1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the thread title says, I'm basically a 1911 noob.

Bought a Rock Island 1911 last weekend and shot 300 rounds through it yesterday with no hiccups. Broke it down this morning to wipe it down and give it a little oil because I will be shooting it again this afternoon.

I go to put everything back together and I can't get the slide on the gun because the safety is stuck in the "on" position. It will not budge. I've tried releasing the hammer and no go.

Gotta be honest, I don't know what to do now or how to proceed.

Any help would be appreciated.

safety stuck 2.jpg saftey stuck 1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Push and hold the plunger spring in then push the safety down.
the plunger isn't what is keeping it from moving. I can press down the plunger (the little black thing in the photo?) but the safety still won't budge. It seems like it's somehow stuck internally. I don't know enough about 1911's to break it down any further without being able to put it back together.

Additional info: I can pull the trigger and the hammer will release from the cocked position but it will get stuck after it moves only a milimeter or two

·
Low capacity, low tech...
4,303 Posts
Push the plunger in and try to wiggle the TS up and down a little, and also try to pull it off and away from the frame. THe way it sits now, is the correct position on getting the TS off for a complete detail strip.

Plan B, take a 1/8 punch and remove the MSH retainer pin at the bottom of the grip. I'll be a little hard to punch thru, since the hammer is cocked. Once out, remove the MSH and that will let the hammer be tensionless. Thus it should be able to more freely, then you can work on removing the TS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It looks like the hammer isn't cocked all the way, cock the hammer all the way and try.

It looks like the 1/2 cocked hammer has things bound up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts