1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just acquired a Colt 38 Super government model. I very much appreciate the members’ amazing scope of knowledge and this forum. So I am looking for insight into keep it vs. build it.

The serial number is 504XX which according to all sources puts it as being manufactured in 1947. 97% condition. No box and letter though. Based on COLT'S SUPER .38 book by Douglas G. Sheldon, this pistol is original with correct leftover parts from military production such as hammers (correct fully blued one) magazine catches, thumb safety's (all of which were checkered) rear sights and commercial grips after colt used out the military surplus grips in 1947.

This pistol has the correct unmarked fat barrel ,---the "fat barrel" started early in 1947 after the perwar barrels and bushings were used up. Based on Sheldon’s book Page 42: ' "Fat" barrels were not marked in any fashion until approximately the 65000 serial range....'

Thanks for any suggestions.
Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Revolver Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

·
KGB Customs LLC
5,271 Posts
Coltwood surplus military grips.
Those are commercial grips, which did start in 1947, but are not Mil Surplus. Not mint (although not far from it), no box, no historical importance as it lays. . . .Cut it

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is beautiful! As you may know, if you decide to shoot it accuracy may be lacking as in those days Colt headspaced the case on the rim. It wasn't until some years later that it was discovered that it need to headspace on the mouth like other straight walled cases to get better accuracy.
Were it mine, I'd have a new barrel fitted so I could shoot it with better accuracy.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is beautiful! As you may know, if you decide to shoot it accuracy may be lacking as in those days Colt headspaced the case on the rim. It wasn't until some years later that it was discovered that it need to headspace on the mouth like other straight walled cases to get better accuracy.
Were it mine, I'd have a new barrel fitted so I could shoot it with better accuracy.
Good point(y).

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You can go get a new 70 series colt off the shelf to build..? What would be the benefit in chopping that one up ? You can't build that kinda awesome .. If i wanted a hot rodded gun (and i do..lol).. i would sell that one to somebody who appreciates it for what it is, and get a different one to build. You all i'm sure know more about this stuff than i do.. Maybe that one "built" would be worth more than a garden variety gun..? But my reflex response would be to preserve that one.

·
KGB Customs LLC
5,271 Posts
You can go get a new 70 series colt off the shelf to build..? What would be the benefit in chopping that one up ? You can't build that kinda awesome .. If i wanted a hot rodded gun (and i do..lol).. i would sell that one to somebody who appreciates it for what it is, and get a different one to build. You all i'm sure know more about this stuff than i do.. Maybe that one "built" would be worth more than a garden variety gun..? But my reflex response would be to preserve that one.
Fair to say, but some guys wanna go fast in an old car not a new one, the heart wants what the heart wants. But my statement about that gun stands, if we look at serious Colt Collectors (read guys with collections of the same $ize as ifsprings or better, but in stock Colts), they will walk right past that gun at a show as it just lacks some condition and its original box, they made over 16.5K 38 Supers in 1947, they are not rare, hard to find in that condition? Sure, but if a guy wants an early post war Custom Colt, I enthusiastically endorse that, and starting with better guns can often yield better guns.

I think the OP 'gets it' and feels the tug at his heart to cut on this gun, because versus a new base, it is just 'built different' as the hip kids say. I would also wager, if he wanted to be a serious Colt Collector, he could find and afford a boxed version of this gun. I take no offense Lisa, it's a very common reaction we get to cutting up these guns, but I have a half dozen or more pre 70 38's in the safe to build for guys so, they are only getting rare-er :p , the 56 in its original box will only hurt a little, like the 62 Factory Nickel one did when it went to the plater for stripping.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Fair to say, but some guys wanna go fast in an old car not a new one, the heart wants what the heart wants. But my statement about that gun stands, if we look at serious Colt Collectors (read guys with collections of the same $ize as ifsprings or better, but in stock Colts), they will walk right past that gun at a show as it just lacks some condition and its original box, they made over 16.5K 38 Supers in 1947, they are not rare, hard to find in that condition? Sure, but if a guy wants an early post war Custom Colt, I enthusiastically endorse that, and starting with better guns can often yield better guns.

I think the OP 'gets it' and feels the tug at his heart to cut on this gun, because versus a new base, it is just 'built different' as the hip kids say. I would also wager, if he wanted to be a serious Colt Collector, he could find and afford a boxed version of this gun. I take no offense Lisa, it's a very common reaction we get to cutting up these guns, but I have a half dozen or more pre 70 38's in the safe to build for guys so, they are only getting rare-er :p , the 56 in its original box will only hurt a little, like the 62 Factory Nickel one did when it went to the plater for stripping.
Havving $$ does expand you horizons and give you a different perspective. I never was a "hip kid"..always the dorky one, rooting for the underdog..lol. The way you explain it, i understand. I learn stuff on here every day..Thank you for the free schooling... But i still wouldn't do it....:ROFLMAO:

·
KGB Customs LLC
5,271 Posts
Havving $$ does expand you horizons and give you a different perspective. I never was a "hip kid"..always the dorky one, rooting for the underdog..lol. The way you explain it, i understand. I learn stuff on here every day..Thank you for the free schooling... But i still wouldn't do it....:ROFLMAO:
That there is what makes America Great, (Wo)Man is free to spend their money (mostly) how they see fit!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Looks like we will have to hold Lisa93 back another year, Ma!

·
Registered
"A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses". George Orwell
882 Posts
Maybe I'm just sentimental.
To me, these old Colts represent a bygone era, a time when the Nation had hope. Before we became so "advanced". I for one would take 1947 over 2022 in a heartbeat. So what if the pistol has a few marks. To suggest a pistol must be 100% and be accompanied by original packaging to be collectible is snobbery. Some of us appreciate our Colts as they are, warts and all. I believe a pistol that has survived 75 years deserves enough respect to not be "improved".
I would be proud to add it to my humble collection.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts