1911 9mms

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by HOTCHKIS, Oct 28, 2018.

1. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    19B4C624-30A4-4D02-9631-160CEA4F8144.jpeg [/ATTACH] 1B581788-45C3-4EC4-8E0F-2DA9CD55C779.jpeg Both pistols 40rds at 5 7 and 10yds. 10rds at 15yds.

LPRoad, Dwe, Doc45 and 8 others like this.
  2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Maybe we just use this thread anytime someone asks if 9mm 1911's work :grin::grin:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Greg6640, mikegalway, boatdoc and 4 others like this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I have a SA Loaded Target in 9mm that works...

... but it took about 2 weeks to diagnose fix all of its problems. In the end I ended up putting in a heavier recoil spring, lighter mainspring, and lighter (standard weight) firing pin spring. I also swapped out the two piece guide for a GI guide rod.

Now the gun runs like a champ.

It still boggles my mind that the engineers at Springfield couldn't spec this gun with the correct spring weights to begin with.

Anyway, the whole argument that 9mm 1911s will never work because of the shorter COAL of 9mm is bullsh*t. With the correct magazines and a ramped barrel, they work just fine.

boatdoc likes this.
  4. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    I had 9mm Springfields with issues and got rid of them. Did not bother to send back. Had issues with my Colt Competition, sent it back and they fixed it. I have a Guncrafter that had some issues but Derek was able to provide remote tech support, had me send back the slide stop, and now it is perfect.

As much as I like my Colt, it has been the GI that hooked me on a 9mm 1911. I am divesting myself of selected .45s and working on getting another top notch 9mm. I just shoot them better.

Sure, some people say that in a self defense situation, a single .45 will be more effective than a single 9mm round, but I can assure you that for me, if there is ever a need for follow up shots, the 9mm be able to send them more quickly and the group on the "target" will be much smaller.

boatdoc, Fort Tom and KTXdm9 like this.
  5. KTXdm9

KTXdm9 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2018
    My Guardian in 9mm is one of my favorite pistols to shoot. I like to call it pillowy-soft recoil. Follow up shots are a breeze.

boatdoc, 41 Charlie and Fort Tom like this.
  6. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Seriously if you want a 1911 9mm that just flat our runs and shoots balls to the wall. Get a Dan Wesson Pointman 9.. Not only do these things rock they are also extremely accurate and near effortless to shoot.. I have heard of the 9mm in Guardian shooting high and a few other small issues, but dead serious these guns just don't have any problems at all functionally.. I almost feel guilty shooting this gun.. Like I'm cheating lol

boatdoc and HOTCHKIS like this.
  7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I've got a new DW Valor 5" 9mm that won't quite behave after 600 rounds, and had a Colt that I bent that long a$$ ejector with Wilson mags, a Fusion that runs like a scalded dog, while others wont.

I continue to maintain there are some 1911 9mm's that run, some that won't, and you'll never know which is which for under $3000 until you get it, and the science is still not settled.

boatdoc likes this.
  8. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Is the gun fully broken in (over 500 rounds)?

What are the trouble symptoms?

Which magazines are you using? Have you tried different magazines?

9. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017

Tripps, and Metalforms (which they ship with and run best)

I run it clean and I run it wet. Ordered an 11lb recoil spring that should be here this week.

boatdoc and Steve Owens like this.
  10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    You got that right, I know someone with a fusion 9mm that's been back 4 times and still won't run lol. Sounds like maybe your Valor has an extractor issue. As far as the ejector sometimes you have to trim the bottom corner of those long ejectors depending on the mags your using. Not uncommon for some mags to hit the longer ejectors. Was the ejector just flat?

boatdoc likes this.
  11. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    If it helps, I'm running a 13# recoil spring and a 19# mainspring in my SA. Metalform mags have generally worked for me (with a few hiccups). The Wilson Combat mags have worked extremely well for me.

boatdoc and Fort Tom like this.
  12. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Some times with those DWs in 9 a heavier recoil spring can be the answer as well, but I almost bet you extractor has lost tension or was just on the border. Especially if it ran alright to begin with.

boatdoc likes this.
  13. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    I might have confused y'all upthread. My Valor does not have extractor or ejector issues. Does not always go fully into battery (occasionally), and doesn't always lock back on empty(occasionally). Didn't like a 12lb recoil spring either. 11lb on the way. 10lb is stock.

Steve Owens likes this.
  14. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    The other thing to pay attention to is the mainspring. If it's too heavy, the slide will dump too much energy when cocking the hammer, and it will struggle to return into battery.

But, I agree that trying the 11# recoil spring first, while holding all other variables constant, is the right move. Good luck!

fieldgrade, boatdoc and Steve Owens like this.
  15. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    I forgot to ask Keith at DW the spring weight on the mainspring, but it is observably very light when cocking the hammer, as is the recoil spring which he said is 10lb. They are mushy light.

I'm going to put that 11lb recoil spring in as was recommended by WWB, then shoot the snot out of it.

boatdoc likes this.
  16. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Have two 9mm 1911s that run and run. My Kimber 9mm KHX has been my most trouble free 1911.
    Jeff

17. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I have and love my 9mm Lightweight Commander. It’s just that the brass it uses is 38 Supurb! But still somewhat of a 9mm.
    And my 5 inch Government is 9mm only 9x23!
    I think if I ever get the itch for 9x19 Luger I’ll be looking at a High Power or maybe a Beretta just for nostalgia.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  18. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I highly recommend a SIG P226 over the Beretta. In fact there just so happens to be an awesome deal on one in the classifieds. :cool2:

19. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    @PewPewPtwang
    I did see that Sig but, haven’t felt that itch yet. Thx
    GLWS

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  20. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    @Capthobo, been thinking of selling a real nice high power, when you end up having to scratch that itch give me a shout.. ;)

boatdoc likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted