1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have I missed something? Why does Colt, Kimber, Ruger and others not offering more or in some cases one or two models with barrels threaded for suppression? Not talking about custom/high dollar so much.
I think Dan Wesson has three, one is the Vigil Suppression Ready, it's asking price seems a little high to me. Don't really want a full size with a rail, prefer Commander size, Round/Bobtail, stainless, threaded, 9mm would be nice.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I gotta think it's just an appeal thing. I'm waiting on a Dan Wesson A2 Commander with Smith fitted threaded barrel to come back but it will more than likely be my only threaded 1911. That said nearly all of my other plastics (CZ, Glock, Beretta) are suppressor ready and all have been good host. I'm guessing and just my opinion that most who favor or like the 1911 platform are purist and aren't nearly as interested in toting a can. Curious to hear other thoughts because the market place does seem to. Be growing for that segment.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
OP, do you just like shooting bobtailed commanders or are planning to carry the suppressor around? Might be hard to find a holster for it and the paperwork

·
Registered
523 Posts
My HD pistol is a colt m45a1. I would love to get a threaded barrel for it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I wonder if 1911’s are hard to suppress due to lockup/timing. I know handguns are much pickier than rifles when suppressing for that very reason.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll be sending my EB Special Forces in to have a threaded barrel fitted for it this week. I actually just bought the service package to have it shipped for that and a couple other minor upgrades earlier today. It'll be mostly for kicks and giggles, but I figure $325 for a factory threaded barrel to mount my Octane 45 is a low enough number to do it just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Been there, done that.....this was before I installed higher sights to see over the can.
Octane 45.jpg

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP, do you just like shooting bobtailed commanders or are planning to carry the suppressor around? Might be hard to find a holster for it and the paperwork

NOT going to be carrying around a suppressed pistol. It wouldn't have to be bobtailed. My idea is a commander threaded in 9mm to save a little weight. Already have the suppressor. Bought a Kimber TLE Pro (TFS) 45acp awhile back. Love to have same in 9mm.
TLE & MK III Suppressed.jpg

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I gotta think it's just an appeal thing. I'm waiting on a Dan Wesson A2 Commander with Smith fitted threaded barrel to come back but it will more than likely be my only threaded 1911. That said nearly all of my other plastics (CZ, Glock, Beretta) are suppressor ready and all have been good host. I'm guessing and just my opinion that most who favor or like the 1911 platform are purist and aren't nearly as interested in toting a can. Curious to hear other thoughts because the market place does seem to. Be growing for that segment.
No, I'm not interested in the plastics even if they are threaded.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gun fan111, Thanks but don't want a rail, not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Colt, Kimber and ruger are not even on the same playing field as Dan Wesson that being said i dont know that there is a significant enough market to entice some of the manufacturers to go that route.
Yes, Colt, Kimber, and Ruger use carbon steel and investment grade cast to build their 1911s and DW uses tooled steel and stainless that will gaul like nobodies business.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I grabbed a Storm Lake 9mm barrel for my STI Trojan with the appropriate ramp style. It was $125 shipped with link and bushing. Not a precision fit barrel, but got the job done.

I'll likely always swap to the standard barrel for matches, where any accuracy and POI shift would be noticeable. I'm good with having a two barrel solution for hosts.

That gun is freaky quiet and reliable with a can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts