close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 refinishing

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Jim S., Sep 6, 2011.

1. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    I have a couple of 1911's that are ready to be refinished after all of the work I have done.
    There are so many choices of finishes and equally many places that do the refinishing.
    I am leaning toward simply re-parkerizing them because they are "military" styled and I just like the way a parkerized Mil-Spec looks.
    My question is where do I send them to?
    So many choices it is hard to say this one over that one.
    Anyone want to give me a suggestion and why?

2. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I know CCR does parkerizing and I have had them redo some slides in the past. Work was top notch and very fast. They are not the fastest with E-Mails but the work is great!

I do not know if Lou(Business End Customs) can do parkerizing or not but I would shoot an E-Mail and ask.

3. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
  4. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I really like the Cerakote look

5. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I will agree that I like a well done CeraKote/the other six thousand names better than most anything.

6. Texaspoff

Texaspoff They call me Tator

Aug 19, 2011
    I went with Melonite for my STI as it is going to be carried and used. I wanted something quite durable. Of course I haven't gotten it back yet, hopefully in another week or so. I sent mine to Berryhill customs. He is located no too far from me is why I went with him. There are numerous gunsmiths and companies that do refinishing. It really depends on what kind of durability you want, and what look you want. TXPO

7. Jim S.

Aug 25, 2011
    I know that parkerizing is not the best finish these days but it is nice on a military styled Mil-Spec.
    Ceramic is a good finish as are many others.
    That's part of the problem. Too many choices.
    So many places to send a gun to.
    I am giving this a lot of thought.

8. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I got some Rustoleum if you want me to do a "custom" job :grin:

9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Love the worn Rustoleum look on an AR15,.......this may be an idea with a 1911!

:rofl:

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Have you talked to Booty over on the enthusiast site? He does some good looking finishes.. Ron

11. WildBill

WildBill New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Hi everybody I am new to this forum and 1st. post here. My next 1911 finish is going to be Ion-Bond Finish wears tuff as a Diamond, rust proof and doesn't wear off. Ion-Bond goes into the metal, instead of a coating/paint or thick finish. Ion-Bond can be done to Steel and SS. It is not cheap to have a gun finished in Ion-Bond.

12. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Welcome, Bill.

If you're still researching different finishes, check out the other common options. Black-T is a viable finish, with great corrosion resistance. I've had good results with it.

Melonite's also a fine option.

Be wary of statements saying this or that finish is as tough as a diamond, rust proof, and doesn't wear off. No modern finish has all of these attributes.

Many of the members here have guns with the different finishes who can also chime in about their own experiences. :thumb:

Andy

13. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I've got a gun with Ion-Bond... it is certainly durable, however it is certainly not as tough as a diamond. It has already started to wear on places like the hammer after 250 rounds.

14. MY-1911

MY-1911 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Hey,WildBill. These day's it's not cheap to have any gun finished. No matter who you go with.

15. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    Tim Shufflin has parkerized 30-35 M1 Garands for me and I couldn't be happier. He parks both manganese and phosphate and really knows his business. Call him and talk about your project 517-896-0523, Tim is always ready to talk to customers. Feel free to tell him paid4c4 sent you.
    Bill

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  16. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I've used Ion-Bond for a long time. Since it's going into the metal, it really can't be compared to Black T etc. If coatings wear the gun will still rust, but Ion-Bond will still prevent rust, even when worn off edges and corners etc. Also, even when worn off, the hardness off IB still exist, since it's intergraded into the metal. Yes. I've tried to file exposed metal, and it'll ruin the file.
    The IB feels more like parkerizing to the touch, than the slick feel of most synthetic coats. It's kind of having a "black" gun in hard chrome.

17. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Ion-Bond. :thumb:

18. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Hit up Lou at Business End Customs and see what he has to offer...

19. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
  20. Jim S.

Aug 25, 2011
    I looked at the CCA web site and this finish looks very interesting.
    I am assuming that it is similiar to Ion Bond, and even like the hardening process that Glock uses on their slides.
    I like the fact that it is a "penetrating" process and not just a coating.
    I think I'll call them soon.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted