1916 Springfield Armory

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Zaugau, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I had been on the hunt for a decent 1911 from the original Springfield US arsenal for quite a while now. Sometimes I got distracted by other things, but I renewed my search and now the hunt is over. I had wanted at least the matching frame/slide, barrel, and one of the original Springfield magazines. This one looks most if not all correct, although I haven't taken it all apart. Not sure if it's from 1915 or 1916. Coolgunsite says 1916, but my small Clawson book indicates 1916 shipments starting at serial 120201.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There is a serif P on the side of the other barrel lug.
    [​IMG]
    I think the bluing actually looks a little better in these pics than it does in person. It's got some browning, finish looks maybe 50% or so. It also came with a 1918 dated holster in decent shape.
    [​IMG]

2. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Hot dang . . . . .

Mike A likes this.

3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    It's a great feeling to handle the real deal. HUH? :)
    My 13, 15, & 17, 1911s are all examples of the wonderful
    design of the worlds greatest pistol. All 3 are Colts.
    They give me a great feeling of what it must have been like when John Moses Browning was alive. I have often felt that I was born too late in history. :(

I also have a 20 round box of .45 acp cartridges made in 1912 with
    Cupro Nickel jacketed bullets loaded with Bullseye powder.
    Bought it for $5.00 back 30 years ago. Wonder what it's
    worth today :).

Enjoy it & shoot it you won't break it. After all it was built
    to go to war & defend American GIs. I see the staple on your Mag.
    Is it a two tone Magazine??

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  4. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I like those old mil-guns! Yours is in great shape with some honest wear. I have Colts from '17 and '18, but as you know those SÁ guns are much harder to find!!!

5. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Yup, some honest wear, plus maybe some wear from being stored in the holster. This is my second old USGI 1911, the other being a 1915 Colt. And yup Mike A as you mention it there's something about these old ones back from when JMB was alive and still at it.
    I might put a couple rounds through this one sometime.
    Yes it is a 2-tone magazine, and has the sides folded over the bottom, characteristic of Springfield mags.

Mike A and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
  7. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Looks like it is all original even down to the barrel and mag. If you have another .45 shoot it. Springfield parts are almost impossible to find, and they do break. That's the reason the military had so many spare parts.

8. CMMDude

CMMDude New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    I've got an all-original 1916 Springfield with the NRA marking. It's a beauty. It has the same leather holster that Zagau posted.

Attached Files:

Mike A likes this.
  9. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Very nice, yours indeed is a beauty. Wish mine had the NRA mark, that's a nice bonus and gives it a cool extra little bit of history.

Welcome to the forum!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted