1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I admittedly am COMPLETELY ignorant when it comes to 1911 parts etc. My wife has a beautiful Dan Wesson 9mm Discretion and one of her magazines busted recently. I want to get her a few more magazines anyway so if I understand correctly, MOST magazines for 1911 are universal in theory outside of the magazine capacity? There are many options but some are of course better than others. As I own a 2011 I know magazines can make or break your shooting experience. So just looking for some advice for 1 or 2 options with base plates. I know this is the place to get it! As always appreciate anyone's time for a response.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
For 9mm I use chip McCormick 38 super mags. Kinda depends on what baseplate look you like. Wilson's are ok but I dislike the flared baseplate on the etm mags.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,485 Posts

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
McCormick magazines are excellent, for 45 so are Wilson and Tripps

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
For 9mm I use chip McCormick 38 super mags. Kinda depends on what baseplate look you like. Wilson's are ok but I dislike the flared baseplate on the etm mags.
^^^^^ This, been using CMC mags since Chip brought out his first. Only 9mm mags that I've tried that load to capacity.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
For 9mm I have had some Wilsons that just did not work with my guns, whereas I have found that Chip's always run in by 9's and 45's so at this point when it comes to 9 I look for sales and get either Chip or Tripp mags.

·
Registered
1911’s and a few Glocks
20 Posts
IMO Wilson has best figured out how to do 9mm magazines in a firearm constructed around the 45 ACP cartridge. If one doesn’t like the flared or thick base pad (and with a gun w/o a feed well I don’t), a thin steel or aluminum base pad can be installed in place. Wilson used to sell them as 3-pack, but now want $$$ each on their WEB site. I just purchase 4 3-packs of untra thin aluminum base pads on eBay for under $10/pk. The same base pad works on 9mm. 45 ACP and other Wilson 1911 mags.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah but I want the plastic basepad like the 47d and the 47d pad won't work on the etm. The McCormick runs flawless too.

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
1,119 Posts
For Dan Wessons ... Always go Tripp Cobra magazines.... Some DWs are picky about Wilson mags.....

·
Registered
646 Posts
All, I admittedly am COMPLETELY ignorant when it comes to 1911 parts etc. My wife has a beautiful Dan Wesson 9mm Discretion and one of her magazines busted recently. I want to get her a few more magazines anyway so if I understand correctly, MOST magazines for 1911 are universal in theory outside of the magazine capacity? There are many options but some are of course better than others. As I own a 2011 I know magazines can make or break your shooting experience. So just looking for some advice for 1 or 2 options with base plates. I know this is the place to get it! As always appreciate anyone's time for a response.
Buy Mec-Gar 8 rounders. They are a premier mag company. Their stuff just works.

Plus they cost 1/2 of what the mags from some of the custom gun shops like Wilson cost.

Why pay more when you can get flawless mags from a leading manufacturer for less?

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Tripp’s, I also like CMC and then Wilson’s but Wilson now owns CMC. I don’t think they’ve made any changes yet but I don’t know that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts