1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been thinking, yes that’s a bad deal, right? What pistol has brought me the most enjoyment the last few years. I’ve had a few VERY expensive ones and really didn’t enjoy them as much as a moderately priced one.

I know it may not sound reasonable, but I believe the Alchemy Prime has been my favorite overall. It shoots as well as a pistol I owned that cost double of the Prime. The trigger of the Prime may just be a bit more crisp. The Alchemy certainly is as smooth shooting. The expensive build did have more fluff and buff.

The Prime checks all the “must have” boxes. It’s like a late sixties big block Chevelle, raw, brutal horse power with classic style and appeal.

Wood Fluid Font Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
my favorite is a deep river custom 9mm. he started the build with NHC frame and slide( tricut slide ). awesome build. best trigger of all the guns I own

·
Registered
760 Posts
So I’ve been thinking, yes that’s a bad deal, right? What pistol has brought me the most enjoyment the last few years. I’ve had a few VERY expensive ones and really didn’t enjoy them as much as a moderately priced one.

I know it may not sound reasonable, but I believe the Alchemy Prime has been my favorite overall. It shoots as well as a pistol I owned that cost double of the Prime. The trigger of the Prime may just be a bit more crisp. The Alchemy certainly is as smooth shooting. The expensive build did have more fluff and buff.

The Prime checks all the “must have” boxes. It’s like a late sixties big block Chevelle, raw, brutal horse power with classic style and appeal.

View attachment 1087499
‘Good to know. I’m thinking Alchemy may be next for me.

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,687 Posts

View attachment 1087499
What does it say about me that I am so happy with 360 that I have not considered by another 1911 in 2 years? I’m not even inclined to look.

I can foresee a time when I might send in one of my Mil Specs to get some custom work, but buy another nice one?

Maybe if ACW comes out with their version of the Professional.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I like my 2 ACW's as well as all my semi customs, but I think my favorites are still Ed Brown's. I know they dont build but a couple of standard models and the extra machine work is pricey....but they are still my favorite to pull out at the range. And I have one out getting a facelift and re-finish with another going to EB for some upgrades soon. The only 1911's I have spent extra $$ on to mod so far. Not that any are better than the others, but just what we as individuals like best, I think thats what makes this site so interesting is all of us sharing our loves.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
A blue'd Alchemy is a pretty decent value, by limiting what they do they keep ourselves from hurting ourselves :D

Start throwing in expensive finishes, flattened and serrated tops, French borders, serrated/checkered rear of slides and you add up the dollars quickly on a build that don't matter when you are pulling the trigger

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
A blue'd Alchemy is a pretty decent value, by limiting what they do they keep ourselves from hurting ourselves :D

Start throwing in expensive finishes, flattened and serrated tops, French borders, serrated/checkered rear of slides and you add up the dollars quickly on a build that don't matter when you are pulling the trigger
That dont matter?? Dont matter??!!
No you didnt......You, of all people!! LoL
But but but...all that stuff matters when I'm sitting at home holding it thinking about how beautiful it is!
But your right, none of that makes it shoot any better or make smaller groups. I sure like those frills and dressings though!

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
That dont matter?? Dont matter??!!
No you didnt......You, of all people!! LoL
But but but...all that stuff matters when I'm sitting at home holding it thinking about how beautiful it is!
I'm the first to admit I love all those things (in fact they are deal breakers), I don't own a Baer, GI or ACW simply because they are to utilitarian for me -- all three were some of my best shooters and the Baer maybe the best from a pure function and accuracy perspective.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
I will concur with you @Bender on how nice the Alchemy guns are. I have two now and really like them, impressed with them at the price.

Honestly if I was in my 20's today, starting down the 1911 rabbit hole........I couldnt send a gun to Chuck Rogers or any of the smiths that I would choose today based on my years of experience so it would be trying someone newer, building a reputation or going with a semi custom. The Alchemy gets you a lot of what you want and all you need! IF you ignore the different stylistic options that you wont get from Alchemy but would get from someone like Lou, Chuck, etc then you are probably getting a gun that is 90% of the gun of a custom build - that last 10% is what you really pay up for, wait years for and get from a build from a master smith in a one man shop & as Ive said before if you havent spent years shooting stock colts, baers, and higher semi custom guns that extra 10% you get from a master is wasted on you, you wont recognize or appreciate what they put into the gun.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
My goodness that’s a gorgeous ACW and makes me miss mine. I plan to own one again and plan it to be identical to yours.

The last one I sold was an amazing shooter but I didn’t care for the mag well or the flat trigger and it didn’t have ball cuts but it waseasily the most accurate 1911 I’ve ever shot.

Bender your photography skills are on point!!

·
The Tinker
4,740 Posts

View attachment 1087499
Nice pistola Sir! (y)

I enjoy shooting my semi-customs, because I built them the way I wanted them. Now if I could get Alchemy to build one configured the way I would want it, and if I could afford it (HUGE if...) I wouldn't mind having one. But I'm not sure I'd enjoy shooting it any more than I do mine. Yea, I'm weird... :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
32,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will concur with you @Bender on how nice the Alchemy guns are. I have two now and really like them, impressed with them at the price.

Honestly if I was in my 20's today, starting down the 1911 rabbit hole........I couldnt send a gun to Chuck Rogers or any of the smiths that I would choose today based on my years of experience so it would be trying someone newer, building a reputation or going with a semi custom. The Alchemy gets you a lot of what you want and all you need! IF you ignore the different stylistic options that you wont get from Alchemy but would get from someone like Lou, Chuck, etc then you are probably getting a gun that is 90% of the gun of a custom build - that last 10% is what you really pay up for, wait years for and get from a build from a master smith in a one man shop & as Ive said before if you havent spent years shooting stock colts, baers, and higher semi custom guns that extra 10% you get from a master is wasted on you, you wont recognize or appreciate what they put into the gun.
I hear what you’re saying. I’ve owned a Rogers. I sent in a lightweight compact Springer. It was a wonderful pistol. It was simply a bad choice for ME to have used as a base gun. I didn’t like the size or the balance of the lightweight frame.

Chuck and I don’t get along very well these days. I believe it may be due to me selling that pistol that he poured his heart and soul into. I wish I had sent in a Colt Commander for the build. It’s my fault that the friendship was fractured, it was not intentional, I didn’t expect the outcome of the sale.

The expensive pistol I spoke of in the 1st post was the Triple Crown I owned. For me, it was just too nice and valuable to enjoy. I couldn’t carry it because of the cost. A wonderful build, an amazing shooter.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts

yea but that kinda discounts a large part of what the 1911 Hobby is and it is a hobby
As much as a sport and as much as protection

I know I’ve said it before but bears repeating a timex will always keep time as well as a patek or Rolex
But that really doesn’t matter

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Talking about hitting the nail on the head.... Bender has driven that 16 penny straight & deep. (carpenter talk for 16d nails)
The ACW Prime & Prime Elite are true 60s muscle guns. Owning a couple of them and having owned a couple of late 60's Big Block Chevelles. The comparison is right on.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts