1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several Kimbers and Spingfields government models. What recoil springs do you folks recommend? I have over 2000 round count in all of them. No issues but thought I would get ahead of the maintenance game. I shoot medium reloads primarily.

I am trying to install a 22# spring in my Kimber Pro Carry, as recommended by Kimber and having a terrible time compressing it. May have to take it to my smith.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

·
We Are!
3,583 Posts
My .02 worth - I use 16-pound springs in my Government Model .45s. I use Wilson Combat as my source. FWIW, I also use Wilson’s extra-power firing pin return springs, and I change both out around every 2,000 rounds.

·
We Are!
3,583 Posts
Is the Pro Carry a 4-inch gun? If so, I’d ponder a 20-pound recoil spring for that...that’s what I’d use in a “true” Commander 4.25-inch 1911. I’ve not owned a 4-inch 1911, so my advice there could well be off-base.

Reactions: xerts1191

·
Fondle his Baer
338 Posts
What ammo do you shoot? 20lbs for a govt and most factory 230 but I would get 18-22lb springs and test. 16lb and under with reloads but with factory ammo, you may damage the gun. What guide rod are you using? Watch Wilson Combats video on assembly/disassembly. It should not be hard to assemble even with a 22lb.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Pro Carry by has a 4 inch barrel. The recall spring is compressed on a short rod. A Kimber takedown tool is required for disassembly. The new spring is 5 inches and a couple inches longer than the original. I watched a you tube video and the spring compressed pretty easy compared to my situation.

Maybe the spring is too long. The package says it is for a commander.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,516 Posts
The Pro Carry by has a 4 inch barrel. The recall spring is compressed on a short rod. A Kimber takedown tool is required for disassembly. The new spring is 5 inches and a couple inches longer than the original. I watched a you tube video and the spring compressed pretty easy compared to my situation.

Maybe the spring is too long. The package says it is for a commander.
I had a kimber pro and I took a 1/8” plate of steel and drilled a hole the size of the guide rod. I put the spring on the guide rod and compressed it as far as I could , then slipped the plate over the top of the spring guide rod to keep it from wiggling off . Push it down, insert the paper clip and it’s done.

If it says the spring is for a commander, that ain’t right . Call Wolff Springs to see what they recommend. Or better yet, just call kimber for a replacement.

And by the way, I don’t think it’s easy no matter what.

·
Registered
912 Posts
What ammo do you shoot? 20lbs for a govt and most factory 230 but I would get 18-22lb springs and test. 16lb and under with reloads but with factory ammo, you may damage the gun. What guide rod are you using? Watch Wilson Combats video on assembly/disassembly. It should not be hard to assemble even with a 22lb.
Sorry but I can't let this slip by!

I've been shooting 1911's since the 60's. Never heard:"20lbs for a govt and most factory 230 but I would get 18-22lb springs" Or "16lb and under with reloads but with factory ammo, you may damage the gun"

Please explain?

The standard set up for the 5" 1911 and factory or military 230 "ball" is 16# recoil and 23# main spring!
I've shot a zillion rounds in competition with a 15# recoil spring and 23# main and major power factor with no unusual battering or wear. Just sayin'

Smiles,

Reactions: Mike Meints

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I've been shooting 1911's since the 60's. Never heard:"20lbs for a govt and most factory 230 but I would get 18-22lb springs" Or "16lb and under with reloads but with factory ammo, you may damage the gun"

Please explain?

The standard set up for the 5" 1911 and factory or military 230 "ball" is 16# recoil and 23# main spring!
I've shot a zillion rounds in competition with a 15# recoil spring and 23# main and major power factor with no unusual battering or wear. Just sayin'

Smiles,
I called Kimber and explained the situation. The response was several years ago they went from a 22# spring to a 20#. A new spring is on it's way. Problem solved.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have several Kimbers and Spingfields government models. What recoil springs do you folks recommend? I have over 2000 round count in all of them. No issues but thought I would get ahead of the maintenance game. I shoot medium reloads primarily.

I am trying to install a 22# spring in my Kimber Pro Carry, as recommended by Kimber and having a terrible time compressing it. May have to take it to my smith.

I have had the same problem with a used Government Model I have. I don't know what poundage the spring is but it is a real bear to reassemble. Do you have some sort of padded vice you can put the pistol in? Then you will have two hands free to fight with the spring.
All that reassembly difficulty is what prompted me to start trying to learn about recoil springs, and what is really needed.

·
Fondle his Baer
338 Posts

Please explain?

Smiles,

So I guess your the most qualified here. Zillions of rounds thru a 1911? Out of those Zillions Have you ever done slow motion video of a gun under numerous springs? Again, my statement was a starting point as not all factory ammo is the same but the recommendation was solid. Factory competition ammo is now common. But for most factory and duty.

Guns get torn up by under power springs, 14-16 from testing is more along the lines of 45acp comp 165-170 power factor.

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts

I used 22lb springs in all my IPSC pistols years ago, but they saw heavy use. I also used Irv Sr recoil buffers, but they're no longer made by Jr. These days I use an 18lb spring. If you're going to change, try Wolf springs, they're really good.

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Please explain?

Smiles,
A zillion rounds? OK what load or factory ammo?

Back in the old IPSC days we were burning 2-3000 rounds a month and the ammo was a bit warmer than hardball. In a 5" tuned series 70, we used 20-22 lb springs and in my case I used the BarSto recoil buffers. It did keep the pistols from beating themselves to death and the lifespan of the pistols was better than normal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.