1911 Department of U.S.Navy Question

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by joerockhead, Nov 10, 2011.

1. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    This site is full of great minds and talent when it comes to 1911's and so I ask for some
    information from you guys on the following:

I came across a 1911 in very good condition. It dates to 1918 ( says my LGS guy.. I need to verify SN yet)
    The slide is roll marked Department of the United States Navy,
    but the frame says United States Government. Visually, the slide , frame , and the rest of the
    parts all look the same. Meaning the gun doesn't look like a bunch of misc parts.
    So since the slide is Navy and the frame is Army .... What happened ?

My LGS guy says the slide alone could be worth almost that to someone who had a USN Frame .
    It's a beautiful 1911 and there is not much wear to the finish for its age.
    Is this worth $2000 if its original ?

I was thinking about getting it for my son who plans on attending the Naval Academy after High School.
    I haven't told him about it. It would be a graduation gift.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated....

Thanks

Joe

2. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011

Joe,
    I think something like that needs an expert appraisal.Do you have any professional auction houses around like these guys? http://www.cowanauctions.com/

My wife is an historian/archivist who has dealt with these folks and they are very good.Wes Cowan is featured on HISTORY'S DETECTIVES on the History channel.
    These guys might be of some help.

Just my.02.

DAT85

3. tahunua001

tahunua001 perty mouthed redneck

Nov 7, 2011
    I by no means an expert but I believe all the frames were USG frames and the slides were marked either army or navy but I could be wrong.

4. joerockhead

Oct 12, 2011
    So you think the frames may have all been marked Government ?

5. joerockhead

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks DAT85..

I will look into it...

6. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Cruise on over to coolgunsite.com

Spend an evening comparing the gun to the ones you see there. Look at the "Navy Gallery" for pics of markings on early Navy 1911's. The ID pages will help with S/N's and all the other proof marks to see if it is original.

7. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Wish I could help you but on the eve of the USMC 236 birthday I hate to tell you that the Navy guys don't handle real guns. After all they are Navy.

Just kidding. Hope you find out the info you are looking for. I hope it's positive and a great gift to a son who will serve in todays world. Shake his hand for me.

8. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Okay, here it goes, If the serial number consist of six digits, it is a 1918 model. Additionally, the left side of the frame should be marked UNITED STATES PROPERTY. The JMG cartouche should be stamped above the mag release. The right side of the frame shoulf have the 6-digit serial number and possibly stamped UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT above the grip. The right side of the slide should be marked MODEL OF 1911 U.S. NAVY.

There was 500 USN marked 1918 Colt s that were sent to the Brroklyn Navy Yard for the Naval Militia and are more often found than most other batches. These are the only NAVY marked pistols to bear the JMG cartouche. Value can range from $1000 (Poor condition) to $6000 (Execellent condition). Near mint condition (99%-100%) can add another 30%. If you could post some pics of the noted areas and provide the first four digits of the 6-digit serial number, it would be extremely helpful in identifying this pistol.

James

9. joerockhead

Oct 12, 2011
    James thanks for your input...
    I will get the Serial number this Saturday, since I do not have the pistol in my possession. ( it's at a LGS I frequent)
    I will check for the JMG cartouche also... From what I recall the rest of your descriptions match the pistol well.
    I'm very thankful for your help.

Joe

10. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    So remind your son no shooting if you give it to him. If you get it post photos. Condition is everything and if he shoots it the lack of heat treat expedites fatigue and could leave you with a $2000 paper weight if the slide cracks.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted