1911 Firing with Thumb Safety engaged? Dry firing 1911's??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by SolidCustom, Dec 29, 2018.

1. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    I have not had a ND or anything, but today I took my Auto Ordnance 1911 apart to swap out the hammer. When I reassembled everything I placed the safety on to test it, and when I pulled the trigger the hammer dropped and the safety disengaged. I disassembled the gun, and what the issue seemed to be was the safety looks damaged. Could this be why the gun was able to fire with the safety on? I have since replaced the safety with another one which seems to have fixed the problem. My friend who works a lot on 1911's said that it happened because I dry fired it, or that I had actuated the safety too much. I have heard that it is safe to dry fire, and that is unsafe to dryfire. Could someone enlighten me on whether or not it is unsafe/safe to dry fire a 1911, or if it is safe/unsafe to actuate the safety. I might be wrong, but it sounds like hogwash to me... 20181229_163317.jpg

KS95B40 likes this.
  2. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Since the pure definition of dry firing means firing without ammo .. it is safe. The safety concern might be that someone thinks they are dry firing when there is in fact a round in the chamber.

As for taking the safety on and off .. with an unloaded gun .. certainly safe. With a loaded gun, safe also unless something is broken.

Nonetheless, in either case (dry firing or taking safety off/on), don’t do it unless the gun is pointed at something you are willing to put a hole clean through.

BenchMonkey, Fred_G and SolidCustom like this.

3. Coolsound

Coolsound Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Should not be an issue dry firing a 1911. Use a snap cap if you are really concerned...

Greg45acp and SolidCustom like this.
  4. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018

I have dry fired mine plenty of times, and racked the slide plenty of times, actuated the safety plenty of times, etc.

I figured it was fine, and shouldn't hurt the gun...

Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    It's a good idea to function check you gun after every cleaning or disassembly.

6. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    You are correct. Hogwash. Dry firing a 1911 is fine, so is actuating the safety. Rim fire pistols are not to be dry fired. Enjoy your 1911. Drawing and dry firing is very good practice.

dash and SolidCustom like this.
  7. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Dry firing your 1911 will do no harm. However, people who don't understand that 1911 ignition components are not "drop in" installing them into their guns could do harm.

MHarvey, KS95B40, BenchMonkey and 7 others like this.
  8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    BTW, that safety is not damaged. That white metal is evidence of it being fitted to that gun, and not damage.

KS95B40, BenchMonkey, gps man and 2 others like this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Dry firing was only a no no on older wheel guns with hammer firing pins. The reason being is that it could potentially damage the firing pin, not an unsafe practice, but impractical and detrimental to the life of the hammer with the firing pin made into part of the hammer. This design was changed. As far as I know it has never been really detrimental to dry fire a 1911 pistol.. What you have here is a hammer installed that probably or most definitely changed the dynamics of the ignition set up and therefore the thumb safety which was fit to the prior set up is no longer a fit to the new components. Not all hammers will put your sear in the same exact position in other words. You should never just put a hammer in a gun without changing the thumb safety. Size of the hammer hooks, angle of the hooks etc change the position at which the sear locks up and engages. As Mr. Chamber said above drop in parts on 1911 not a good idea, and imo one of the worst mistakes that manufacturers of these parts have made. Especially when it comes to ignition components and safety components of the pistol. So IE any internal part that controls the safety and firing of the firearm.. And even though your new safety functions it doesn't mean that it's fit properly.. Oh, and I would not take it to your friend who works on a lot of 1911s either because he has already given you false information from the get go..

10. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    It's great to see top smiths agree!

11. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    I never dry fire.

I oil it up a bit before dropping the hammer on empty chambers . . . .

Almost as bad as dry-rackering . . . . :cool:

:rolleyes:

12. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    You are correct, because now I have a new problem. I am having my hammer drop to half-cock sometimes, particularly if I lock the slide open and then hit the slide release. It seems if I hold the trigger rearward, this doesn't happen. I detail stripped the gun again and I am going to put the original safety back in and see what I can figure out... I am not happy, but I am glad I am learning more about this platform, and what not to do to it! If anyone has any advice, please share it..

13. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Get it to a qualified Smith who is experienced on 1911's immediately.

It's a simple fix, IF you know what you're doing, but that's a very important IF . . . .

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    KS95B40, azpoolguy, wrmiller and 2 others like this.
  14. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    I am definitely not going to be firing the gun, but it may take some time before I can get it to a smith. Right now all the parts are just sitting in a cigar box haha

15. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Sure, since you asked...STOP DROPPING THE SLIDE ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER FROM SLIDE LOCK!

Now, find someone with actual knowledge AND experience that is willing to work on an AO 1911. Send it to them.

Mickey D, rod442, KS95B40 and 6 others like this.
  16. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    LOL.

One of the main reasons I didn't do a lot of self-smiffin early on was the fear of starting out with a nice 1911 and ending up with a box of expensive parts . . .

Now, when I built ZOIDS1911, I STARTED with a box of expensive parts, and it was all uphill from there . . . . .

PCZoid-grips-final - 08.JPG

PCZoid-grips-final - 09.JPG

PCZoid-grips-final - 01.JPG

17. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Is there a particular reason you say this? Because I have heard this before, but it wasn't explained very well..

18. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

Joe knows ^^^

He runs the 1911 University . . . .

http://chamberscustom.com/1911-university/

Joe C likes this.
  19. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    To prevent additional damage, that's all.

KS95B40 and SolidCustom like this.
  20. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    What problems were you having with the gun that made you change the hammer? Or did you just want a different hammer? According to your first post, the first thing you did was change the hammer.. Was this a functioning complete put together pistol when you started? Cause your last post says it's a box of parts?

SolidCustom likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted