1911 holsters - too many?

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by billiardcue, Dec 23, 2011.

1. billiardcue

billiardcue Cue Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2011
    How many holsters is too many?

Gary Brommeland
    1911-5 2 f.jpg

Gary Brommeland
    1911-3 1.jpg

Phalanx
    phalanx 4.jpg

Milt Sparks
    milt sparks 4.jpg

Bolen Leather - Viet Nam era
    bolen leather.jpg

2. billiardcue

Sep 9, 2011
    Milt Sparks
    milt sparks 5.jpg

Don Hume
    don hume 5.jpg

Night Hawk
    night hawk 5.jpg

Mitch Rosen
    mitch rosen 3.jpg

mitch cornacchia likes this.

3. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    The question is, which is your favorite?

4. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    You can never have too many holsters. Each 1911 should have its own "closet". There are different styles, colors, and let's not forget exotics. 1911's love exotic holsters.

5. billiardcue

Sep 9, 2011
    The Brommeland Max-Con V holsters and the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. All three are super concealable and very comfortable - requirements one and two.

I wear the Sparks the most only because I prefer to carry the Kimber Pro Carry, I would just as soon wear the Brommeland and carry the Colt government if it wasn't so heavy. If I were to have a real custom pistol built it would be government size with an alloy frame.

I work at home and carry all day, every day - comfort is huge.

I play pool in front of a lot people two or three nights a week, bending over with a full frame 1911 - conceal ability is also huge.

If there are better IWB holsters than the above two, they must be pretty sporty.

The Milt Sparks Summer Special is a good holster, comfortable but doesn't conceal as well as the the above. I like the suede side out, looks and feels good.

I bought the Phalanx as an interim holster while waiting for the customs to be made. For $50 it is hard to beat and fits all three size guns and is fully adjustable.

The Mitch Rosen is a very nice, well made holster. With the Kimber Ultra Raptor's small size this OWB holster is easy to conceal with a shirt or jacket.

6. billiardcue

Sep 9, 2011
    Exotic skins are cool. I sell custom pool cue cases made with exotic skins.

Of all the cases I've had made with reptile and mammal (hair on and hair off) skins, nothing is nicer than hippopotamus. This would be my first choice for a custom exotic skin holster.

Hippopotamus hide is thick and tough but has a velvety texture on its outside, feels like silk. I was totally surprised the first time I had a hippo case, thought it it would be tough and course like elephant.

7. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    I have never worked with Hippo. Thanks a lot...now I am gonna have to pick some up.:rolleyes2: lol

8. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    You can never have too many holsters.

For 1911 I have, TT Gunleather, Kramer, Mitch Rosen, Nick Mathews, Safariland, Comp-Tac, Blade-Tech, Uncle Mikes, Acer, Bianchi, Rescomp, Ernie Hill.

9. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I currently have a Milt Sparks Summer Special II and a DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my SR1911. I like them both, but prefer the DeSantis. I had a Milt Sparks VM2 for a Glock 19/23 but honestly didn't care for it. Found the Cross Breed SuperTuck much more comfortable/concealable. Have been considering one for the SR1911 as a future purchase.

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Never have too many,......just picked up a brown VS II for a
    Springer Compact that I will not get back for about another 6-8 months.

11. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Grainfed has more holsters than TEXAS has cattle! :lol:

DAT85

william adams likes this.
  12. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Yep,..........he needs an inventory list just to remember what he has!

13. billiardcue

Sep 9, 2011
    Don't forget the magazine pouches.

Gary Brommeland
    mag_light 1.jpg

Gary Brommeland
    mag pouch f.jpg

Nighthawk
    night hawk mag 1.jpg

14. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    There was ONE cow left in Texas that I knew of. I ate it Christmas day....8 lb. beef tenderloin. Guess I'm off to try out Kydex..........

tw

15. ca survivor

ca survivor Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    I like how we get these beautiful holsters and we have to keep the concealed

16. Siouxfan

Siouxfan Well-Known Member

May 23, 2015
    when you want to sell the Sparks summer special let me know

17. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    Certainly not the few that you have. I have that many on-order to add to what I already own.

18. smokin aces

smokin aces Member

Jun 27, 2015
    I have never been able to find that perfect holster, seems there's all wayssome aspect about it thats wrong it looks good in the picture or in the package, the you get out there ware it all day and it either eating a hole in you, or it doesen't conceal the way you thought it would. I don't like my gun behind me. I like crossdraw or strong side forward of my hip bone. so i finally made my own holster, for my new RIA 31/2 inch. so far its working out great. I molded the leather to the gun for a secure fit. I cut the belt slots so the lowest part of the butt and the muzzle are on the same plane, that minimizes below the belt for great concealment and it places the grip right there, for a really fast draw. and when you sit your thigh fits into the space between the butt and muzzle very comfortable and just as easy to draw. and on your strong side in the same forward position. with the short barrel yuo have a fast draw holster the barrel already pointing down range. and is same comfort and access when sitting. now all i have to do is make the RIA reliable .

william adams likes this.
  19. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    When it comes to 1911 holsters, I'm a Brommeland Max Con V man.
    Tried a bunch and those are the ones for me. I have one for my full size 1911's and another for my Commander/CCO 1911's. :thumbs::thumbs:

20. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I don't carry inside the WB; for outside the Mitch Rosen 5JR fits perfectly with great concealment.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted