1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1943 Colt - How did I do?

3K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  S/C-HD2002 
#1 ·
So a regular at my work told me he had his father's service pistol from when he served in WW2, and because he didn't have any family who he could pass it on to who would appreciate it, he decided that he wanted to sell it. I expressed some interest and he brought it in today. He claimed all original but I could tell right off the bat that it had a post war government contract barrel from 1990.

My interest waned but after looking over the pistol, it appeared to my laymen eye that it was otherwise original. The finish is pretty fantastic, so I was skeptical it was rearsenaled, but I couldn't find any evidence of that having been the case. The gun is dirty, but the feed ramp appeared to be in the white / not parked which I believe suggests it's more likely to be in original condition. The slide is not serialized underneath of the firing pin retainer plate, which seems correct given the serial number on the frame being late 43.

The magazine has zero markings so I'll assume it's not matching to the gun at all, but other than the magazine and barrel can anyone tell me if this is an otherwise matching and original? I am a complete novice when it comes to historical 1911s. I respect the man so I didn't want to low-ball him, so I doubt I got a screaming deal or anything. Any thoughts on it's value, and if it would be worth sourcing a period correct barrel? He said he was going to speak with his mother and see if she potentially has the original barrel, but I'm not holding my breath.

Grey Composite material Wood Automotive exterior Metal

Hood Textile Beige Grey Wood

Camera lens Communication Device Camera Cameras & optics Camera accessory

Communication Device Bicycle part Gadget Automotive exterior Carbon

Tints and shades Wood Auto part Metal Rim

Hand Netbook Musical instrument Gesture Office equipment

Hand Air gun Finger Trigger Gun barrel

See less See more
#8 ·
Anything re-arsenaled $1100-$1300, that's what CMP is getting, an original, in that shape would be closer to $2500-$2700. Now the barrel is an issue, they used to be had all over the place for cheap, but those days are gone. I would say with a non stock barrel, $1900. Also look under those grips, they seem to have some issue under there,

#9 ·
Are you referring to the green on the grips? That's some brass oxidation from the holster it was in.

I'm going to tear it down and give it a thorough cleaning and will inspect further if there is something I'm missing.

I paid a couple hundred less than that so I feel like we both got a fair price.

#10 ·
Yes I meant that green , I've dealt with a few pistol left in holsters way too long so I am all too aware what that green muck is, I wish I didn't but coming from the north east it's a fact of life especially next to the ocean. But I was also concerned about the front edge of the grip in picture #1. Also I agree it's always a good idea to completely take it apart and soak everything and re assemble. heck I do that with new guns. I really love my '44 Remington Rand, while it's not in my regular shooting rotation, or carry rotation, I do shoot it at the range a few times a year.

#11 ·
Nice looking gun. I have my suspicions that it is not his issued gun from ww2 , but “ just like” the one he was issued. The late production replacement barrel is a huge red flag. Having said that, many WW2 era barrels got ratted out from use with corrosive priming ( NOT worn out from shooting)
eitehr way nice gun. Replacement barrel not withstanding

#13 ·
Nice looking gun. I have my suspicions that it is not his issued gun from ww2 , but “ just like” the one he was issued. The late production replacement barrel is a huge red flag. Having said that, many WW2 era barrels got ratted out from use with corrosive priming ( NOT worn out from shooting)
eitehr way nice gun. Replacement barrel not withstanding
It's possible but I trust this man and he said his father told him it was the specific pistol he carried. It's a 1943 production serial number, and he replaced the barrel several decades later. Other than the barrel being replaced, why the skepticism? Genuinely would like to know.

#14 ·
@Madcap_Magician , Oh I get it, but the gun market is down right now, I see them asking $3000-$3500 at local gun shows, there is interest , but at the end of the show they seem to go home with the sellers. Look at the prices Wilson Combats and Ed Browns are going for in our classified section. So what do you value #1 his gun at, and #2 one in good-very good shape?

#18 ·
@Ironroots , You know I never include my '44 Remington Rand 1911A1 in my list of favorite 1911s as I said It's not in my rotation, but come to think of it, It's probably on of the last pistols I'll ever sell. I really wish I bought a spare slide for it when they were available and cheap, I would probably shoot it more. Have fun with it, nice gun, good price.

#23 · (Edited)
Thats a nice looking gun. Coolgunsite.com is a good resource if you are trying to find out about its originality. I've been down the same rabbit hole recently with a Remington-Rand. Lots of back and forth on multiple forums trying to find reliable sources of information. There are some very knowledgeable members here. Check out www.M1911info.com. The owner of the website is a member here and is a very highly regarded collector. He can answer beyond a doubt any questions you have. I am currently trying to authenticate this RR and for me the price of a letter from an in-hand inspection by an acknowledged expert is money well spent. It will be going away for inspection soon.

I hope you enjoy both the research and the gun as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Air gun Grey Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory

#29 ·
Although the finish might be original, the pistol might went through unit level armor for some TLC and barrel replacement etc. that may not have the extensive parts replacement or rebuild marks found on Arsenal level rebuilt. The tell-tale sign of that is the sharp corner cut at the front dust cover which was normally noted on the pistols went through some TLC, not done at Colt factory.
Hood Automotive tire Font Rectangle Plant

#32 ·
As noted earlier, the pistol is totally original with the exception of the replaced barrel, which the previous owner could have done at any time. A correct type barrel might take a while, but worth finding.

I would be interested in documentation that unit level armorers filed the front of the receivers of pistols they rebuilt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.