1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw something recently that made me consider this notion.

I was at a gun counter when I saw a fella, obviously inexperienced to the platform, handling a 1911. He reeaally liked locking the slide back and slamming it home with the slide stop. He kept absently rocking that poor sear assembly while yammering about how awesome the trigger was (it wasn't) about 15 times. And who knows how many hands that thing has passed through before and since. Now every time I see a nearly $5K Nighthawk and the like, it gives me pause. That beautifully tuned and polished trigger - just beat to hell.

Made me realize how fortunate I was to find my Professional at a shop with a zip tie running through the ejection port and out of the frame to deter this. Also made me wonder and hope that online models aren't subjected to this type of abuse nearly as frequently. That's definitely the route I'll personally be going from here on.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I dont know.. with all the fit and finish variations i have seen on production guns of all Brands. I doubt i will ever buy a 1911 that i can't hold in my hand and check out first. A custom, or semi custom ..different story..

·
Registered
846 Posts
I generally avoid gun stores, simply because I get very cranky when someone sweeps me with a muzzle. Like the LGS staff, but not idiot customers.
Yeah, if I only had a dollar for every time it's happened over the years (well, maybe $5 ).

Gunshows are way worse than gun stores.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,460 Posts
Yeah, if I only had a dollar for every time it's happened over the years (well, maybe $5 ).

Gunshows are way worse than gun stores.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Haven't been to a gunshot in decades, except one small local one. Was there about 10 minutes. Guy wanted to sell me an overpriced Colt, Wasn't happy when I said he'd gave to knock off at least 100 bucks for me to clean and detail it. ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
I suppose it depends on the size of the shop. A small, local store isn’t going to get traffic like a Cabella’s on Black Friday so the number of “handlings” is probably limited. Of course, if it’s a used gun, then who knows how it was treated before.

The Yaknee in me hates to pay a penny more than I need to - but I also realize that shops have to make money. It’s different with a big box store, but I’m more inclined to pay a little extra at my LGS just to help keep him in business. An extra $100 seems like a lot - but with all of the overhead of running a store, that’s not a lot of margin. I don’t mind “investing” in keeping him open by paying a little more than the Internet price.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like to buy used stuff locally, I have found a bunch of barely used stuff locally for great deals prior to the pandemic and those deals are starting up again. If I'm looking for something specific and I want new I'll search for best price

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've not cultivated a relationship with any local gun shops since leaving PA 15 years ago, so I tend to buy from whatever channel fits my needs. Buying from trusted sellers, such as other addicts or from those on the Brian Enos forums (for competition equipment) is preferable. However, maybe I'm lucky, but both guns I've bought on GB have been as advertised.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I suppose it depends on the size of the shop. A small, local store isn’t going to get traffic like a Cabella’s on Black Friday so the number of “handlings” is probably limited. Of course, if it’s a used gun, then who knows how it was treated before.

The Yaknee in me hates to pay a penny more than I need to - but I also realize that shops have to make money. It’s different with a big box store, but I’m more inclined to pay a little extra at my LGS just to help keep him in business. An extra $100 seems like a lot - but with all of the overhead of running a store, that’s not a lot of margin. I don’t mind “investing” in keeping him open by paying a little more than the Internet price.
Good point. Big Box stores are almost definitely pull from the stock room if you buy. you arent getting the counter model that has been abused
Like you, if the money is close, I go with the smaller local guys. Saddle River, or Triple J Firearms

·
Registered
910 Posts
I saw something recently that made me consider this notion.

I was at a gun counter when I saw a fella, obviously inexperienced to the platform, handling a 1911. He reeaally liked locking the slide back and slamming it home with the slide stop. He kept absently rocking that poor sear assembly while yammering about how awesome the trigger was (it wasn't) about 15 times. And who knows how many hands that thing has passed through before and since. Now every time I see a nearly $5K Nighthawk and the like, it gives me pause. That beautifully tuned and polished trigger - just beat to hell.

Made me realize how fortunate I was to find my Professional at a shop with a zip tie running through the ejection port and out of the frame to deter this. Also made me wonder and hope that online models aren't subjected to this type of abuse nearly as frequently. That's definitely the route I'll personally be going from here on.
and that is the #1 reason when i am looking at a gun from the display case, and IF i like it i ask, "ok, but now, do you have another one in stock, as i don't know how this was handled by others"?

if the salesman says yes, he goes and gets it

if he says no, i do not buy THAT gun

simple.

i hate tire kickers

Reactions: HueyDriver
1 - 12 of 12 Posts