moisture! :)

Reactions: seagiant

·
The Tinker
3,340 Posts
Hi
I suggested a piece of ground plate so that you know the sides of the plate are flat and parallel. Or, you could do what I did and make a few passes on a piece of plate with a face mill. :)

I don't understand the desire for locating pins, but I probably do this differently than some others do I'm sure. :)

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used one of these this past summer. It is handy for all kinds of things.
Cool! What did you you the array of small holes on the reverse side of the plate to do? It looks as if they might be to help align the frame for various operations, but I didn't seem any pins in the kit to use for that.

Reactions: TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot
1 - 20 of 57 Posts