1918 production year

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Tross, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Tross

Tross New Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I have a 1911 that I'm trying to find some history or information on. Also wondering if I should have it restored or left as is. I do know it was manufactured in 1918 and that is about all I have been able to find out. I would also like to know if it has all the original parts. Any reference material on it would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015

3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
  4. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Got that Deadpool patina... do not refinish it.

5. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I’m not liking that serial number with the odd 77 ending. Also, it is absent the United States Property frame marking of a 1911 war time frame. Still nice patina and vintage piece.
    That 1918 shipment allotment had a total of 319,746 pieces of Colt 1911s. The largest of all production prior to the A1 modification series. And also the most copied and fraud pieces because of that high run quantity.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  6. Tross

Tross New Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I have wondered about the 77 on the serial number myself and the Property designator missing. I just don't have enough knowledge about this old of a gun. I also think that the grips are incorrect. I only got 1 magazine with it and I know that is not the correct year. I guess I should take it apart and see if I can find out anything else about it.

7. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    @Tross
    The grip panels Are plastic A1 style. Used on post 1924 production. That should have checkered wood with diamonds to be period correct.
    The only mark I see that leans toward Government is on the left side frame above the mag release. Appears to be an eagles head with a S and a number (not legible). If you break it down there should also be a letter stamp around the disconnector hole.

8. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Serial number is legit. All were not stamped perfectly. Looks like it has been sandblasted rather than rusted (maybe to remove USP). You would have more money in a restoration than the pistol would be worth when restored.

9. FrankG

FrankG Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 24, 2018
    As others have said, leave as is...

10. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    The roll marks on the slide and the serial stamping are still in very good legible condition. I don’t believe the gun has been reconditioned, refinished or sand blasted. The pitting appears to be caused by a natural wet moist fairly even extended time environment.
    As stated, leave it be and just clean it up with some penetrating oil and maybe some fine bronze wool. Some replacement period correct grips new springs and go shoot it.

11. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Look at the enlarged version of the left side that shows the patent dates. You can see the irregular shapes of the blasting media plainly, not smooth rust pits.

12. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I like it just the way it is. :)

13. Clem

Clem Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Beauty as it is :)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted