1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1912 Colt 1911 C4XX

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Edwin Phillips 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share some history... I don't think it had been field stripped in decades, I coated it with oil inside and out, but do have some rust inside to clean up. Trying to identify all of the various markings to see if its all original.
Gun Yellow Firearm Photograph Trigger

See less See more
#5 ·
Still getting the hang of editing the file size of the pictures. Should I just post these as thumbnails? Also sorry about the quality, I tried outside and inside, but couldn't seem to get good lighting. For me, it was exciting to fully disassemble this 1911 since it is such an early issue and my common 1911's are Kimber and Sig. The only area that I found any significant rust is in the bowtie cut area.

#11 ·
Just wanted to share some history... I don't think it had been field stripped in decades, I coated it with oil inside and out, but do have some rust inside to clean up. Trying to identify all of the various markings to see if its all original.
View attachment 375395
Some issues....
Your small parts should be Nitre Blue just like your slide stop, parts that should be Nitre are Grip screws, thumb safety, trigger, hammer, mag catch, hammer pin, ..also your retaining pins for the hammer and safety.. also a keyhole mag and thin head grip screws should be part of the package... M1911info has some nice photos..

#12 ·
Colt did not use niter blue on the early pistols. The small parts mentioned were blued using the same heated mixture of bone and charcoal used to blue the major parts , but in cast iron pots. The early small parts were brought to a mirror bright polish, resulting in the mirror bright finish after bluing.

#14 ·
Thanks for the comments. I'm still just cleaning it up and trying not to mess with the patina. It doesn't bother me if some parts have been swapped, but it is interesting to try and match up parts off sites like M1911. I'll get a good coat of Renaissance Wax on it inside and out once I get it thoroughly clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.