1911 smithin' DVD's

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by sawman556, May 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    So there is a thread on 1911 books. But how about DVD's? Is there any quality DVD's out there that show you how to fit a thumb safety, fit a firing pin stop, fit/tune an extractor etc.??? It would be nice to find a DVD that covers it all. Thoughts?

Bloodhound likes this.
  2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    In for the information...
    Something like this would be very helpful to a guy like myself, that hits the pause button (often) on YouTube 1911 "how to" videos!

Al414 likes this.

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    WC has several online videos.' Not sure if they make a dvd set. AGI offers video series.

boatdoc, Uncle Bob and Bloodhound like this.
  4. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    There is also a website I think might be connected some how to Brownells.

Rifleshooter.Com

They have a lot of tutorials, not video but there is some pretty good stuff in there. Just do a search for 1911 in their search bar.

5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Be very careful with youtube videos. There are some really bad and dangerous ones.

6. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    You sure got that right lol. Watched one for giggles the other day. Forget now what the guy was even working on, I just remember he must of said oops about 30 times lol. I would've been too embarrassed to even post the video lol

boatdoc and sawman556 like this.
  7. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
  8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Roger that!
    I am usually pretty good at avoiding them. I enjoy watching Hilton Yam's videos, along with Hackathorn, Wilson, and a few others...
    I enjoy some of the DIY guys too, Mosin Virus comes to mind.
    Like anything else, there is a lot of great info out there, and equal amount of complete horsesh*t! LOL Thanks for the info, great thread OP!

azpoolguy likes this.
  9. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    +1. I have enjoyed the 10-8 stuff and Wilson’s. Mosin Virus is an awesome DIY smith.

Bloodhound likes this.
  10. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Steve, Brownells supports various forums by putting ads on them. They get a cut based of the sales that come from the ads on each forum directly. They have no direct connection.

11. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Mosin is dangerous.

12. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Most dangerous videos I've seen are some of the "trigger jobs" it goes well beyond cringe... anyone that wants to do tooling/milling on a cheapo Harbor Frieght Chinese unit..... please stay at least a state away from me.

13. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
  14. OldCuz

OldCuz So, I held this 1911 and then.... Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    I too would like to learn more about 1911's. I suppose I should start doing some research and studying. I recently dropped off a couple of 1911's at a local gunsmith. One, a DW Kodiak is getting a flat trigger, slide stop and a single sided safety. I wasn't sure about the safety especially. As I'm told it will require fitting. The other is a Guncrafter NN. It's getting a flat trigger and a Battle Crown bushing. The bushing is going to require fitting. I'm not comfortable with doing this. It's going to cost $300 for both pistols combined. Worth it to me to have done right.
    Eventually I would like to be able to do this kind of work myself. As I think it's going to be a regular thing.

15. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Hi Powers are easy. First Browning pistol I worked on

16. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Strong suggestion, take a class from a notable source. Then get a Gem Frame, someone's slide, etc etc and have your first project build, so if you bugger something, it won't be on a DW or Colt or whatever.

17. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    like this one?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted