1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Any 1911 chambered in 10mm or 40 S&W is as easy as fitting the 357SIG bbl.
I've done several. Best to have an adjustable sighted slide for elevation changes in POI.
357 SIG will be lower due to higher velocity etc.

I've got one with two different height rear sights but it's a PITA unless I'm leaving it in one or the other caliber for a while.
The 10mm slide has sat dormant for about a year now.

Or
of course you can build one with a 40/10 slide since the breech face is the same. Ramped bbl.'s seem to work best and give better support to the cartridge. Generally they feed great due to the bottleneck design.
40 or 10 mags work fine on the ones I've built. I usually use forty mags with the spacer in the rear. Seems to keep the stack better aligned for smoother feeding. FWIW

·
We Are!
3,223 Posts
At one time, my favorite carry-gun was a SIG P229 in .357 SIG. I became quite a fan of that cartridge. The marriage of that round and the 1911 always struck me as a darn good idea.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Recently there were a bunch of close out deals from SIG on 1911 barrels.
They were clearing out stock.
Might be worth looking around.
IIRC Fleabay and I think SIG's site had them discounted

·
Yes, I own a dremel tool.
56 Posts
I have a Delta with a Storm lake 357 barrel in it. Only reason for doing it was at the time 357sig brass was dirt cheap. Now that the brass is no longer a bargain once I am out of brass it will probably go back to a 10mm or .40 barrel.

If you hand load 9mm profile bullets can be loaded a little long and they will feed quite well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts