1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so pardon me if this question has gotten play previously...

I always carry a full mag and a single reload. Specifically factory Colt SS mags with Shooting Star springs and +1 followers. I keep 4 in carry rotation, two for Weeks 1 and 3 of every month, and two for 2 and 4. The ones out of rotation are unloaded/relaxed for the week, every other week. I've had no malfunctions, and I use all 4 at the range. All the feed lips are good to go.

But these 4 mags have been with me longer than my present wife--a long time.

Under such non-constant compression, is there a rule of thumb for how long 1911 mag springs maintain dependable pressure? Should I be replacing springs every few years even though I've had no problems? It'd be a bummer if my first failure was my last.

Thanks

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
According to Virgil Tripp magazine springs wear out from using them so leaving them loaded or unloaded shouldn’t make a difference.

I have some Wilson 47Ds that have been loaded for 8 years and still work and lock back the slide so Virgil may be on to something.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
When they start to feel soft is when I replace my carry springs.
Competition springs when they feel soft or the last round loads with a sluggish feel.
Used to change them every year but now I have to many to change them all.
So I keep 5 in rotation for carry and have a practice set and a match set for competitions

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Real milspec 7x45 magazines have enormous spring reserve and have worked fine when found loaded for 50 years.

The Internet Wisdom is that cycling springs wears them more than leaving them compressed and that rotating or "resting" a magazine does it little good.
Yet the vendors will tell you to leave a new magazine loaded for a week to set the spring and make it work properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts