1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I had a choice of a Colt Government Model 1950 that has the following mods versus a Clark Heavy Slide, Rock River, or Baer Wadcutter, which would I give up? Some tell me the Colt is a collectors item. Well I want to shoot and not look at it in a safe. I've got to give up up 1 of 4.
Clark Recoil Spring Guide (5")
Wilson Frame-Saver Buffer
Wolff Reduced Power Recoil Spring 13#
Wolff Reduced Hammer Spring 19#
Wolff Extra Power Firing Pin Spring
ACE trigger shoe
Clark Mount
Wilson Competition Match Trigger
Baer Match Hammer & Sear
Brown Disconnector
Pachmayr Grip Safety

·
Registered
264 Posts
1950 Colt with mods is no longer a collector item. It will be a nice range toy. Just remember to price it as such, don't pay for collector price.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,492 Posts
Unless you're a bullseye shooter I'd keep the Colt and let the Baer go. Then I'd set the Colt up to shoot full power loads, lose the trigger shoe and shock buff, and have fun with it.

How about posting pics of the guns, particularly the Colt?

Reactions: simonp and gps man

·
Premium Member
12,598 Posts
If you actually have a nice condition unmodified 1950s Colt, sell it and buy something like a Dan Wesson. A lot of the mods are done and you're wasting money on some of your options. Regardless, ditch the shock buffs, they cause more problems than they help anything.

·
7,492 Posts
If I had a choice of a Colt Government Model 1950 that has the following mods versus a Clark Heavy Slide, Rock River, or Baer Wadcutter, which would I give up? Some tell me the Colt is a collectors item. Well I want to shoot and not look at it in a safe. I've got to give up up 1 of 4.
Clark Recoil Spring Guide (5")
Wilson Frame-Saver Buffer
Wolff Reduced Power Recoil Spring 13#
Wolff Reduced Hammer Spring 19#
Wolff Extra Power Firing Pin Spring
ACE trigger shoe
Clark Mount
Wilson Competition Match Trigger
Baer Match Hammer & Sear
Brown Disconnector
Pachmayr Grip Safety
You might have mentioned that the Baer was your father's competition gun, that changes things.

Why don't you just keep all 4 guns? What can possibly be forcing you to have to give one of them up?

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might have mentioned that the Baer was your father's competition gun, that changes things.

Why don't you just keep all 4 guns? What can possibly be forcing you to have to give one of them up?
I actually have 5 and must give 1 to my brother. So I'm digging into the original build data and the notes on changes he made. All are pristine as he was a perfectionist and nothing was out pf place. SO 1 goes to family. But I want to turn 1 into another competition gun that's mine from day 1. He would want that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless you're a bullseye shooter I'd keep the Colt and let the Baer go. Then I'd set the Colt up to shoot full power loads, lose the trigger shoe and shock buff, and have fun with it.

How about posting pics of the guns, particularly the Colt?
Pictures, maybe. All guns are pristine. I want to turn 1 of these into my own from day 1 and my father would have wanted that. I have the others and may let the Baer go. Just need to keep pouring through the build and change data I have on all of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1950 Colt with mods is no longer a collector item. It will be a nice range toy. Just remember to price it as such, don't pay for collector price.
I will give this one to my brother and sell the Baer. Then purchase my first 1911 that I've decided upon. I'll have a nice set of choices eventually. I just need to make the minor changes based upon competition I choose in the end.

·
7,492 Posts
Given all the info I'd keep the Colt and have it built into what I wanted. There aren't a ton of 1950 Commercial Models out there and the post war guns have great looking roll marks. One of my favorites that I own is a King's custom '48 Colt, beautiful gun and there won't be anyone else sporting one at the range.

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
100 Posts
A Clark Custom or Les Baer is almost certainly going to be better to shoot. But a customized mid-century Colt sounds pretty cool as well. I'd try to find a way to keep them all.

I will give this one to my brother and sell the Baer. Then purchase my first 1911
I don't quite understand your situation, but it doesn't really make sense (to me) for you to get rid of one of your father's treasured, customized 1911's just to turn around and buy another 1911.

I wouldn't expect a modern, off-the-shelf 1911 to shoot better or be anywhere near as cool to own as the pistols you've already got!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts