1911 safety off vs striker trigger

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Greg3458, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Is there really that big a difference in safety between the 1911 safety off and a striker fired pistol no safety? I am not suggesting a 1911 should be carried with the safety off!!!! But with both guns at the ready finger off the trigger, are you at anymore risk with a 1911 trigger at ~4lbs vs a striker fired trigger at ~5lbs from a practical standpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Your "question" is really a non-question considering the phrasing of your "question"

wrmiller likes this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    A common practice in the 1911 world is to toggle the safety off as soon as the gun is clear of your holster and body. The safety goes back on when you reholster.

The manual safety protects you when you're holstering the weapon and/or moving about. I see this as an advantage of the 1911 over the striker.

There is a reason why we now have the phrase "Glock leg" in our lexicon.

FWoo45, cgff, techiede and 5 others like this.
  4. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    EVEN if i hadn't disabled/pinned the grip safety on most every 1911 I own.. I don't think it would be a wise idea to carry any of them around cocked and not locked.

wrmiller and limbkiller like this.
  5. ArtsNCrash

ArtsNCrash Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Not that my opinion matters much but my thinking is how far you must pull the trigger on each. There is a big difference, no option for error on the 1911.

If you touch the trigger on a strike and it moves slightly, no problem. Big risk on holstering without the thumb Safety on the 1911.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Mike Meints and B81 like this.
  6. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    Not sure anyone comprehends these words within the OP...

It's like saying, "will the square rock spontaneously begin to roll on the absolutely flat dry lake bed with no force applied to it?"

wrmiller and ArtsNCrash like this.
  7. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    O... i mis-read , "at the ready finger off the trigger" I must be moving and or reloading? No one would be at any risk.. Unless it "just went off" . Which I have never witnessed.
    That's why we changed the phrase from AD to ND.

8. ArtsNCrash

ArtsNCrash Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Oh, I caught it. But if we have to describe the difference of "At the Ready" between the two then I'm on the wrong forum. ;-)

Honestly, most people I know and follow have the Thumb Safety off during the draw. There is no such thing as a "Thumb Safety" when the 1911 is in the hand. The "Safety" is in the Finger of the Holder.

Pardon the Alliteration.

Greg3458 likes this.
  9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    What exactly is ment by at "the ready"? Does the shooter already have the gun drawn and held in a ready position (e.g. a high ready), or is the gun still in the holster (e.g. the start of a shooting match).

If the gun is held in retention, and the shooter is not running or walking, then the safety need not be on. (I thought this was already common practice.)

If the gun is still holstered, then there is a tangible risk of an AD/ND if the thumb safety is off. (I think most competitions require the safety to be on when the gun is holstered. )

ArtsNCrash likes this.
  10. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Seems clear to me or is it your job to monitor sentence structure?

11. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Did someone suggest that?

12. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    That’s the difference isn’t it. Good point.

ArtsNCrash likes this.
  13. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    Just to monitor ridiculous hypotheses

14. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    At the ready is suggesting in a home defense scenario where you haven’t yet identified something you may want to stop. So maybe low ready is a better description. As In of the holster, gun pointed forward towards floor.

15. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    In that case, my understanding (for whatever that's worth) is that you don't need to have the thumb safety engaged. Trigger discipline is what matters most in that scenario.

ArtsNCrash and Greg3458 like this.
  16. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Well I appreciate the warm welcome and the valuable insight.

17. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Thanks. That’s where I had come out as well but I did have a “more experienced” 1911 shooter make a big deal about the acceptability of having a striker fired gun at the low ready with no safeties yet to keep the external safety in the safe position on a 1911 and only flick off just prior to shooting. Which is the source of my question.

18. ArtsNCrash

ArtsNCrash Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Ok. Now you've stepped in it. 'Cause that topic is rife with opinions on both sides. Truth told there is no "Correct" answer. It's what works for you. Train how you want and stick to it.

Safely On Much safer if moving around and you can't keep your finger off the trigger. Though this sounds easy enough and obvious, I see lots of people get disqualified at IDPA events for this. Without lots of training, it's easy to forget in the heat of the moment.

Safety Off No chance of forgetting the Safety when you need to make a snap shot.

Merits all around. Just train with your method. Don't assume you can do it. Muscle memory is your friend!

I train that the Safety comes off as I draw, Safery on just prior to holstering.

No Safety if gun is in hand but trigger finger on Slide. Trigger finger only moves to the trigger when I have a Sight Picture and a Clean Shot. If my finger is on the Trigger, I'm shooting.

Close Quarters within 6 feet is a different training method and not part of this discussion.

19. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    No I won't even consider that. I have taught myself to only engage the trigger when I am going to shoot. You are asking to be killed if you have to do more than just pull the trigger.
    In what situation can you consider adding more things to have to remember, when protecting your life?

When I am hunting Grouse, I do not have the safety on when I am expecting to shoot at a moments notice. When you are expecting to shoot in a split second to save your life. Do you really want to add removing the safety or racking the slide, to a very tense situation where you must engage a target that may shoot back?
    Think about all the things that will be going on in your mind.

20. ArtsNCrash

ArtsNCrash Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Ohhh... I'm not sure I'd do that but I get it. It's similar to the 1911 Micros that are built without grip safeties though operate, from the user's standpoint, identical to a full size 1911.

I still like my Grip Safety. But I like the ones with the large bump at the bottom for the positive engagement.

Of course I'm currently carrying an HK p2000sk LEM so obviously grip safeties are not paramount to me. (It was necessary due to size and where I was today. I normally carry a Commander 80% of the time and shoot a Government Model IDPA.)

I never said that even I follow my own standards and beliefs. This is why you should NEVER listen to me. ;-)

Greg3458 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted