1911 Laundry List . . .

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by too_pure, Dec 6, 2011.

1. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I'm expecting to be getting a new-to-me 1911 soon - maybe this week, maybe next month - which will finally enable me to part with the one I have now long enough to get some more work done on it.

I had a trigger job and reliability work done by a local guy over the summer, and it is reliable and I like the trigger. Now I'm thinking of other stuff I couldn't afford back then.

The gun is a SA loaded.

1. 25/30 lpi machine checker front strap
    2. Refinish in Cerakote (or equivalent), 2 colors, one color on frame and slide and another on bushing, hammer, and trigger. I think the inside of the dust cover would have to be filed some because there is evidence of rubbing. And there is a small patch of minor surface rust under each grip panel.
    3. Replace staked front sight with a gold bead sight. I'll keep the Novak rear.
    4. Light dehorn, just break the sharp edges, nothing like a "melt" or anything.
    5. And finally there is a treatment that I have seen on other 5" 1911's and don't know what it's called, but I like it a lot. It's simply rounding off the MSH and grip so as to get rid of the sharp angle at the tail, not a bobtail, just rounding it off.
    That's in order of importance to me. Depending how fast it adds up I will drop things off the bottom of the list to get back into my budget.

I know a lot of guys only want to do bigger jobs, full builds, etc. But for anyone who'd take this on what kind of dollars would I be looking at for this stuff?

2. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    1. Between $150-300 depending on machine vs. hand and whether they include an undercut/
    2. $150-300 depending on who does it. I know some Parkerize underneath so that would be toward the higher price.
    3. I'd guess around $75-100
    4. $75-100
    5. A roundbutt, that's what it's called, around $65-100.

These prices should be pretty close based on my experiences.

3. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    I'd guess that would be about $600 or so. But that's just a random guess. I suggest contacting one of our resident smiths (Alchemy, Business, Chambers) and asking what their charge and turn around time would be.

4. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    most smiths have a price list on their site as well.

5. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
  6. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    With shipping both ways, my guess would be $1000 or just a little over.

7. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Yep. That's one I'm leaning toward. Only other contender is Robar mostly because it's about five miles from my house and I can just drop it off.

It looks like I'll need to limit it to the bead sight, refinish and checkering, though.

8. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    If you're going to pay for refinish, then you should get everything done that will affect the finish, ie checkering and de-horn, otherwise you'll pay for a new finish twice.

9. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I'll do the checkering, but probably skip the dehorn altogether. I find myself wanting checkering all the time. The dehorn and round butt are unnecessary on this gun. Nice to have. But I can live without it on this gun.

10. ontarget1911

ontarget1911 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    lobh

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted