close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 Guide Rod Modification

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by 230gr, Aug 29, 2011.

1. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Take a look below...I really never see anyone talking about guide rods beyong the GI/FLGR banter.

I saw this on an AAR of a training course from LAV and Hackathorn (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=328632), and I also had a prominent pistolsmith remark that my GI guide rod was not relieved(?) and making contact with the bottom barrel lugs.

[​IMG]

2. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I've been doing that modification since I saw it in an old Vickers AAR, but you are right that it never gets mentioned. Of the 1911's I've owned, I have only seen one that had the reliefs from the factory. It's easy enough to do but Nighthawk sells one, not sure if anyone else does.

3. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I did it to a new EGW while prepping other parts for install on my Caspian build project. I held it up both pre and post relief and could see the benefit of not hitting the barrel lugs.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    My Miller Custom came with a beveled guide rod,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  5. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    That last one's a little more extreme than I've seen and it's almost what I did last night while in the lab experimenting...thanks for sharing.

6. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I noticed when I was working the GR in my carry gun last night, the same superb EGW piece as my project gun, that the relief on the two ears seems to keep it from impacting the frame rails, too.

7. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Whats the benefit of doing this?

8. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    lessened or no impact of the guide rod with the barrel feet and upper frame rails.

9. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    No offense, but I thought the purpose of the raised center at the rear of the rod was to keep the rod's flange a bit forward and away from the barrel feet?

Unless something has changed in the geometry among current 1911s, doesn't that center "nub" bear against the rear tunnel wall and create a space between the flange and barrel feet?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  10. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    i'll let someone else answer that, I'm just copying because it seems like a good idea and I can't leave well enough alone.

11. PYPER45

PYPER45 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    it should be beveled

12. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Why?

13. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

Hope this makes sense,......

14. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks, I now understand it's utility on Commanders. :thumb:

I'm afraid I was only thinking about Government Models. :frusty:

15. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    On the Taurus I just got back from Novaks ffor sights and refinishing I fired 100rds and it had a few had hundred prior to that, too. I field stripped it last night to have a look at the guide rod since the "why" question was asked. I should have taken a picture but the guide rod had some marks (battering on it), on the button from the barrel legs and the ears. Light contact marks but marks all the same.

Ill inspect it after the next 100 or so and see if that contact is eliminated.

16. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    It is really a matter of looking at each gun individually.
    I have found some 1911's that do not need to have the spring guide bevelled and some that do.
    Most do.
    Be careful to only take off exactly what is needed to give clearance.

17. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    I do this on every gun built here. It is to keep the guide rod from battering against the barrel legs and link. It should be done in a particular way so as to give a bit of a concave shape to the cut and it should be about half way up the back of the rod. And it should be finished smooth and not look like it was hacked on by a monkey with a belt grinder. ;)

If the barrel legs/link hit the guide rod during cycling it can cause malfunctions and loss of accuracy. Doing this mod prevents that from happening with this particular part.

18. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    Does anyone sell a gov. rod already with this done?

Thanks
    Mike

19. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
  20. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Jim Hoag of Canoga Park, CA, has done the same thing on all of his custom guns since about the mid '70's or so. I own one of his long slides done in about that timeframe and it was done on it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted