1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the many members here who have passed along nuggets of info on 1911's and tinkering with them.
Yesterday I did my first detail strip of a Springfield RO full size in 9mm. It is the highest round count pistol I currently own. It will soon go bye-bye to my daughter. I wanted to make sure the internals were clean, so she would have no problems with it for the foreseeable future.
I was shocked to find the pistol very clean inside for 1500 rounds. Checking each part in detail, I found no internal issues. The sear and hammer had full contact, and the whole pistol seemed to be very well put together. I did stone a couple of burrs on the trigger strap.
As this was my first detail strip, was wondering what intervals you all do detail strips for cleaning. Myself, I think 5000 rounds would be a decent interval for that. Unless you are rolling around in the dirt with a 1911, I just don't see it as an issue until much higher round counts are met. What say you?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I probably detail strip around 2,000. Most likely more than needed but I enjoy doing it and have done them as soon as 500, just because I wanted to. Probably have not gone beyond 4,000.

A detail strip is just good therapy.

·
Known Agitator
3,241 Posts
I have done it a couple of times long ago. Now, while installing a new trigger, I have gotten pretty good at it. I don't find it therapeutic, usually a lot of cursing.

I don't have a set interval to clean them with a detail strip. It is probably a good idea at some interval. Will probably do my carry gun once a year or so, whether it needs it or not. :)

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
I have lost count of the number of times I have detail stripped my 1911s. If I wasn’t into building them I probably would not do it unless there was an issues. Just clean and lube the top end.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Terrifies me to be perfectly honest............
That was me for a long time too. What started the fear and trepidation was changing a mainspring housing, not being able to get the sear spring seated properly, and having a gun that wouldn't work for weeks until I got it in correctly.

Once I figured out that seating the sear spring is WAAAAYYYY easier if you remove the thumb safety and grip safety, the days of fearing a complete tear down were over.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
getting the sear and a few other parts back in place correctly is daunting IMHO.

I like my guns to work a s intended..no extra parts after assembly..;)

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I'm more the "hmmm,wonder what's in there?"
Just gotta rip stuff apart,don't really care what.
I envy folks like you and zoid--cajones

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Reactions: boatdoc

·
Registered
801 Posts
I detail strip at 1500 rounds. This is also when I replace the recoil spring. I shoot my 1911s about 1000 rounds per month in total. So, depending on how many I am using in rotation, I guess I detail once every two or three months. Some sit six months at a time, others are shot a lot. I keep a round count record on my phone and sometimes I am surprised that I haven’t shot one for a few months. I enjoy detail strips and I am always amazed at the genius of JMB.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
What makes you uncomfortable? Or is that sarcasm? I detail my 1911, maybe once a year or 2. Or sooner if I want to change a part.

1911’s are so simple, that it boggles my mind when somebody says they are harder to take apart than a modern counterpart. Obviously, people who think 1911’s are hard to strip and put together have never detailed a CZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
Whenever I feel like it but, at minimum, every 2000 rounds. Why? Because I need to check the firing pin and hammer spring lengths against new ones at that interval. I have been surprised to find guns with (what I thought, at least) pretty low round counts that had collapsed springs.

Once I’ve pulled the MSH apart and removed the firing pin there really isn’t much left to complete a detail strip.

Somewhere between 2,000 and 5,000 rounds you are going to have to change springs. There’s a good chance it will be sooner than later. I think DW recommends either 2,000 or 2,500 for recoil replacement. Can’t remember, but I got busy and let one of mine go too long. I pulled the recoil spring out of my DW Valor full-size .45 at about 3,800 rounds and checked it and it was a full 1.1” shorter than a new one.

That’s just what I do and why. YMMV.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What makes you uncomfortable? Or is that sarcasm? I detail my 1911, maybe once a year or 2. Or sooner if I want to change a part.

1911’s are so simple, that it boggles my mind when somebody says they are harder to take apart than a modern counterpart. Obviously, people who think 1911’s are hard to strip and put together have never detailed a CZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^THIS!^^^

And make that a CZ with decocker, LOTS of extra parts compared to a 1911, and there's at least one little spring that LOVES to go walkabout :rolleyes:.

In truth, neither of them are all that complicated or difficult, although I'll admit that when I last detail stripped my Series 80 1911, I got the firing pin block lifter lever (geez, say that 3 times really fast!) reversed. Everything functioned fine, up to actually firing a live round, then CLICK! instead of BANG! :oops:. Got that sorted, then I started getting hammer follow :confused:. Okay, maybe not helping you scaredy cats, but the point is, I did get it sorted, and that pistol now runs like a champ, and with a much better trigger than I started with. And I'm intimately familiar with the guts of all my guns, and that's always a good thing. So dive in, it'll be worth it :cool:! Oh, and to keep this on topic, no set interval, so far, it's either done when I first get a new to me gun, or when I'm making upgrades. Later.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
getting the sear and a few other parts back in place correctly is daunting IMHO.

I like my guns to work a s intended..no extra parts after assembly..;)
I've torn enough down that I now have enough left-over parts to build my own!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts