1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Does pre ban mean they can be shipped to NJ?
as far as I know a private citizen can.
Best bet for both buyer and seller is to re-read the statute.

If memory serves, unless there is actual proof that these are “pre ban” grips, they can’t be shipped out of the state in which they currently are.

Is this an asinine law? Absolutely, but it is what it is.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,451 Posts
Best bet is for a potential buyer and the seller to take this offline and have the conversation in private.

·
“Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude
541 Posts
BLUF: You can sell a pistol with ivory grips under the following conditions:

The pre-ban status can be proven with a receipt, also the shipment limit for worked ivory has a weight limit 200gms. That weight limit generally does not preclude very small pieces of art, knife/sword grips, pistol grips and carvings... that the ivory items can be under and still ship. Further, there is a provision for the ivory to be included with an item such as a piano that is being sold if it is integral to the item. Therefore the sale of a pistol with ivory grips is provisioned for assuming the following is also true. < I am not an attorney but looked into this extensively and received a legal opinion due to having several ivory grip'd items.>

o qualify for the de minimis exception, manufactured or handcrafted items must meet either (i) or (ii) and all of the criteria (iii) – (vii):

(i) If the item is located within the United States, the ivory was imported into the United States prior to January 18, 1990, or was imported into the United States under a Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) pre-Convention certificate with no limitation on its commercial use;

(ii) If the item is located outside the United States, the ivory was removed from the wild prior to February 26, 1976;

(iii) The ivory is a fixed or integral component or components of a larger manufactured or handcrafted item and is not in its current form the primary source of the value of the item, that is, the ivory does not account for more than 50 % of the value of the item;

(iv) The ivory is not raw;

(v) The manufactured or handcrafted item is not made wholly or primarily of ivory, that is, the ivory component or components do not account for more than 50 % of the item by volume;

(vi) The total weight of the ivory component or components is less than 200 grams; and

(vii) The item was manufactured or handcrafted before July 6, 2016.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Sold as part of the gun, interstate OK
Sold by itself, within State only. Preban or not.

Beautiful set by the way!
Bought quite a bit of Ivory since the ban. You are 100% correct...…. The statute does indicate how this works. You might have a problem with ivory grips on a RIA lol....:)

·
Deo Volente
8,394 Posts
7 Oz total weight. that is almost a half a pound. You all should note that the grips are for a gun with a magwell!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts