1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently traded for a 1914 Springfield 1911 the problem is that it's been plated and some of it is worn off and they also thought it was a good idea to sand off the marking on the slide except the pat dates and proof marks and slide shows holster wear is it worth restoring or just leave it alone

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Welcome to the maddness but I will warn you now.....These folks are gonna be demanding pictures if you want their advice....Just sayin.

Karsten

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,556 Posts
99.jpg

Reactions: Mike A

·
just one more
656 Posts
I'd say 95+% of the value of that pistol is in shooting it. Looks nickel plated which will require a full strip and retreat of your choosing, which will likely be fairly expensive. I'd shoot it as is and not worry about it at this point. Others with much more expertise will be along shortly I'm sure.

·
Registered
319 Posts
At this point it would cost way more to restore it than it would ever be worth. Removing the markings removed a lot of metal. For a restoration you would want original grips, and barrel probably not original.

Just keep oil on it and the worn areas shouldn't get any worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok
At this point it would cost way more to restore it than it would ever be worth. Removing the markings removed a lot of metal. For a restoration you would want original grips, and barrel probably not original.

Just keep oil on it and the worn areas shouldn't get any worse.
Thanks for the advice I'll oil it up real good and just let it be part of it's history

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Welcome from western NC.

It's like my 2nd 1918, a great old Tackle Box Gun.
A proud honor to be Mikes TBG, she says :happy:.
Shes getting a brand new 1911 frame. Tell me, how we will do crazy things to our 1911s.
Yes this is the TBG, the new frame costs more than the whole 1918 did :joyful:.
022 (2).JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Might just do some engraving and replate it not sure what I'll do with it yet just nice to have something with a little history behind it

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Only part I haven't found the s is the barrel and bushing probably got changed out and the mag everything else matches
It's a 1914 Springfield Armory 1911 :happy: that alone makes me a very happy lad indeed.
Just be happy you have it, you will soon see they are becoming rare & very $$.
Parts we do not want to go there, :eek: it's getting very hard to find Military surplus 1911 parts
4 good prices.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A little optimistic on the number made. A tad under 26,000 were manufactured. The finish was rust blue, so maybe his had been refinished.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts