1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I was perusing Novak's website tonight, and I see that many of their custom 1911 packages include the "Answer" 1-piece mainspring housing/backstrap.

This made me wonder how many 1911 owners here have it or have otherwise pinned the grip safety. Why (or why not) do it? And is it a big safety issue?

·
born in the wrong century
5,470 Posts
No pins for me, thank you.

J.M.B. put it there and I have no objections.

If I ever get to the point where I can no longer make a proper grip on the weapon then I’ll go to a Hi-Power or modern equivalent.

·
The Tinker
4,200 Posts
I pin mine. I put a boat-load of ammo through my competition pistols with pinned safeties and never experienced issues related to it.

J.M.B. put it (grip safety) in their because of the design, materials, and metalurgy of the period. Those original triggers were one-piece, pig heavy pieces of metal and something had to keep that thing from slinging around like a meteor during the recoil cycle, or if it was dropped while condition one.

But like most things designed over 100 years old, they have had their day, and better solutions can be had today. YMMV.

Edit: I stand corrected, in that the Army demanded that a grip safety be designed in. Not J.M.B.. Figures.

Reactions: AJP

·
Premium Member
5,997 Posts
I build/assemble very few............... but never pin.
I share many of my guns with Mrs. C. ..... keeping consistent for those less trained is essential, in my opinion.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
Depends on the main use for the gun . I personally don't own any pinned 1911s , but I see where competitive shooters may feel the need for it .

·
Banned
824 Posts
I never understood pinning the grip safety. Never had a problem with it not engaging when gripped properly, and if you're not holding the gun right you shouldn't be shooting anyway. Kinda seems like one of those things people overreact to. I don't see any downside to it, but it could keep you from having an AD if the thumb safety gets flipped off accidentally.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,295 Posts
I too understand doing it for competition shooting the only issue I would see with it, would be one of liability. Were an accident happen and the pistol had one of it's safety mechanisms pinned I would think Mr. District attorney would be all over that being a negligent act. Again if just for a competition gun, in the hand of a competent shooter, go for it but just like everything else in life there is always someone in the wings waiting to tell you it is wrong, unsafe, etc.. Just like removing the series 80 parts from a handgun equipped with them. No big deal if there is never an accident, but the minute there is someone will be screaming negligence, unsafe practices etc... I mean there are semi automatic handguns that don't use a grip safety so wouldn't know where an issue would be unless then of course it had a possibly unsafe trigger job done to the pistol.. And on guns where the GS is pinned you can almost bet your also dealing with a 2-2-1/2 lb trigger pull.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I understand that the Texas Rangers once had some members back in yesterday, that would wind wet rawhide strips around the stocks, to deactivate the grip safety. If, in a desperate moment, you pulled your gun, but had a least than optimal grip, then the Colt .45 would still fire....maybe saving heir life. It seems that Sheriff Jim Wilson wrote an article about pinning the grips.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sheriff Wilson also ran a Novak Answer that Wayne personally fit to a Colt. He raves about it in a few articles. A fellow addict ran one as well and hopefully he will be along shortly to explain in detail. I ignorantly passed on picking up a new Answer from another forum member & I still get upset when I think about it! Maybe someday Novak will release them to the public as an accessory.
Sorry for the derail.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I see no need to pin the grip safety in a defensive handgun.
I'm certainly no expert, but believe that if the GS is tuned correctly it should not be a problem.
A partial grip should deactivate the GS, and when released the sear leaf should have enough pressure to quickly reactivate the safety.

·
Premium Member
27,951 Posts
The Novak Answer is a wonderful mod to the 1911.
Some may like the idea, some don't. The greatest benefit I saw was that the Answer allowed for a very high grip. This, in turn, got the bore axis lower in the hand, which seemsed ro make the Colt feel smoother.

I can see the pros and cons of pinning or disabling the grip safety. Personally, I dont mess with them, I haven’t had any issues with not being able to disengage the GS. I did mess with trimming a Wilson shock buffer to act as a locking device to hold the grip safety in the depressed position. Easy toinstall and remove with no modifications to pistol or parts.

Wayne stated he would not sell the backstrap assembly by its self. I had one of the Answer backstraps and ended up selling it. A rather rare piece in its self.

One needs to remember, the idea of pinning or strapping a grip safety was derived many years ago. The grip safeties did not have the memory bumps that modern 1911s have now. These smaller, flatter grip safeties were often problem some in defensive shooting situations when a perfect grip was not possible.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I think pinning the grip safety is prohibited for IDPA competition (i.e. you can't disable a safety mechanism). I can't remember if that's also true for USPSA, but I suspect it is.

I've never had the need to do it. But my circumstances are by no means universal.

Reactions: Longbow

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think pinning the grip safety is prohibited for IDPA competition (i.e. you can't disable a safety mechanism). I can't remember if that's also true for USPSA, but I suspect it is.

I've never had the need to do it. But my circumstances are by no means universal.
Yes. It is true.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Every time this comes up, a lot of folks definitively reject the idea, but that may be because their hands activate/deactivate the safety 100 percent of the time. My hands do not so I pin. It is either that or do not carry a 1911. It is simply a matter of different physical makeup, not a matter of philosophy.

Re: liability and safety concerns, if you are going to be attacked in court, you are going to have to worry more about explaining the whole cocked and locked thing, why you did not carry with an empty chamber, etc.

I also sometimes carry a CZ and I do so cocked and locked and those do not have grip safeties. There are several other brands without those safeties you can do the same.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I thought JMB included the grip safety to meet the government requirements and that he didn’t care for the grip safety otherwise. Notice the Hi-Power doesn’t have one.

A military vet from 1911 issue era said he and others used to tape their grip safeties, when they could get away with it. I suspect modern grip safety designs with the memory bump have greatly reduced interest in pinning.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts