1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I’d really like to have a CCO sized 1911 or a Lightweight Commander. I thought I’d prefer it in 9mm, but I have seen and read postings and thoughts on how good the 38 Super is in a defensive pistol to potentially save your life or that of your family and friends.

I’m not very knowledgeable on the 38 Super. I don’t know how it would stack up against the modern 9mm carry rounds of today. I’m hoping to learn more about it from you all, I’m very confident that you all have much more knowledge than I’ll ever have in these matters.

So, if you were going to get a Commander or CCO sized 1911 to use for carry and you could have it in either caliber, which one would you pick and why?

If you all have made the choice, I’d like to hear about it and perhaps you all can add some pics to your posts. That would be much appreciated.
Thank you all for your help and time.
Larry

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think I would have to go 9mm Lots of guns chambered in this caliber . Ammo is cheap allowing more practice and there is a real good selection of defense ammo to choose from .

Plus if a disaster happens like is going on now 9mm ammo will be much easier to find than 38 super . just my 2 cents
Bought a RIA double stack 9mm in commander size gun ,17 rds totally reliable and one of the easiest guns to shoot well that I have ever had .

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
I believe there may be more PD ammo choices in 9x19.

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think one of the great things with the 9mm/.38 Super is the ability to have a barrel fitted for the other caliber. Buy the 9mm and have a .38 Super barrel fitted. Practice with the 9mm and carry .38 Super. You can hand load to get the most out of the .38 or look to some of the custom ammo markers who have some really hot .38. Not to mention with the .38 having a OAL close to the.45 you would have fewer feed issues with that round. And like it or not some 9mm 1911's can sometimes be a bit finicky with what ammo they like.
Having a 2 caliber gun can be nice. And during the last ammo shortage I still saw .38 ammo on the shelves of my favorite local gun store.

YMMV

·
Banned
170 Posts
I like the Colt LW Commander XSE for carry, though a dehorn is mandatory. I have always like the Kimber Pro Carry II HD, though it is all steel and heavy, and I don't like Kimber.
Maybe some Kimberphiles know if they make any lightweights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Personally i run my 1911s in .45 and my glocks in 9mm. If you are set with 9mm/.38 super id choose 9mm. Theres nothing wrong with it and its more accessible and cheaper. You’ll save money in the long run and everything is easier..mags, ammo, resale etc

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Normally I’d say just go with 9mm just a tad more mainstream, but with the latest run on ammunition and all the current first time gun buyers. Hmm?

It’s more about Options! Today’s times more so! Op, do you reload? If you do go 38s. there’s a few lengthy threads with great info on the Virtues of the 38s. Great round that lends itself to go from mild to wow with reloading. A pistol that would cover both 38s and 9mm with a barrel/Top-end swap is even more of a good thing.

I’m thinking you could put your hands on bulk 38s easier today then 9mm?

Just did a quick search it appears 38s appears to be available?
16.00-25.00 a box plus shipping. This is mostly ball and not PD.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
As said before 38 supurb if you reload, 9 if you don't
And you can't be afraid to use your reloads for EDC if SHTF.

I've gone mostly 9mm cause it's easy and simple. i.e. biggest reason FWIW

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hi,
Admittedly, I'm a 45 Fan, but...
Is there that much ballistic difference between the modern 9mm and 38 Super today???

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi,
Is there that much ballistic difference between the modern 9mm and 38 Super today???
Lets say 100 fps but Im in the camp of practice ammo being half the price while defense ammo has twice the selection .
I carry a 45 and use 9mm for recreation but if necessary I could load my Rock with 17 rounds of federal 147gr HST and feel very confident that I was not at some terrible disadvantage LOL

If SHTF downed attackers would very likely have 9mm ammo you could pirate and continue defending yourself if you ran dry .

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Hi,
Check out Underwood ammo for the answer as they load both very hot. I’ve shot some Atlanta Arms 124 grain Super ammo at 1380 FPS and it is hot indeed. I don’t think safe 9mm loads truly approach it. With handgun ammo, 100-150 FPS makes a difference

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Check out Underwood ammo for the answer as they load both very hot. I’ve shot some Atlanta Arms 124 grain Super ammo at 1380 FPS and it is hot indeed. I don’t think safe 9mm loads truly approach it. With handgun ammo, 100-150 FPS makes a difference
A note to others. Please do not shoot ammo like stated above unless you know what you’re doing. Shooting ammo like that in a gun that can not handle it can be dangerous and lead to catastrophic failure. Your gun needs a fully supported/ramped barrel and the proper springs to shoot 9mm in that pressure range.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I have 1911/2011’s in 9mm, 38Super, 9x23 Winchester (38S’s big brother), 40 Smith & Wesson, 10mm and 45 ACP. I shoot and carry 9mm by far the most with 9x23 and 38S after that. I keep 5k-10k 9mm rounds on hand for training and with modern 9mm ammo I feel confident of stopping any threats.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
A note to others. Please do not shoot ammo like stated above unless you know what you’re doing. Shooting ammo like that in a gun that can not handle it can be dangerous and lead to catastrophic failure. Your gun needs a fully supported/ramped barrel and the proper springs to shoot 9mm in that pressure range.
I believe he is talking about 38 Super here, the 124 Speer bonded from Atlanta Arms. I use it for SD and it is within allowable loads for 38 Super and runs great.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I should have specified that the Atlanta Arms ammo is 38 Super, not a 9mm load. My Supers both have ramped barrels and I would not use this frequently for a range load

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
With modern 9mm SD ammo there is really no good argument for 38 super other than “you” want it & want to reload for it.

As all the others have said 9 will always be easier & cheaper to find in any format you need & 9 is cheaper to reload with plenty of free brass to pick up.

In terms of resale, yes there’s a dedicated group of 38 super lovers in this forum today - outside this forum not so much, a year or two from now.. who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My bad. I was just waking up and misread the post. Atlanta Arms does make some hot “Major” rounds in 9mm around that velocity.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If you are buying practice ammo, you should get a 9mm; less expensive, more available... usually.

I reload and most of my defense gun practice is on a square range where I can easily recover my brass, so I would be OK with a .38.

Atlanta Arms 124 grain Super ammo at 1380 FPS and it is hot indeed.
Which is interesting because the original spec for .38 Super was a 130 at 1300.
Were they lying? Have the SAAMI members reduced their loads?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts