1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had a slide get stuck out of battery with a hot round in the chamber ? I had the pleasure today and it was not fun ! Had to take the bushing , plug and spring out while the round was in the pistol! 馃槦 That was not giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling .

I had shot about 9 rounds had good grouping with my Wc Vickers elite and had an FTRB tapped the rear and that usually does it when this happens ( never had this happen with this pistol) but no go . Tried the tap rack no go , slide was stuck and I mean stuck it was crazy .
Fired the round into an outdoor berm as I got it to chamber but still could not unlock the slide with that round in there. Once round went down range gun opened and I put 100 rounds down range ( after disassembly and inspection) no hiccups .

My thoughts are the OAL was too long and the projectile got jammed on the rifling during inertia feed and extractor claw was holding case rim so it had no where to give .

It was sketchy and a real biatch to get free
Ammo was Norma 115 grn 9mm red box shot 1000s of rounds and never an issue .
thoughts ? Anyone have this happen ?

Registered
How could you fire a round into a berm but still have a live round in the chamber as you broke down the gun 馃

Anyway, sounds like a badly sized round got in the mix.

Reactions: Dwvalor

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How could you fire a round into a berm but still have a live round in the chamber as you broke down the gun 馃

Anyway, sounds like a badly sized round got in the mix.
I removed the spring, plug and bushing tried to pull the slide back enough to remove slide stop could not , gave it a little jiggle re assembled and got the action to close but it would not go to the rear position (fully open) to get the round out so I closed it up and pulled the trigger in a safe direction (berm) . Sorry probably didnt explain that too well in the OP .
I went back inside indoor range completely broke the pistol down and inspected it saw nothing wrong action ran fine . Proceeded to run drills with another 100 rounds of ammo without a hitch . 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
I have had the same issue once in my life. Troubling at best to get it cleared.

Reactions: Dwvalor

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for that

Did you figure out the cause of the jam?
No worries I do believe it was a round manufactured by Norma that had an incorrect overall length .
I pulled a few out this morning and found a couple that didnt pass the plunk test 馃 that is concerning as I just ordered another 1k of 9mm
After this next case is used up I am done with them . I have shot probably 7-8k rounds of red box Norma without a problem but this last batch I got appears to be trouble.
Blazer for me moving forward

Registered
I had this issue with Magtech. It resulted in a terrible locked slide.

Gas Adhesive Jewellery Household hardware Foil

Household hardware Cylinder Gas Auto part Machine

• Sad
Reactions: Lisa93

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Registered
I've actually been having this happen several times to my 9mm's since I have started shooting my dad's reloads. The problem is not all rounds passed the "plunk" test in my chamber (found this out later AFTER my lockups). I am not sure exactly what is causing some of the reloads to not chamber , I know his reloads have some OAL variation but maybe the mouth diameter is off too? Don't know enough about my reloads to be sure. I do know that my 9mm with a reamed chamber eats all of the reloads where as my RO Elite with factory chamber will not.

But the first time this happened I didn't know what to do and had a RSO (big guy!) show me a technique where you firmly grasp the slide over hand, and jam the web of your other hand into the back of the grip several times until the slide unlocks - I tried this and it did not go well for me (smashed something on my index)... So now what I do is try to rack it several times holding the slide with one hand and the frame with the other hand and if that doesn't unlock it, then I grasp the rear sights with and over hand grip and push apart the frame and slide in a gripping motion at the rear of the gun (kind of hard to explain). This worked last time at the range.

If that fails, I do what you described and take the gun apart and worse case pry the bullet out of the chamber with the barrel removed from the gun. Really sucks when this happens but I now check all my reloads via the plunk test ahead of time (typically this is something you do already if you have your barrel with you when you are at your relaoding bench - but that's not the case for me).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curiosity got the best of me so I went back to the range this morning with the Wilson combat Vickers Elite and my Dan Wesson 5 inch Valor 9mm
I brought a box of Winchester white box 9 mm 115 grn and a box of Norma 115 grn some of the norma was slightly taller than the Winchester and I did have one instance where the norma locked up the Dan Wesson just out of battery nowhere as severe as yesterday and I was able to break it free without too much trouble this is definitely concerning and enough to put me off norma ammunition for good I have been using it for a couple of years and never had an incident but this last batch I got seems to be very poor quality control
At least today I didn鈥檛 have any ass puckering moments 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is another reason to reload right now it isn鈥檛 cost-effective for 9 mm but with 45s I manufacture the load for the barrel that I鈥檓 going to be shooting them through run the plunk test and then check the overall length of every cartridge as it goes into my box . I have never had a slide lock up on one of my reloads 馃憤

I stopped purchasing from freedom munitions because a year or two ago I bought 1000 rounds of 9 mm and half of them were the size of a 380 馃槼You could push the projectile right into the case I was getting tons of malfunctions.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts