1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions or if it is even possible. I have a 1911 with a Bo-Mar rear sight. I am looking to replace it without changing the front sight to something that would sit more over the slide than overhang. Is there such a thing. I tried Brownells and had no luck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
That’s an atrocious sight installation. I can only assume that maybe they were going for a longer sight radius. I’m thinking a gunsmith would have to look at it and figure it what cut that is and then determine options from there. And whatever you do with the rear, that front will have to be modified or replaced.

·
Custom Pistolsmith
778 Posts
The pistol was set up for CMP Civilian Marksmanship Program matches. The idea was the added sight radius would provide a more precise aiming area at 50 yards. This was very popular in the "bullseye world and still is today. The sight can be inset into the slide. The front sight height is just right for the current set up but would have to be cut for a lower rear sight install like this:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Bunch of young whippersnappers.
That is a Bomar sight in the GI dovetail of a Bullseye target pistol 1960s style. Interesting to know if it was accurized beyond the adjustable sight and long aluminum trigger.

I do not know of a more stylish rear tall enough to zero the target front. Micro made very tall plain fixed sights but they have been out of business even longer than Bomar.

·
The Tinker
4,250 Posts
That is a Bomar sight in the GI dovetail of a Bullseye target pistol 1960s style. Interesting to know if it was accurized beyond the adjustable sight and long aluminum trigger.

I do not know of a more stylish rear tall enough to zero the target front. Micro made very tall plain fixed sights but they have been out of business even longer than Bomar.
You beat me to it. :)

I have only seen one other like this, and that one was reworked with an Aristocrat sight rib.

Reactions: gps man

·
Registered
300 Posts
That is a Bomar sight in the GI dovetail of a Bullseye target pistol 1960s style.
I knew that was common way of installing back in the day, but I didn't realize they used the existing sight cut. If that's the case, the OP has lot's of options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts