close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1943 USGI Colt 1911A1 Military Match Pistol

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Tackleberry, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Well guys, I just received a letter from Colt Archives in regard to the pistol below. The pistol is serial number 8871XX. It was sold to the U.S. Government and shipped to the Transportation Officer, Springfield Armory, Springfield, MA, For: Commanding Officer on February 18, 1943. It is part of Colt Factory Order #1916 and was one of 2000 guns in the shipment. It was made with a "Blue" finish. Type of Stocks is "Not Listed". I found it delightful to find out that this was a "Blued" gun to begin with, instead of being parkerized and blued later on. It now looks like I will be contacting Springfield Armory to see if they can research this pistol even further. My goal is to attain documentation proving that this Colt is in fact an authentic Military Match Pistol and not civilian reproduction as some think it may be. Wish me luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    NICE!!!

Springfield Armory, Inc (Geneseo, IL) probably won't have any information on it.
    Not sure what records that the Springfield Armory (Springfield, MA) has.

3. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That is a beautiful gun!!!

4. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Very nice Colt and I hope you get the info you are looking for.

5. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Very cool to find out it's history. Definitely a sweet score, James. :thumb:

6. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    That's quite an intriguing piece. I'm interested to hear more about it as well. Looking forward to reading more. :smilie:

Good photos, too; the first one in particular looks to capture the finish nicely. How's the texture on the top of the slide?

Andy

7. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Beautiful gun, James :thumb:

8. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    Ok some bad news the military match pistols didn't have stippling. Also because it looks like there is finish inside the stippling it would mean it was refinished. Almost all match pistols are nm marked and from a rebuild facility. As long as you are happy though that's all that matters.

9. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    what are you thinking with this gun? I'm torn between saying what I think/observe and not crushing your pride, but beyond being old, are you indicating it's special because it was 1 of 2000 in a shipment? You know that Springfield of present isn't the Springfield of back then, right? Whatever Colt sent you is all you're going to find out. I got the sneaking suspicion that you've been had on the purchase...high polished blue = refinished = destroyed any collector value in that regard. Stippled = destroyed any collector value in that regard.

I think you got snookered but I'm far from any history buff but I follow along those USGI threads enough to spot the obvious destruction of collector value.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  10. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    A few telling features of the gun say late 60's "Hardball Gun" The sight is a earlyish BoMar being polished blue, the real early ones used a "Micro" and the ones before that had a mix of SW sights. The trigger is aluminum, which would have been a steel trigger with silver soldered shims to fill out the trigger track. The front sight is a later style, early ones used a ramped style. Look inside a military service team would have numbered the barrel and slide with maybe the last three digits of the frame number to keep them together in the units shop. In the bullseye hayday there were also hundreds of smiths building this style gun with all these features. Sorry.
    If you are looking for a true military match gun look for a .38 AMU built by Colt for the Army Marksmanship Unit in Ft. Benning in their own cartridge.

11. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    A real nm 45 would have the nm bushing and numbered slide and barrel with the last 4 of the serial number.

12. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Member

Aug 17, 2011
    This is definitely not a NM pistol. I never represented it as one. It is one of the Military Match pistols made sometime in the early to mid 1960's, quite possibly by a military armorer, but I do not know for sure. I was never able to get any further info from Springfield Armory Archives on the pistol. I do know that the pistol was received at the Springfield Armory in Feb 1943 as a "Blued" 1911A1. It was also sent as being "For: Commanding Officer".

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted